Author Topic: basketball  (Read 13356 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: basketball
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2021, 08:33:04 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Wow, Golding still has not coached on how to defend the back door. I know we need to defend the perimeter on a smaller team, but these lay ups & dunks are getting ridiculous. Both teams with 25 rebounds.

Golding: I feel bad for him. He can't keep his kids healthy. Because of it, he is still experimenting with different line ups. He will ha e a very tough game today if he can't get Boum & Verho back.
    Bieniemy: Had some lapses in judgement, but was cool overall.
    Agnew: Finally hits shots. Guy is a defensive wrecking ball. Control the silly fouls & keep rebounding.
    White: Is in for his defense. Has little confidence in shooting except for that prayer he hit.
    Saterfield: Getting better on D, but needs to be in more for his scoring. Would love him to rebound more.
     Kennedy: Such a talented & confident kid. His D has always been good, but his O has picked up a few levels. Great to see.
    Sibley: He might still be shaking off that flu still, but did help a bit on interior D. His offensive footwork is good & needs to use it more.
    Kalu: Is strictly in for his D. I need to see him rebound more. Has 1 post move that scored. How about doing that more.
    Mering: Yikes. Play Onyema instead.

SG's did their jobs with scoring, however, Boum will really be needed tonight if we are going to win. Plus, if Verho is out again, we will  keep getting dunked on. Onyema & Boum were out for food poisoning. If they come back today, they won't have energy.

Overall, last night's performance deserves a B-.  Why, because poor interior D & rebounding.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #61 on: December 22, 2021, 09:48:08 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Overall agree.
    I think I heard them say Onyema had food poisoning too.  Maring needs to learn how to play within himself.  Get rebounds, and don't shoot more than 2 feet from the basket.  Learn how to play D.

Sibley definitely didn't seem like the guy we've seen to this point, so yeah probably still not feeling 100%.

I still think most of the back door cuts are because the guards are getting beat on dribble penetration.  Lots of time their defender left them to help cover.  Sometimes the defender just fell asleep.

I think we have underappreciated just how much Verho adds defensively.  He's not blocking a zillion shots but he plays smart, sold defensive ball.  Wish he could score.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #62 on: December 22, 2021, 10:19:56 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Gethro Muscadin 6'10" C for Lobos just left the team. We could use him.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #63 on: December 22, 2021, 02:47:55 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I wasn't impressed with Kalu at all. He still looks lost and he also needs to jump higher than 3" (okay maybe I exaggerated a bit).

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #64 on: December 23, 2021, 12:48:47 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Bradley was a team we could have used Verho for. Looking at the play from Boum the 1st 5min, I knew we were not gonna win.

Golding: I think he got more out of his kids that are more roll players. This was not a game to press the sick & injured kids to play. He made the right choice. That's why I love this guy.
    Bieniemy: Did OK. He was a bit sloppy & lost a few balls, but just came back from concussion. He's still working through cob webs. Need more scoring.
    Boum: He was about 60%. Poor guy had no energy. He did his best on D & didn't do much on O unless he was open.
    Agnew: still a defensive beast, but more bricks & bad decisions in the paint. Ugh
    Saterfield: He is getting better every game. Needs to keep shooting & play tighter D.
    Kennedy: Needed him to score more to have a chance. Still was best player on the court. We'll need him to score more against Conf foes.
    Hollins: He did more clean up work than anything. Glad he's only 1yr. Has reached his ceiling.
    Sibley: another kid shaking of Flu cob webs. He did much better, but not enough. Want to see him doing more offensive paint work. Still waiting to see his potential.
    Kalu: Played hard, but big men gave him a hard time. Need more production if plays 20+min.
    Maring: Played much harder. Had 1 less reb than Kalu w/half the playing time. Needs to be a lot more active or he'll be gone.
    White & Giffa in for less than 1min.

The team last night gets  D+. I realize kids are still recovering, but to lose a lead like that with our defense is horrible. Kennedy needed to make a few more plays on O for us to win that one. We only hit 78% FT. If it was 85%, we win. It was attention to detail was was our demise. I trust Golding will have them ready for Conf play. This team is not a post play team this year. Golding needs 1 more year & 2 more key pieces to be at that level.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #65 on: December 23, 2021, 04:53:32 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Agnew, Maring, and Hollins need to stop shooting 3s

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #66 on: December 23, 2021, 05:33:50 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think we are about exactly what our record is at 7 and 5.  We have guys that Golding has playing as hard as they can and the guys have a lot of heart.  But actual basketball ability is somewhat limited.  Boum is a basketball player.  All around, basketball player with basketball skills.  There are others who are athletes and energy and heart but just not very good at shooting or even dribbling.  That is who I was as a kid.  Shots were aimed in the general direction, and some went in but most didn't and like with some of our guys, dribbling is an adventure.  But I was on you like a cheap suit on defense and wormy under the basket.  We have at least two or three of these guys.  Think of the ability to put 5 players on the floor at the same time.  If you have Boum you play him until he drops.  That is pretty much it on offense and defense.  Kennedy is defense and rebounds but the offense may be great but it may not be.  After that it gets tough to find offense without breaking the defense.  I think we are that.  Youth we have and look to the future, or transfer portal?  I expect to win about half in conference, maybe.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #67 on: December 26, 2021, 11:31:30 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So...
    I did a lot of digging into Che Evans Jr. Sis is correct that he will be eligible on Jan 4th, granted SDSU doesn't get in the way.
    I looked at some of his vids & while he can shoot and jump, he lacked quickness, energy, & a sense of urgency on D.

Breaking down High Schools vids:
    Positives- he was able to shoot from anywhere, gave smaller guys problems playing defense in the paint, & has good footwork facing or with back to basket.
    Negatives- He stood around a lot playing defense outside of 10' and lacked quickness.
    When he played with Team Melo, he played with a lot of dominant PG & SG that were ball hogs. Didn't see much of his skills there.

Breaking down SDSU practice:
    - Most of the film was him shooting from outside & not so much driving or playing D.

If this kid doesn't conform to defense, he will not play & may transfer to a smaller school after his semester here.
    I also read he had a knee injury his Sr year & he may have been nursing that.
    The kid made ESPN's, 247, & all other scouting sites Top 50 in the country before his injury. Of he is healed & not afraid of testing that knee, along with quick outside D, he will help a lot. If he moves like on the vids, he may see a max of 15min a game.
    I'm pretty sure it was all laid out for him when Golding recruited him.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #68 on: January 13, 2022, 06:12:17 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Once again, no 1 can score except JB. Boum only hitting FTs. Very tough to watch.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #69 on: January 13, 2022, 06:41:15 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This game is a shit show. Didn't think I'd see another poor performance from this team. Turnovers, scoring, & flat hustle was this evenings issue.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #70 on: January 14, 2022, 07:18:33 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • With the currently available players, it looks like our best lineup is:

Bienemy, Boum, Satterfield, Onyema, Verho

4 of these are capable of scoring.  The B bros got their points on volume.  Not the way to win.  Boum is so streaky we can't rely on him night after night.  And Satterfield finally had a poor shooting game.

Sibley first big off the bench.  Hollins getting way too many minutes.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #71 on: January 15, 2022, 12:02:48 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The past two days I have been watching cusa games and these are the standings. Notice anything?  UTEP?

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    « Reply #72 on: January 15, 2022, 02:07:52 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I had noticed that.  We don't count1

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #73 on: January 15, 2022, 02:08:43 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Maybe we're going to the mwc.

LOL, yeah right.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #74 on: January 15, 2022, 09:45:34 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Hollins played his best game as a Miner
    Don?t understand why Clardy got so much PT
    Onyema barely played

Boum as always is our biggest problem and our salvation.  Early in the game I was wondering if he was our problem.  Late in the game he out the team on his back and carried them