Author Topic: Basketball  (Read 16029 times)

Dawgma

• Prospector
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball
« Reply #180 on: August 04, 2018, 09:20:08 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • definitely my feelings as well Sis...I'm like a kid counting the hours until Christmas comes.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #181 on: August 07, 2018, 09:45:54 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • A friend at work texted me about him.  Kappy says he was ranked as the 27th BEST GUARD IN THE NATION!  I am floored by this surprise out of left field! And despite my intense excitement, my nipples remain soft....maybe I should see a doctor about that....
    It's called causious optimism & the good thing is you don't have to see a doctor about it. I feel the same way about this season, however, I have higher expectations about the 2019 season. That being said, a kid named Marcus Sasser out of S. Dallas trimmed his list to SMU, UH, Colo St, & UTEP. He's a 2☆ 6'2" combo guard. He looks like a project with an OK jumper & ball skills. The kid looks a little slow for my taste, but in Terry I must trust.
    « Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 09:47:26 AM by Chanson »
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #182 on: August 07, 2018, 11:07:55 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Wonder if he's related to Jason and Jeryl Sasser out of the Dallas area?  Sometimes genetics take over.  I'd sign anyone with Cromartie genes to play football.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #183 on: August 07, 2018, 02:29:54 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Wonder if he's related to Jason and Jeryl Sasser out of the Dallas area?  Sometimes genetics take over.  I'd sign anyone with Cromartie genes to play football.
    I read a write up that Jason is his uncle & his high school HC. And no, he doesn't have his uncles skills. Not yet, anyway.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

gumby

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #184 on: August 08, 2018, 11:28:31 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Jordan Lathon is officially on UTEPS roster.

https://utepathletics.com/roster.aspx?roster=1136&path=mbball

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #185 on: August 08, 2018, 05:38:42 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I little birdy told me that McGee has improved so much that he might just get the start over Gilyard. The 1 position is super important & I'm happy those 2 are battling.
    So...here is how I see the line up starting.
    1-McGee
    2-Hawkins
    3-Lathon
    4-Thomas
    5-Odigie

I read my entry and it occurred to me that we only have two other schollied players in Ezeagu & Gilyard. The rest are walk ons. Yes, these players are young and have proven skills, but to have walk ons as back ups to only 7 schollied kids is going to be interesting. Terry is going to want to play up tempo ball and the walk ons will slow it down or make most of the mistakes.
    I like our current players and how we are set up for the future, but this year is going to be long. I think we all are prepared for that. Like I said before, I will be looking more at new player development than I will wins this year.
    « Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 03:03:41 AM by Chanson »

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #186 on: August 15, 2018, 09:40:27 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Sports is coming up & no one is communicating on this board.
    Let me get it started.
    Within the last week, 3 recruits PF's have rejected UTEP for 2019 play. One of them being a 3☆ player.
    I have a reasonable theory on that.
    Terry put too much energy and big talent into the PF position for 2019 that no one thinks they'll have a chance to start. Especially with William's & Tarke waiting in the wings. I also don't think Terry is pushing hard at those positions right now either. Let's face it, big talent has shown interest & sign with Terry & company. If they really pushed it, UTEP would be too 3 choices for most recruits.
    I think it's time for fans to put less interest in recruits (for now) & concentrate on who we have & how we are going to play in 2018.
    Has anyone seen a practice? No other sites are reporting status, etc.

Dawgma

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #187 on: August 16, 2018, 07:39:52 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Not a whole lot to say right now Chans.  Pieces are in place and both football and basketball programs seem to have made great strides to bring in talent.  Guess we're waiting for the other shoe to drop--for play to begin.  Its clear that football will have the harder road, but to see any improvement and a more entertaining style will satisfy a lot of us this year.  I'm still as excited as hell and sincerely hope that UTEP's new president will allow for growth in athletics.  Our current university president made ground-breaking changes to UTEP academics.  I have the feeling that somehow athletics paid a price for those advancements.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #188 on: August 16, 2018, 02:47:03 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I share Dawgmas very insightful post. There's nothing to post about as we only have the names and some videos of their play but that's high school and that level is way below Div 1 sports. It's like going from college to pro, the level is not even close.

But, I'm sure as soon as the first kickoff starts we'll be here lauding or criticizing our team.  ;)

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #189 on: August 16, 2018, 05:43:46 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I am going to make a bold prediction.  Kugler built his offensive line and was running against teams that knew he refused to pass.  Our new coach has a bruiser son running back.  Difference is, this coach will throw passes and the amount that puts teams on their heels will be huge.  The first game will set some kind of UTEP record.  The power will be unleashed.  May even make up for the damned orange uni's. 

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #190 on: August 17, 2018, 10:38:00 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • just don't be predictable.  That's huge.  The last OC we had that you couldn't be certain what the play was given down, distance, and formation was Eric Price.  Prior to him, the last non-predictable OC might have been Dirk Koetter.

The two most predictable OCs may have both been named Patrick Higgins.  To be fair, the 2nd time may have been more Kug's fault.

I am noticing a strong correlation between success vs failure and predictability of the offense.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #191 on: August 17, 2018, 04:52:04 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Back to basketball.

I was reading other sites & a good question was brought up. In regards to players, did we gain better than we lost? The answer to this question should get us an educated guess on if we do better than last year.

My answer is Yes.
    Willms- hurt & weak. V Ezeagu- strong & hungry
    Omega- quick but hurt V Lathon- = to Omega, but healthy
    Flaggert- good D no O V Hawkins- good O & D is  a ?
    Osborne- good shot, weak & no D V Odigie- a scoring bruiser
    Here is the deciding factor
    Floyd- XO master but lost touch w/players, the game, & fans
    V Terry- In tune w/college game & players. XOs=?

Based on players & coaches, we have a better squad this year. Which means we should have more wins.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #192 on: August 18, 2018, 11:11:56 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Just the big fact that Terry has been able to keep those players he sign tells me a lot. Those players seem to be hungry and ready to listen to their coach. I rate the talent much better even though we haven't seen them play a quarter of D1 ball. I think those big centers is what was needed the most as we couldn't even keep up with the ones Enemas U had. I think we'll compare favorably against them now...I hope.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #193 on: September 10, 2018, 11:25:44 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Not a bad looking bunch. That Verhoeven kid is bigger than I thought. While I still have hope that we will be over .500 this year, next year we are going to be big.
    Ezeagu-     6'11" 230lbs
    Odigie. -     6'9"   260lbs
    Verhoeven-6'8"  235lbs
    Williams-   6'8"   235lbs
    Tarke-         6'7"  230lbs
    That Lathon kid looks like he will be a problem to guard. Whike we have size & ball control, at this point Terry should be looking for deep ball shooters.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #194 on: September 24, 2018, 01:07:20 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm going to write here a bit more. If I don't, my sanity will be lost because of our football team. As you know, we picked up a few shooters for next year. One out of San Antonio and the other out of Houston. We should be good to go for the next 3-4 years. We have size, ball skills, shooting, and speed. That all needs to come together with some defense. The basketball season can't start soon enough, because I know for a fact they will win some basketball games this year. We have a lot of new developmental kids, but those kids have the talent to transition quicker than the two year minimum we are used to seeing with Floyd. I'm willing to bet that rebounding will be Terrys point of emphasis. I know this because a run and gun team is dependent on the rebound. Unfortunatetly, defense sometimes suffers and takes a back seat to scoring and rebounding. I just hope our kids are willing to work through the defensive woes.
    Has anyone been to an open gym practice to see what these kids look like?