Author Topic: Go Big Or Go Home  (Read 2475 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Go Big Or Go Home
« on: April 07, 2021, 08:34:39 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We are but a poor farmer(hat in hand) and don?t have any money for coaches. That approach is what we fall back on. Our poor students have to work four jobs in the fields and don?t have the extra $20 for coaches. Bullshit!  We don?t eat dirt. It takes money to make money. We need to stop shopping for coaches at the Savers and Goodwill stores. Get a deal and win a few games and watch attendance continue to drop or spend the money(you don?t get the Mercedes from the Dyer Street lot).  You bite the bullet and get a new car. One that you can count on.
    Terry and Dimel are open, gaping wounds bleeding UTEP sports life away. We can?t just change bandage. We need surgery. 
    Some programs are strong and can afford to take a chance. We are dying and what?s ridiculous is we could easily be saved by a doctor but we go to Walgreens and look for a good bandage!  I know I have mixed metaphors but maybe that?s because there?s so many that fit. This isn?t complicated. Continue to lose and we are done. Win and El Paso will pack the house. Guaranteed money for a winner.
    « Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 08:44:40 AM by kyyote »

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Go Big Or Go Home
    « Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 10:07:54 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Agreed.
    That BS Natalicio had a few years ago for students to vote on a small fee. Grow a pair & know this is the cost to come here & here is what it includes. People will come no matter what.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

MinerMaestro

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 10:19:05 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Agreed.
    That BS Natalicio had a few years ago for students to vote on a small fee. Grow a pair & know this is the cost to come here & here is what it includes. People will come no matter what.
    Agreed.  $50 per credit hour is not a big ask but would generate a good chunk of change towards coach's salaries.  Would put us on a level playing field with other high end mid-majors. 

Did rabbit ever come back?
    "My centre is giving way, my right is retreating, situation excellent, I am attacking."
    - Gen Ferdinand Foch

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 10:35:24 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • If Terry was getting $575k to be a bandaid and he was in the upper half of cusa coaches pay rate I want a million or maybe a million and a half for a guaranteed winner. Win and 12000 fans will have the whole town rockin. Show the world that UTEP is as serious as a fucking heart attack about winning. Twelve thousand rockin fans winning and having fun like UTEP is capable of would be the launching point to make the fucking commitment to football too.
    There is a force of nature similar to magnetism. It is winning. It attracts winners. Think in terms of the Fab Five from years ago. They pulled themselves together. Winning coaches provide the known gathering point for winners.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 10:59:22 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Of names that I have heard thrown out, I like Tang and Golding

Tang we would have to pay big $$ for.  Golding a bit more affordable.  Every coach has a market value and we should be willing to pay what it takes to get who we want but not be stupid about it.

Is there a big name you have in mind? 

Miners1

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 11:30:41 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think Tang is the way to go. Golding is coaching at hi alma mater. Not sure he would be willing to leave...

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 11:49:28 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don?t. And I don?t want to be stupid with my money either. I will let others with knowledge of the field to find the best match. I want the pick to be of unquestioned integrity who great players want to play for. I want a coach worthy of three times the pay of other cusa teams. Do I think we should be better than them or something?  Three fucking times!  I want the teams in the big12 to think we?re three times better than cusa. The thing is like I said, we could afford to pay three times as much for a coach if there were 12000 screaming fans in the Don. It is like it would be free!  It needs to be big enough to bring in wins. Let?s face it. It shouldn?t be that tough go be the big dog in a conference that is a bit of a joke. No respect is all I am saying.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.midmajormadness.com/platform/amp/2019/11/4/20946421/ncaa-basketball-head-coach-contract-salary-database-mid-major-2019-20
    I looked at the salaries at the link above and Terry was the highest paid on their mid-major list. Holy shit!  He was at 750k. Thank goodness for UT for bailing us out.
    But a few short years ago we were play on par with Houston. Think about that.
    « Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 12:15:05 PM by kyyote »

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 02:51:16 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Agreed.
    Agreed.  $50 per credit hour is not a big ask but would generate a good chunk of change towards coach's salaries.  Would put us on a level playing field with other high end mid-majors. 

Did rabbit ever come back?

Actually, that extra 600$ a semester is a big ask, assuming a kid is full time.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 06:52:35 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Z I agree. A hundred bucks a month seems to be a bit high. How about fifty bucks a semester?  Times thirty thousand. If my naughts and cypherin is right that generates one point five million dollars. A semester. Adjust the numbers to suit your own perspective but even us dirt eating poor folks of El Paso can do nine bucks a month.
    They always ask students if they want to pay more for sports. Who in their right mind would say yes. I want to pay more for the losingist team in the land?  Ask them if they would be willing to pay a pocket change amount to have teams to be proud of. A different answer. But don?t take my word for it. Look at attendance numbers for any UTEP fb or bb team that was a winner.
    « Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 07:02:22 PM by kyyote »

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 06:54:46 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm paying $9k/semester for my kid to go to TX Tech. That is everything. Food, Dorm, classes, etc., & it doesn't include Bball & Football games. Students pay $10 to get in. All other sports come with fees. $600 more a semester is the price to pay for success. It will make UTEP a destination school & not just a commuter school.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: April 09, 2021, 11:58:01 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm paying $9k/semester for my kid to go to TX Tech. That is everything. Food, Dorm, classes, etc., & it doesn't include Bball & Football games. Students pay $10 to get in. All other sports come with fees. $600 more a semester is the price to pay for success. It will make UTEP a destination school & not just a commuter school.

You may be right and you may be wrong. You're right that we need students that aren't commuters students and perhaps us being a Tier One school now maybe it'll convince them more. UTEP doesn't publicize that little tidbit much and they should. People outside of EP still think it's that little school in Mexico.

As for paying more it's not something that students want to do to have mediocre sports. They see who we keep hiring and I don't blame them. You hire losers and you'll have losers on the field/arena. Until we have kids camping out for basketball tickets because we have winning products I don't think those commuters from Juarez wil give a crap about UTEP sports nor the ones having to toil at restaurants willing to give their hard earned tips for losing teams. I know we have to start somewhere but it has to start with those doing the hiring and they're not doing Shiate.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: April 09, 2021, 03:23:22 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Other site says word leaking that its Tang.  I would consider that going big.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: April 09, 2021, 03:57:08 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think you are right.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 06:11:18 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • That is way better than Sadler. As a matter of a fact, if it is true, my nipples are so hard, you can use them on a diamond tip drill. Great get.
     💎
    « Last Edit: April 09, 2021, 06:17:29 PM by Chanson »

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 06:30:12 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Damn it. I just read the other sites & it says Tang is not the guy.
    Make a hire already.