Author Topic: basketball  (Read 13354 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: basketball
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2021, 05:12:32 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Mine is not to wonder why. Mine is but to do or die!  Long before Yoda.

I was blessed to have been put in leadership positions in the Army that allowed me to achieve leadership positions on the outside, along with a hard headed determination to be the best person for the job. Any job. I learned that from my first father-in-law who was my boss when I was 17 and just out of high school. Having been small and skinny most of my life and having been picked on when I was a kid by two older brothers I am a tad insane. When I was younger I enjoyed working big guys to damned near death on production lines because no one could out  work me. Pride and orneriness.
    « Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 07:04:29 PM by kyyote »

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: December 11, 2021, 08:56:08 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I will be on an airplane during the game.  Looking forward to hearing y?alls thoughts

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: December 13, 2021, 08:44:44 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Can someone who watched the game give a quick synopsis on coaching & player performance? Looking at box scores, Kennedy & Boum killed it, but not much on the rest. Sibley had the Flu, Bieniemy out with injury, & Verho dealing with sore back. That's all I have so far.
    I hear coach killed their big scorers with hard D.
    Thanks
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: December 13, 2021, 11:12:38 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Can someone who watched the game give a quick synopsis on coaching & player performance? Looking at box scores, Kennedy & Boum killed it, but not much on the rest. Sibley had the Flu, Bieniemy out with injury, & Verho dealing with sore back. That's all I have so far.
    I hear coach killed their big scorers with hard D.
    Thanks

https://themw.com/watch/?id=6286500485001

I watched the whole game on this site. Crimson Aggie from cusa forum posted it. I hope you can still see it.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: December 14, 2021, 09:13:53 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Thanks, Mojo.
    Just saw the whole game.
    Golding: relentless defense on big shooters & cleared the paint a bit. Great game plan.
    Boum: our best scoring option & was a thorn on D. Love how he hits his FT's.
    Kennedy: hats off. Kid played PG for 1st time & was brilliant. His D is always solid, but he found another gear on O. Nice.
    White: Kid is just a body going through motions. I don't see him sticking around.
    Saterfield: Kid get better every time he is on court. Needs to keep shooting & working on D.
    Agnew: scrappy & tough. Needs to work on his jumper. He's in for his D & rebounding only.
    Hollins: Played much better. I like him on short min & not full game. He plays better that way. His O was better & D was also scrappy.
    Sibley: Can't score him for tonight. Only put him in for D & blocking. He was ill.
    Kalu: Got dirty on D & was great on pit backs. That's exactly what we need in a big man. I like this freshman. Not there yet but will be.
    Maring: Needs to be more busy & clear that paint. His type of game is for a quick person. He really needs to work on quickness.
    Verho: I heard he has back soreness, but he was OK. He was disruptive, cleared paint, & had a few pit backs. He is a 5 & not 4.

Surprised not to see Giffa. It means coach doesn't like what he sees yet. I'm glad coach didn't use him, because our height really messed with the Lobos guards. Also, not many set plays. Our speed & height created shots the D was very quick & didn't allow them to find any rhythm.
    I give the team an A-. The minus is because Miners need to work on set plays & quicker passing.

"He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #50 on: December 14, 2021, 09:39:19 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So I keep reading chatter on the SDSU transfer Che Evans Jr in not only is he eligible for Spring ball, but will have an immediate scoring impact.
    I really don't think he will be playing much in the beginning. He still needs to learn the Golding Blueprint which is relentless defense. It's gonna take him some time, but a great addition none the less. If he can shoot like Saterfield was supposed to shoot, then he will be welcome. Still can't trust anyone on this team for 3 ball accuracy.
    Back to Evans. He is a 4☆ & Verbal Commits has him at 6'5", but others at 6'7"? I saw vids of the kid & he is no defender. He slides at times & puts his hands up, but stood around most of his high-school vids. I think I know why SDSU parted with him. He will get a wake up call to play D here. I hope he transitions quickly.
    « Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 09:59:35 AM by Chanson »

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: December 15, 2021, 07:52:48 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I had some down time at a hotel and went back and watched a replay of the UNM game.

We looked like we had more of a clue what we were trying to do offensively, but this is still our weakness.  Without a monster game from Kennedy we lose that one.  Can he become a consistent offensive presence?

Agree with Chanson observations.

Satterfield sure has a pretty shot.  Gotta learn to play better D.
    I still like Kalu.  He was our leading offensive rebounder in only 10 minutes.  Slowly learning how to deal with the physicality of D1.  Not there yet.
    Maring no change.  Still OK offensive game, still totally lost defensively most of the time.
    Hollins showed improvement defensively.

TV back issues might explain why he always looks exhausted.  Maybe it's not exhaustion but pain.  Or pain causing exhaustion.

Right now I like starting 5 (if all healthy)

Bienemy
    Boum
    Kennedy
    Sibley
    TV

Off the bench, Agnew gives toughness and energy, Satterfield a reliable 3, the big guys are just spelling Sibley and TV.  Kennedy looking like best backup for Bienemy -- I don't trust Boum at point.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: December 15, 2021, 05:44:12 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • You know, something came to mind while I was watching the NM game. It occurred to me that Maring seems like another Tofi. He has about the same height and body. I liked the kid he was a little lost but that's to be expected from a Frosh. Tofi wasn't exactly burning the hoop either and I think Maring will become an important member of the squad.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: December 15, 2021, 06:57:20 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • You know, something came to mind while I was watching the NM game. It occurred to me that Maring seems like another Tofi. He has about the same height and body. I liked the kid he was a little lost but that's to be expected from a Frosh. Tofi wasn't exactly burning the hoop either and I think Maring will become an important member of the squad.
    I hope so. I think Maring is a Soph. Also, Tofi was better at clearing the paint.

Also, let's break down the talent at the star level this year.
    Hollins 3.7☆
    Bieniemy 3.5☆
    Sibley 4☆
    Kennedy 4☆
    Evans 4☆
    Golding is doing well on the recruiting trail. Just need 1 4☆ big man & then DAMN.
    « Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 07:21:11 PM by Chanson »

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: December 17, 2021, 08:34:01 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • No Verho certainly affected the game.
    Sibley still sick?

Kalu looks better every game.
    Satterfield nice shooter, need to learn how to play D
    Will either Onyema or Maring learn how to play D?

Maybe Kennedy just needs ball in his hands more?
    Why is Kennedy the leading rebounder?  7 players on the team listed as taller.
    Note, Kalu is 10th in minutes played per game, and 3rd in rebounds per game.  Also highest FG%.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: December 17, 2021, 11:09:38 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yup. No Verho, Bieniemy, or Sibley. Sibley started, but had no energy & sat out rest of game. If McNeese hit free throws, we might be upset about the loss.

Golding- Still has work to do. We should have killed it on D, but 3 starters out took its toll. I don't think I ever have seen Golding so pist. He's gonna need blood pressure meds.
    Let's break down each player starting with the 1.
    Kennedy- this quicker team exposed his ball skills, however, his shooting, D, & rebounding shined. I love this kid.
    Giffa- Still needs to speed his game up. Euro kids have always had this issue. Along with bad D.
    Boum- Brought his game in the 2nd half. He is too fast to be a PG, but last 10min was racing ball up. Needed it w/Bieniemy out.
    Saterfield- Coming out party on O. Still needs help w/D, but he's improving. He had best dunk of the year last night. Should be on ESPN top 10.
    Agnew- A beast on D, but got in foul trouble with those quick guards. Has no business shooting unless he attacks rim.
    White- Getting better. Had a decent game, but I think we have seen his ceiling.
    Hollins- I can figure him out. He is off & on. Last night he was off. I think his issue is footwork.
    Onyema- So athletic, but still can't play D. His D did throw the 7'er off, but needs work on reading the floor. He also needs to work on post moves.
    Maring- The kid is lost & slow. Has very little game on both ends. Golding will need to make a decision if he can pick up a better big man.
    Kalu- He looks like a school boy, but I like his game. It's green, but he cleans up messes with put backs, rebounding, & strength. Once he figures out some post moves, Oh My. There was a moment he was defending & stood & stared while he was being dunked on. I hope that woke his ass up.

We still can't defend back door. While some players got an A, overall I grade the performance a C+.
    You might be thinking I'm a bit harsh after a WIN. Here is why. We couldn't trap, D broke down in paint, lost track of how many dunks & lay ups they had, we couldn't rebound like we should, & Agnew keeps jacking up bricks. Our guards adjusted to their incredible shooting, but couldn't defend feeds in the paint.
    I just hope Verho's back issue is not serious.

Go Miners.
    « Last Edit: December 17, 2021, 11:16:07 AM by Chanson »

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: December 17, 2021, 12:00:56 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Teicher said TV and Bieniemy had concussions. Or we?re under concussion protocols.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: December 19, 2021, 08:44:31 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Does anyone know when Spring ball officially starts? Reason for asking is I want to know when the new transfer, Che Evans, is eligible to play. His shooting might be good, but he will need to acclimate an intense defense.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: December 19, 2021, 08:56:14 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • One of the articles on the transfer said Jan 4

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: December 20, 2021, 09:37:27 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Good to know. He won't be hear until conference play. Not sure about practicing with team, but I hope he can help.