Author Topic: Basketball  (Read 16032 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball
« Reply #165 on: July 18, 2018, 10:38:19 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • More on our big men.
    Was listening to a Pod Cast with Paul Thomas & he was asked to talk about Eze & Efe. He said Eze is a freak & blocks anything in the paint. He said he is raw, but very athletic. He also said Efe has lost 25lbs so far and has crazy post movies in regards to pivoting, spins, & use of size. He said he would start Efe for his O, but would start Eze for his D.
    I love it.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #166 on: July 23, 2018, 08:17:29 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Was on YouTube and punched in Deon Stroud. Damn. This kid looks like a shorter Shawn Kemp. Just, Damn. He will for sure play the 3 position. His 1st step is quick, he has an OK jumper, but his elevation skills are off the chart.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #167 on: July 26, 2018, 06:44:11 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Chanson, you know I love you brother, but this is maybe one of the funniest things I have seen written in years! 

" Kid set a bunch of records at Jewish schools in bball"

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #168 on: July 26, 2018, 04:48:41 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Chanson, you know I love you brother, but this is maybe one of the funniest things I have seen written in years! 

" Kid set a bunch of records at Jewish schools in bball"
    That's the only positive crap I could find on the kid. I get it. He's a pretty good baller...for a Jew. Haha. I guess I'll throw my talents to comedy during this down time.
    There's only two kinds of people I hate...racists & black people. I might as well throw Jews in the mix.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #169 on: July 26, 2018, 05:28:54 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I didn't see it exactly that way.  I saw it more as a faint(beyond faint to invisible?) praise.  The Jews at Jewish schools may be really good for all I know.  It just sounded so out of left field for me at that time of the morning.  I am very familiar with Catholic schools and the very, very high quality of their programs.  That would have been impressive.  lol

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #170 on: July 26, 2018, 05:54:03 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Now I hate all Catholics as well. I need UTEP sports now.

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    « Reply #171 on: July 27, 2018, 07:01:30 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • When I was on the freshman BB team at Cathedral HS, we would go up the alley a couple of blocks to practice at the Jewish Temple gym.  No, we didn't have to put on skull caps to play.   8)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #172 on: July 28, 2018, 08:17:34 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • When I was on the freshman BB team at Cathedral HS, we would go up the alley a couple of blocks to practice at the Jewish Temple gym.  No, we didn't have to put on skull caps to play.   8)

Gym rat paradise!  Orthodox ball is on the rise!
    https://nypost.com/2018/02/27/maccabees-soaking-up-spotlight-after-earning-1st-ncaa-berth/

Today D3, tomorrow Duke!

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #173 on: July 29, 2018, 11:30:22 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Was on YouTube and punched in Deon Stroud. Damn. This kid looks like a shorter Shawn Kemp. Just, Damn. He will for sure play the 3 position. His 1st step is quick, he has an OK jumper, but his elevation skills are off the chart.
    So, I was on a website called The Buzz and low and behold Deon Stroud was on it doing a between the legs 360 dunk DURING a game. I seriously can't wait to see that kid ball in an orange jersey. I hope Terry can keep the kid. I think he will since he will be out of the lime light.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #174 on: August 02, 2018, 02:23:21 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm sure you old farts already heard Osborne decided to transfer. I thought the kid had potential, but it appears the young bucks are outplaying him. It's always tough to see a kid go & I wish him the best success.
    As I see it, this year is shot anyway & it's a matter of working the newbies. We are all set with the SF position for next year. I just hope these extra schollies bring in some 4 star talent.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #175 on: August 02, 2018, 11:47:17 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Huge News!!

4☆ Jordan Lathon from MO coming to UTEP. He should be able to play right away. 6'4" PG who is lighting fast and drives to the hoop like its nobodies business. Now we know why Osborne left.
    Lathon 4☆, Hawkins 3☆, Gilyard 3 1/2☆, & MacGee working the perimeter makes my nipples perk through my winter coat.
    All 4 kids are legit D1 starters.
    How did we pick this kid up, you ask? On May 30th, Northwestern revoked his admission & scholarship. I don't know why, but we have him now. Please understand teams like Louisville, SMU, OU, GT, Butler, TT, Iowa St, Kansas St, etc were recruiting this kid hard & we somehow got him.

Dawgma

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #176 on: August 03, 2018, 07:42:17 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • A friend at work texted me about him.  Kappy says he was ranked as the 27th BEST GUARD IN THE NATION!  I am floored by this surprise out of left field! And despite my intense excitement, my nipples remain soft....maybe I should see a doctor about that....
    « Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 07:44:12 AM by Dawgma »

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #177 on: August 03, 2018, 10:39:04 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • In CUSA, a PG of this caliber could guarantee success.  And make it far easier to recruit top talent around him.
    Now to keep CRT in place for several years so all the talent doesn't follow him when he moves up...

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #178 on: August 03, 2018, 09:16:13 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • That's pretty amazing talent. I don't remember the Miners ever having this caliber players ever. In the 60s they weren't rated but I'll bet we had a few 4s and 5s that won the nat'l championship.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #179 on: August 04, 2018, 08:28:56 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Evaluating talent was a lot less formalized back then, I think.  You didn't have access to all the web sites and videos of players.  There had to be a lot of talent that never got found.

I think Bad News Barnes was pretty highly sought after, wasn't he?

What Terry is pulling together here is exciting.  For the first time I actually believe he could accomplish something this year.  I won't hold it against him if we see flashes of excellence followed by droughts of struggling however.  The following season my expectations are sky high.