Author Topic: basketball  (Read 13355 times)

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: basketball
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2021, 12:02:14 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Do you know when he will be eligible?
    I'm guessing as soon as he gets here. I don't think he played a single game for SDSU. Not sure how that would work. Plus, the kid has not played competitive ball for a year. May need to get unrusted

Two things: Unrusted and willing to play the Golding defense. If he's just gonna be a let me shoot guy then we already have some but if he does I hope he's as good as they say and makes them instead of lobbing clunkers.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: December 07, 2021, 12:55:14 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I can't imagine him transferring here under the illusion he doesn't have to play tough D.

The speed of D1 can make a good shooter not a good shooter, but you have to like your chances that a 4 star out of Baltimore will find a way to contribute.

Kennedy is a 4 star and he contributes in a lot of ways, but that jump shot is pretty erratic.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: December 07, 2021, 03:53:06 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • My mistake fellas. He is not a 5☆. It was Kwami Evans' stats I was looking at out of Baltimore as well.
    This kid is still an offensive beast. If he is eligible for Spring, I don't think it's a good idea to play. He would lose a year of eligibility & he would be behind. While I very much want to win, the growth & future of this team depends on the blueprint set this year. Setting a foundation doesn't mean winning now, but it does mean winning tomorrow.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: December 07, 2021, 09:10:13 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I figured out why Kennedy keeps jacking up 3's. Because we don't have any shooters. Boum is a scorer, but not really a shooter. We have no offensive game in the paint.
    I am actually not mad. We knew we weren't gonna win it. We just hoped it would be more competitive.
    Anyway, I don't think we should dwell on the game so much. Our kids are still trying to get Golding ball & it takes time. Playing a team like that during our time of learning is a tough call. Golding is coaching his kids for the conference play and setting a new blueprint for the program.
    I was going to grade each kids effort, but thought I'd concentrate on the coaches & the program. I don't think I can give a grade for the coaching either. This game was unfair to them.
    GO MINERS
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: December 08, 2021, 08:02:57 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It's kind of looking like Golding isn't going to change anything defensively due to the opponent.  We are going to run it until we get it right.  It may be that way all year.  If he still never changes up defenses next year then I have an issue with that.  None of our guys could consistently deflect KU guards on the dribble drive, and that's a consistent problem for us.

I honestly don't know what offensive scheme you could implement that would help "the gang that couldn't shoot straight".  If you can't make jump shots and you can't make layups, there's not a lot of options left for a coach.

Most of our guys score on volume, not percent, and yet not one of them will follow their own shot.  They jack one up and then head back up court like it's money.  The only guy that looks like he is an efficient scorer is Sibley and I wish he would be more assertive offensively.  I still like Kalu and Maring but they are so so raw.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: December 08, 2021, 08:26:33 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I do think that our freshmen and sophomores will prove to be better players than our juniors and seniors have proven to be.  So at least there's that.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: December 08, 2021, 08:38:46 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We can?t shoot and have no inside game. I wondered how you can have a basketball team that can?t shoot. They can?t make layups!  And we have no inside game. Do we have no inside game because people six feet nine inches tall can?t put the ball through the hoop or are they being not given the chance. You, me, and my wife can see that we can?t shoot. But we jack up three pointers that don?t even hit backboards. Is Golding coaching that?  Can he not help it. That?s the players he has so that?s the players taking the shots. Bieniemy and Kennedy should not be allowed to shoot a three pointer. At all.
    The Bear used to say you can?t teach seven feet or something like that. He used to sit Greg Foster for wanting to play guard. He?d say that guards were a dime a dozen but seven feet?  When you can?t make you shots get closer. When you are so close that you are shooting layups and missing them get closer!  Have big men shove it through the damned hoop!
    While you are at it, figure out how you got a basketball team that can?t shoot. That needs to be the first thing you do. Figure out how it is that we have a team that can?t shoot. Because however we managed to do that we don?t want to do it again.

Stats from the game;

31.1%   13.0%   fg% and 3pt fg%  If you shoot 13%from 3 point range how many games does it take to adjust to the fact that you can't shoot and try to get to the hoop to get close enough to make your shots.  I mean this is third grade basketball.  If you were playing bb with your friends and shot 13% from 3 point range your friends would tell you(if they even had to)hey asshole, stop shooting from there.  But, we have a coach for that.  Golding has to do something.  Somehow, some way, he has to figure out how to run an offense that doesn't involve shooting three pointers until he finds someone that can shoot.  I'm trying to figure out how our players got here.  Not trying to be shitty about this, but can someone tell me why we have players that seem not to be able to play basketball.  I mean basketball is pretty simple.  Put ball in hoop and keep the other guy from doing it.  Name the player and tell me if he does either well.  You wouldn't think it would be hard to do.  But try it.  Take away Boum.  Go down the roster and see if you can name the players that can do both-put the ball in the hoop and keep the other guy from doing it.  Does anyone else think it is strange that we "can't shoot"? 

Our whole game is based on making it really hard for the opponent to get an easy shot.  The enemy doesn't have to even worry about that.  We can't make layups.  We make easy shots hard all on our own.  AND we don't like layups anyways! THEN we look for the harder shots to take!  Run out to shoot a three you have no prayer of hitting!  Golding draws up defenses while the opponent's coach says get out of their way and let them run out past the arc to throw up a brick, and one of you run down under our hoop for a long pass and a layup after we get the rebound. 
    « Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 09:15:56 AM by kyyote »

Alaska Miner

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: December 08, 2021, 10:52:50 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I agree with all of these comments. I am at a loss as to how they can shoot this bad. In essence, that has been the story of all their losses. They just can?t shoot! :o
    I don?t get it. Possibly the worst shooting Miner team I?ve ever seen.  Not sure, but damn close to the worst, anyway.
    Let's go Brandon!

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: December 08, 2021, 05:42:28 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The way the Miners play is like how a football team can't win with just a running attack or a passing attack. With the way the Miner basketball team is playing opposing teams know that they can't shoot the three to save their lives or make the easy layup or worst yet guard their bigs under the basket.

Heck, the Miner guards love to shoot the three (and miss) and the Miner bigs are afraid to put it up under the basket. No small wonder it's called basketball, the Miners are a basket case.

Bytor

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: December 09, 2021, 10:38:10 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I know it's early still but my impression is that Golding seems to care only about defense. All of the players efforts are focused on defense and they don't seem to have much left for offense. Usually, when you miss shots, it's because of tired legs.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: December 09, 2021, 11:02:43 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • That is a good point. Nice way to jump in.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: December 09, 2021, 11:30:50 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • agree guys look tired.  TV always looks exhausted.
    KU played hard D and rebounded hard and pushed tempo and didn't look tired.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: December 10, 2021, 01:27:16 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Verbal Commits shows we offered 6'11" C 260lbs Jimmy Bell transfer from St. Louis Bilikins. I saw some clips of the guy. He's not a jumper, but has good post moves and an OK defender. This kind of guy is much needed. We don't have a big man that can score. Verho was thought to take the place of Williams. Boy was Golding wrong on that kid.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: December 10, 2021, 02:06:57 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I always thought that CRT was just feeding the beast, BW. TV was just doing his part in the feeding.  We seem to have discovered that TV was always Ed McMahon and not Jay Leno. He was and is a second banana. I thought and still think that that is a big part of the job. I believe it is part of Golding?s job to develop that in TV and design plays and put TV in place to succeed and develop that part of his game. Not to mention that the team needs it.
    « Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 04:56:17 PM by kyyote »

Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: December 10, 2021, 03:43:27 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I always thought that CRT was just feeding the beast, BE. TV was just doing his part in the feeding.  We seem to have discovered that TV was always Ed McMahon and not Jay Leno. He was and is a second banana. I thought and still think that that is a big part of the job. I believe it is part of Golding?s job to develop that in TV and design plays and put TV in place to succeed and develop that part of his game. Not to mention that the team needs it.

What Golding needs to impress on TV is that if you're afraid of taking it to the basket and afraid of mixing it with the other big guys that he's sitting down and will become just a spectator. No need for coddling, he's old enough to be told how it is.

Ky, I thing that's why so many military veterans are so successful after getting out because we're never pampered and we are told how things are. Do you agree.