Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: Roster
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2021, 03:04:01 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Last thing for today, unless new news comes up. It would be smart if our Bball & Fball reached out to some local kids with the help Aaron Jones to assist in recruiting. El Paso doesn't have as much talent as a lot of metro areas, but at least try to keep some kids here. El Paso loves Aaron a lot. Having him reach out to local kids like the likes of KJ Lewis could make a difference.
    UTEP needs to think outside the box to compete with the bigger schools.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: May 06, 2021, 04:56:13 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I hate to say this about my hometown, but El Paso is filled with the most short-sighted, unimaginative thinkers in terms of marketing, and UTEP is like the pinnacle of that.  Although the local politicians might surpass them.

EP could do so many things to improve its image, but doesn't.  Ditto UTEP.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: May 06, 2021, 08:46:22 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • He picked 6? 10?  f Bonke Maring from Blinn.

UTEP has extended offers to two other JUCO prospects including Jorrell Saterfield (Ranger College, guard) and Jaeden Zackery (Chipola College, guard). They are also in the mix for a pair of Division I transfers?Maryland forward Jairus Hamilton and IUPUI combo guard Jaylen Minnett.

Read More: UTEP Basketball Lands 1st Commitment in JUCO Big Man Bonke Maring | https://krod.com/utep-mens-basketball-lands-1st-commitment-in-juco-big-man-bonke-maring/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

https://krod.com/utep-mens-basketball-lands-1st-commitment-in-juco-big-man-bonke-maring/

Tydus Verhoeven, who entered the transfer portal following the season, is still practicing with the team. Coach Golding told 600 ESPN El Paso two weeks ago that he felt good about potentially keeping Verhoeven on the squad, but nothing has been made official.

Read More: UTEP Basketball Lands 1st Commitment in JUCO Big Man Bonke Maring
    « Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 08:48:46 PM by kyyote »

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: May 10, 2021, 01:30:16 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Zachery committed to Boston College.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: May 10, 2021, 07:52:29 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • verhoeven staying

Dawgma

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: May 10, 2021, 08:46:56 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Just saw that!  It adds a bit more stability to the team concept.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: May 10, 2021, 09:52:56 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Wow. That is big news. He is very welcome. 2 more years of that guy is fantastic. Way to go Golding. We have 3 big men & Verho is great on D. If you think about it, UTRP really only rotated 3 big men. Verho, BW, & Odigie. Sjoland was more a very long 3 that helped rebound. We need 1 more big back up. The rest we need SG & SF.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: May 10, 2021, 10:25:02 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • To me this indicates that he has been told that he be will get an opportunity to show his offense in set plays to a much greater extent and doing it with Boum and others he knows will be better for him that a crap shoot move. It probably means that Williams is gone and Verhoeven figured it would be different next year. All speculation  on my part but we don?t have much else
    « Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 08:21:23 AM by kyyote »

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: May 11, 2021, 10:44:02 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Golding's 1st 2 recruits are big men in 6'10" Bonke (3yrs) & 6'9" Verho (2yrs). Our roster is shaping up nicely, so far.
    1- Bieniemy 6'4"
    2- Boum 6'2"
    3- Kennedy 6'6"?
    4- Maring 6'10"
    5- Verhoeven 6'9"
    This is a long squad.
    Back ups are Onyema, Agnew, White, Clardy, & Dakonic.
    Our starting line up looks pretty good. I also agree with KY that Verho will need to take BW's & Odigie's place in scoring opportunities. His issue with scoring is he was too slow going to the hoop. If he speeds up & works on a few post moves, his size will help him finish. If Kennedy & Bieniemy can't hit the jumper with consistency, then I hope Golding has them drive/score & drive/kick out. Agnew is great on D, but because he is not quick or long, he needs to hit jumpers & less driving to the hoop.
    We need 1 more mid/big man (6'6"+) & 2 more shooters (height not as important).
    Just so you all know, I think our talent is stronger than Goldings ACU team that beat TX. I could only imagine what these kids can do with his style of play.

Let's see who else Golding brings to the table.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: May 11, 2021, 10:59:34 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think we need a solid backup PG we can trust.  I don't really trust any of the other guards with primary ballhandling duties in a critical moment.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: May 11, 2021, 11:46:51 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think I agree with you Sis.
    But let me get even less specific in my analysis. I think we all are thinking of our players as the players they were when we last saw them-under Terry. They will be a year older and that year will have been spent with Golding when we see them next. Apples and oranges. Let me try and give an example. Like you said about Verhoeven I agree, but I don?t think it will be like that.  I think he will be put in position to shoot his short jumpers wide open based on precision ball movement. I see him being in completely different position and attitude under the basket because teams won?t just collapse and clog inside. I think Kennedy will get opportunities to use his athleticism to his best advantage. If we play smothering defense Agnew and Kennedy have a chance to make defense great again and it would allow them to take advantage of their best assets.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: May 11, 2021, 02:58:16 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I agree with everything you are saying about these guys in terms of shooting.  There's a rhythm to an offense and when players are in tune with that they shoot much better.  I expect better shooting out of every one of them.  But bringing the ball upcourt with someone (or two) in your face is different.  That's all about being cool headed and confident.  That's why I'm more worried about a backup PG than more shooters.  Boum freaks out. Kennedy is not under tight control.  Agnew is all over the place.  Just a backup Gym Bice kind of guy that isn't going to do anything stupid for 2-3 minutes to give Bienemy a breather is all we need.  And he will need a breather if we play the kind of D I think we will.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: May 11, 2021, 03:05:53 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think we need a solid backup PG we can trust.  I don't really trust any of the other guards with primary ballhandling duties in a critical moment.
    Good point, Sis. Boum handling the ball at the end of the Kansas game was proof we need a ball handler. Plus, Agnew with all those lost balls started to take it's toll. I really don't know anything about White & Clardy's ball handling skills. Looking at Golding's teams, they had good ball handlers & guards.
    Now that I think about it deeper, Golding checks off on most of what Haskins would consider a good coaching style.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: May 11, 2021, 07:49:47 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I went back and watched the ACU UT game. I think us old folks are going to love this team. It is basketball defense played the way we learned it from The Bear. Also, and it is a real wild thought, but I could see a way that BW could stay here. Williams weakness is defense. He picks up early fouls and sits to fifteen minutes of the fist half. In the pros others offensive stars will wear him out. Terry never even tried I don?t think. But Golding will demand it And convince Bryson that it is for his own good. I think Golding might be able to sell him that the defensive training of a year would be worth more than the exposure of a bigger team. Golding could sell ice in Alaska.  If he were to be able to keep BW while coaching his way the team would be very dangerous.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: May 11, 2021, 08:24:08 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I went back and watched the ACU UT game. I think us old folks are going to love this team. It is basketball defense played the way we learned it from The Bear. Also, and it is a real wild thought, but I could see a way that BW could stay here. Williams weakness is defense. He picks up early fouls and sits to fifteen minutes of the fist half. In the pros others offensive stars will wear him out. Terry never even tried I don?t think. But Golding will demand it And convince Bryson that it is for his own good. I think Golding might be able to sell him that the defensive training of a year would be worth more than the exposure of a bigger team. Golding could sell ice in Alaska.  If he were to be able to keep BW while coaching his way the team would be very dangerous.

As it has been written, so let it be.

Actually, you may be on to something.  As much as I could tell that the guys weren't getting offensive coaching, it wasn't obvious to me that they weren't getting defensive coaching because at times they were quite good.  So I just assumed that BW either wasn't much interested in D, or was just too slow.  But maybe he was just not being taught  -- "let them figure it out".  He always has seemed coachable.
    « Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 08:27:19 PM by SisyphusMiner »