Author Topic: Go Big Or Go Home  (Read 2474 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: Go Big Or Go Home
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2021, 07:29:42 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I want Timmy. He has never coached. He was taught by Haskins. That is all I need to know. He would be the bigge  St t story in college basketball.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: April 09, 2021, 08:00:35 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Kyy, I can't figure out if you're serious or not?

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: April 09, 2021, 08:54:37 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Serious as a heart attack.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: April 09, 2021, 10:36:22 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I thought you were talking about Tim Floyd & lost your mind.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: April 10, 2021, 05:36:12 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Isn't Tang a powdered orange drink?  Just saying!

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: April 10, 2021, 06:07:24 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • With the names and resumes of those under consideration, Hardaway doesn't make my top 4.  I want someone with recent meaningful sustained success as a HC or top assistant.  Hardaway feels like Kug 2.0. 

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: April 10, 2021, 07:31:50 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm with Sis on this one, KY. Timmy.was one of my fav players, but I'm not so sure about coaching at the NCAA level. I'm sure he can do it, but how much more rope will he need to be successful. We need a hire who can respond with only a short rope.
    Jerome Tang. I hope his middle name is Poon. I think he would be great. As would the other names thrown around.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: April 10, 2021, 07:42:40 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Also, I hope to God we don't hire Menzies. He did good in a horrible conference & failed in a Non-Power 5. Why would we want that here,, especially with names like Golding, Tang, Keller, Barbee, Miller?, etc looking for opportunities. Yes, Barbee kind of failed at Auburn, but he was needing 1 more year to show what he built. Like what he did at UTEP. I think they let him go because Bruce Pearl was available & they knew him well from his days at TN.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: April 10, 2021, 08:02:21 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Also DeVries from Drake which is interesting

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: April 10, 2021, 09:36:27 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Also DeVries from Drake which is interesting
    Yes. He is a stud. I'm not really that sold on Jans. He is an upgrade from Terry, but compared to those other names, I'd put him on the list, but on the long list.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: April 10, 2021, 05:48:32 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I hear y?all. I think that the splash it would make would attract the talent, which with his kid has kept him in the know about players out there. It is very much a gamble on who he could attract. In an era when having white coaches is an appearance of a slight. UTEP shouldn?t follow. It should recognize it. I think there are athletes and there are basketball players.  Timmy was playing basketball in Chicago for years Before getting schooled by Don Haskins. You that think TH can?t coach hire a good assistant coach. I think Hardaway brings in such an upgrade to talent that he could beat cusa teams with one of us coaching them. Personally I think Hardaway knows and understands the game. Those of you afraid that he couldn?t get the most out of a player, he had some pretty good role models. Still just my very humble opinion.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: April 10, 2021, 06:27:10 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I understand what you?re saying and I don?t disagree on your points.  Its just that being a HC in college involves more than just the coaching aspects, and I don?t want to try that again with someone thats never coached a day in college.  If he wants to come in as top assistant and we hand him the keys when our next hire moves on I am good with that.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: April 11, 2021, 11:39:02 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Btw, it isn?t college but Tim has coaching experience including four years as an assistant at Detroit. Again, I think he can coach. If it is the college aspect hire a damned college expert assistant coach. You give him three years to show what he can do. I have absolutely no problem seeing what Tim Hardaway could do. If he does well it is a dream script for a movie. If he fails it costs nothing because it bought the idea that UTEP is committed to getting back to the top and willing to continue to be at the leading edge of doing what is right. And then there is the loyalty of a Miner to the Miners and vice versa which has always been a bit of a head scratcher and the redemption aspect. 

Fuck it I might as well go all in and say Hardaway could hire Tim Floyd as an assistant to handle your ?college? concerns. I not serious about this but I am also not convinced that it would not be a pretty impressive staff.
    « Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 11:44:50 AM by kyyote »

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: April 11, 2021, 01:40:45 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don't know Ky, *scratching head* I'm not into that idea. Timmy could perhaps coach but aren't we going with the Kuglar idea of "favorite son" type of thinking? What did it get us to get Kuglar as a coach? Just ulcers and heartburn and dwindling attendance. It's not like Timmy has been faithful to the Miners after leaving. When and what has he ever done where you think he still thinks of his days at UTEP in a positive way? I don't think with all his millions he has ever EVEN donated any of it. Sorry man, I love you like a brother but like with my real brothers I was frequently at odds with them and I'm at odds with you on that idea.

We need a proven coach and after the last one I don't think getting one with a losing record will do, especially one without a record.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: April 11, 2021, 02:15:43 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• And there?s more. Kugler was an offensive line coach. He wasn?t attracting anything but flies. He was no splash where Hardaway would be big. Kugler got an extension he shouldn?t have. Hardaway is just a few years to see. All of you have my deepest respect for your opinions and I must reluctantly admit that I have been wrong once or twice but for the reasons I so ineloquently stated above I really believe in this one.
    Now, this is a discussion and not an argument which I personally find refreshing.

One more thing. Tim is looking for an NBA job. Three years is about how long he would be here if he did well. He would be highly motivated to do well quickly. He would be a springboard but there is no downside to hiring him. It is about as close to a guarantee as you can get.
    « Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 02:40:16 PM by kyyote »