Author Topic: Terry is out  (Read 1243 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Terry is out
« on: April 06, 2021, 09:02:08 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I read on 247 Sports that CRT is leaving for UT. I think this is probably the best decision he has made since he has been with UTEP.
    Now, Senter needs to be aggressive & pick up a good recruiter/coach. If you all remember, he had little to do with the hire of Terry. That decision was made by Bob Stull & Richard Adouto.
    I'm thinking TX will need to buy out the remaining 3yrs on Terry's contract, which gives UTEP a lot of wiggle room $$ to bring in a a really good coach.
    I'm forwarding my best Mojo that we get a good coach. Hell, I'd be happy with Barbee.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Terry is out
    « Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 10:20:48 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don?t think we could get Barbee.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 10:23:37 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I hate that Senter is picking the replacement when his contract is nearly up.  Unless Wilson is planning to extend his contract, we end up with a situation where we have an AD with a head basketball coach he didn't hire and can't afford to fire.

Other board says Terry buyout is $500k.

I bet Barbee gets paid more as an assistant at Kentucky, and is probably looking for another P5 opportunity.

Again, I would talk to Gillispie (and Mack Rhoades) and ask them who are up and coming guys that have the Xs and Os.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 10:27:59 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This really makes me happy.  I'll be honest, i was considering completely tuning out next season because I HATE watching crappily coached basketball, and I just didn't think I could take another season of Terry.  Now I can geek out on evaluating the new coach's strategies.

Jury is still out on football.  If Dimel had a decent OC and let him call plays I might be in.  As it is, I just don't know if it's worth the angst.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 10:41:50 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The one thing about UTEP & Prez Wilson is she likes working with men. She has her favorites & Senter is at the top.
    Wilson did a questionnaire to all staff & faculty right before she started & most came back that they'd like to see our big sports successful.
    This is Senter & Wilson's 1st shot at filling a big coaching position. I hope they bring in big guns
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 10:48:18 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • What would be big guns?  Curious what sort of background everyone thinks the ideal candidate should have?

P5 assistant?  Smaller league successful HC?

How important is the classic "he knows and recruits Texas really well"?

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 11:01:53 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We need somebody who can get the fan base excited, who can recruit from day one, and who, if they cant coach x's and o's, at east ahs some assistants who can.

You know, a unicorn.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 11:33:20 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • You just watch them pull the ol' crappy M.O. of previous administration of hiring current assistant coaches. You just watch...

With that said I am so happy that Terry is gone. Hasta La Vista Baby. He was a good recruiter but lacked the coaching expertise. He had no common sense to realize that if something was going well that you keep doing it. For instance, if he saw that his players were playing well as a group he would take out the leading scorer or rebounder and put in someone who sucked. Can I say it again? I'm glad that he's gone and it's about time. I think ut-austin took him away because of his recruiting skill and not his coaching skills which he lacked.

Now, the waiting game begins and I hope that we're not disappointed on the outcome, like we always are.  >:(

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 02:57:13 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • What would be big guns?  Curious what sort of background everyone thinks the ideal candidate should have?

P5 assistant?  Smaller league successful HC?

How important is the classic "he knows and recruits Texas really well"?
    I think if we knew those answers, we would be a part of the hiring process.
    I think the best thing to do is not re-invent the wheel or go nostalgic. What I mean by that is it doesn't have to be a former Miner. Also, look at what other schools have done. I see guys like Inman at USC & White at FL. They both have a great balance of recruiting & coaching. Barbee & Gilespie had the same talent. Doc, Floyd, & Rab's couldn't recruit but got the best out of each kid, while Terry is a Hell of a recruiter, but couldn't draw up a play.
    I know Greg Foster has been thrown around, but he needs help with both coaching & recruiting.
    Study coaches with winning pedigrees & reduce the list based on coaching style & recruiting.
    That would be my guess.
    I think we all agree that Terry leaving could be a blessing if Senter is smart.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 04:11:34 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The one thing about UTEP & Prez Wilson is she likes working with men. She has her favorites & Senter is at the top.
    Wilson did a questionnaire to all staff & faculty right before she started & most came back that they'd like to see our big sports successful.
    This is Senter & Wilson's 1st shot at filling a big coaching position. I hope they bring in big guns

I wonder if Terry will get paid more as an assistant at UT than a HC at UTEP.  Probably.

And, if that is the case, I am not sure what person would fit the definition of ?big gun.?

lieb

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 05:35:34 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think Jerome Tang fits that description.
    Not sure any of the other names I?m hearing are big guns but certainly potentially acceptable choices.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: April 07, 2021, 05:13:11 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Let's pay them a respectable salary but pump it up with ridiculous bonuses. There's a saying that goes, "musica pagada tiene mal sonido". I'll translate, "if you pay the band beforehand it will have no incentive to play well".

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: April 07, 2021, 05:35:43 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This!
    More than 6,000 butts in a seat --  bonus
    More than 10,000 -- higher bonus
    Beat a P5 team -- bonus
    Beat a ranked team -- higher bonus
    Win regular season conference -- big bonus
    Make tourney -- bigger bonus
    Win games in tourney -- mind boggling bonus

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: April 08, 2021, 01:42:04 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Golding, Tang, Keller, Miller, & Barbee. Those are the options out there for the UTEP HC Bball job.
    I have always been a Sean Miller fan. If we get him, I will upgrade my seats to ground level. However, FBI investigation is ongoing & the timing may not work out. None the less, those other names I listed are pretty damn awesome. Media is all pointing towards Golding. Truthfully, any of those name at the helm is pretty damn awesome.
    Sisy- you asked earlier what I would consider big guns. Rick Pitino & Sean Miller would fall into that category. Not sure if Pitino would come to TX.
    Anyway, we still have some pretty good talent & I hope the next coach can keep the likes of Boum, Bieniemy, Onyema, Sjouland,  & Vila. I have a theory, if BW stays one more year, he will Grad Trans to TX. He is good enough to start on that team.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: April 08, 2021, 03:21:03 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Golding had his team playing defense in a way that made me kind of quiver.  My question is is he big enough to attract top talent. Is his hire a statement that we aren?t even screwing around. Not this could be good. I want already big. Big enough that top talent want to come and play nothing but the best teams in the country-and our cusa teams as practice.
    I wonder if Miller has developed a bit of leprosy with young players. Patino is just maybe a little too low rent and past his best by date.
    As for the incentives and bonuses, I want wins. I am paying double what others make in this league I expect twice the wins. That is the deal. If you win so much that it?s us and then everyone else in cusa we will talk about another half million. I want us to be wanted to move up. I want us to be the team that the big league got lucky to get.
    Now I know that I am asking for the moon. I have no delusions about this happening. But I don?t think it is too much to ask for an indication that we are trying to do more that continue to wither away and die.