SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Roster
« on: April 14, 2021, 09:36:45 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Has anyone been keeping track of the roster situation?

Who has definitely left, who is in the portal but not formally left, and who is still with us as far as we know?

Obviously this is subject to change once coach and players meet, and he views film or whatever he needs to do to decide who he does and doesn't want.  If they aren't already gone, I would like to see him attempt to re-recruit TV and Agnew for their defensive intensity.  Both could score better in a properly designed offense.  I also feel like a better coach could make much better use of Sjolund and his lights out shooting from 3.

Due to our offensive "strategy" we had one reliable scoring threat -- Boum, based primarily on volume of shots. 

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Roster
    « Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 11:52:15 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I believe Verho, Odigie, & Hess entered the transfer portal. It doesn't mean they are leaving, but that they are keeping options open. Vila & Williams were Sr's & have a choice to either stay or Grad transfer. I don't think Williams will stay, but it might be smart to keep Vila.
    Because this coach is truly a players coach, he should do a good job at retaining who he wants.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 02:31:54 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I just did some poking around on our roster and on the transfer portal.  If you assume players that have announced are leaving (plus Williams), as of right now we have two players on the team that are higher than 2 stars -- Bienemy and Kennedy.  If Fisher still comes that makes three.

There's a LOT of players on the transfer portal  Most are 2 star, but there's a reasonable number of 3-4 star players. 

For reference, according to Verbal Commits, within CUSA we have the 3rd highest average star with 2.52 with ODU #1 and UAB #2.  Obviously the star ranking is not great, but it suggests that we are all getting roughly the same talent. UNT near the bottom which shows the value of coaching skills.  Within the WAC, no one is even close to NMSU at 2.87 which is higher than anyone in CUSA.

So using the weak rating system, even with our current talent level if CJG can make the most of them we should be at or near the top which we all felt.  A relatively minor upgrade in talent from the portal and there is no reason we can't dominate CUSA like NMSU dominates the WAC.  All assuming Golding is the coach we think he is.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 06:34:23 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Just saw Sjoland will be transferring. We are really running put of big men. We can't be upset. Yes the guy can shoot, but if you suck at D, you are not gonna play. I wish the kid all the luck where ever he goes. Another thing I noticed, the kids the jump to more than 2 schools, have lots of problems. UTEP is done with problems.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 01:06:04 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Williams just entered portal. We all expected that. I hope all the best for him. If he goes to TX, then I hope they win the whole thing.
    While that is going on, I'm sending Golding good vibes to pick up talented kids.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 02:40:58 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Fisher gone.

Gonzaga has a 7-0 5-star center transferring out -- hey I can dream.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 03:42:23 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Boum g
    Kennedy g
    Agnew g
    Bienemy g
    Onyema f
    White g
    Clardy g
    Dekoninck f

Spellings are not guaranteed but this is what UTEP has on their website.

It seems to me that Coach will be putting his team on the floor on day one. It may be the foundation but it is going to be mostly his team he plays with unlike inheriting a complete team. I think Boum is just fine. I will bet you that he becomes a defensive madman. East Bay Grease means something in Northern California. Bienemy will play defense like crazy. Kennedy and Agnew will play defense. Those two need direction and control but their energy level is good enough to play fine defense. But we have nothing beyond that besides raw athleticism and hope.
    « Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 07:17:56 PM by kyyote »

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 08:03:19 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • That top 5 you put up are a pretty good team in Conf USA. Actually, playing small is what UTEP has had a history of winning with. Onyema needs work, but he'll learn quickly. We really need 1 more combo guard & a few big guys.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 09:07:40 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think with the way that Coach plays defense that the four guards will perhaps keep each other fresh. I expect him to bring in some height and power for some balance.  I think he is a control freak and every move both offensively and defensively is very strictly choreographed. I think he will have a desire to feed it in down in the paint for uncontested layups. This isn?t going to be Barber?s attack the glass and stuff it in or Terry?s dependence on Williams or Boum to be on.
    Just guessing but I think we may see basketball that The Bear could maybe even smile about.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 11:21:08 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Saw Williams has visited Texas Tech. My kid is a student there & he is stoked if he goes. I think Williams would be a good fit for his last year there. Kind of crazy this will be his 6th year in college. I hope he gets his Masters.

Now, we need a few big guys to come here that can defend the way Golding expects.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 12:07:10 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I figure he will follow Terry to UT.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: April 24, 2021, 02:53:16 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So...I was looking at some ACU film and those boys are in constant motion when playing defense. Our guards are going to need rest with that relentless defense. Big men keep the paint clear while guards contest every perimeter shot. Golding needs to recruit a whole team. I'm talking 3 more long kids & 2 combo guards.
    Just looking at that defense gives me chills.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 11:14:42 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I see Joe is hitting the JUCO trail hard. He has offered 3 combo guards. 2 of them from the borderland (Las Cruces & El Paso). These are straight up hustle kids.
    I haven't seen any activity for big men. Will he keep the likes of Verho & Williams? If he does, he shall be referred to as Coach Hudini. Ideally, we need about 3 (6'7"-6'9") kids. I'm also hoping the guards he brings in are scorers. I know we all want shooters, but some of our best players were not shooters. They were scorers.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 12:31:32 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I saw something that Boum was statistically one of the best catch and shoot scorers in the country.  I think he felt like he had to force things because no one else could score -- and maybe CRT told him to.

If they can create catch and shoot opportunities for him through an offense designed to do that, he can be a lot more efficient.

If Williams stays, and they can run some legitimate pick and roll plays, he could really rack up a lot of points.  That would create opportunities for him where he has the ball in motion towards the hoop.  If they double, he may score anyway or kick out to Boum for that catch and shoot.

If no Williams, they can still create opportunities via screens.  I have legit never seen a college team set worse screens than the CRT teams.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 01:10:21 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • A couple of thoughts to throw in. I know I have mentioned it before but I don?t think it can be underestimated, and that is the tradition? or culture maybe of Oakland basketball. I think that Boum will  bloom under CG.  I think that the kind of a active defense and the pressure it brings will allow him to be a much more complete offensive player. In the process although I am almost sure that Williams will be gone, but all players on the floor will be much more actively involved in the offense the defensive pressure brings. As the game progresses and the pressure takes its toll the controlled offense becomes easier, too.