Author Topic: Basketball  (Read 16053 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball
« Reply #150 on: July 02, 2018, 07:32:56 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We can always use a few more guards as well. New coach means rebuild. Floyd's last few years were not rebuilds & the teams just declined. That was super frustrating.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #151 on: July 02, 2018, 12:56:18 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Giddy up!! And then there were two schollys left. The 2019-20 could be exceptional!

Jon Rothstein
    ‏Verified account @JonRothstein

Fresno State transfer Bryson Williams has committed to UTEP, per a source. Rodney Terry loading up for Year Two.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #152 on: July 05, 2018, 09:39:28 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • A few pics of our bball team came up in Twitter & I thought I would post them. 1 is an on campus pic a few weeks ago and the other is at Chophouse day before the 4th of July. There are a few kids I don't recognize.
    Let's use more recent pic.
    1) White kid standing next to Terry. Terry is about 6'1-6'2, which makes him about 6'3". Who is he?
    2) White kid to the left of Rayanes. He's about 6'5" since his is next to Osbourne (6'5"). Who is he?
    3) Black kid to left of #2 & under Eze. He looks about 6'3". Who is he?

I think I know the rest, but if anyone can, will you name all the new kids?

Thanks.
    « Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 09:41:24 AM by Chanson »
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #153 on: July 05, 2018, 02:14:33 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Update on #3 mystery player. It is Tarke. The kid is at least 6'7", so he is slouching over so Efe can get in the pic.
    That leaves the 2 mystery white boys that should be walk ons. If they were big time players, we'd know about it.
    Anyone with info on them?

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #154 on: July 06, 2018, 07:44:47 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Unless Terry can pull more rabbits out of his hat, I think we are done with 2018.
    1- Gilyard & MaGee
    2- Osbourne & Hawkins
    3- Stroud
    4- Thomas & Odigie
    5- Ezeagu & Rayanes

Since I lose track easily, this is 2018 team, and in 2019 we add Boum, Tarke, and Williams, and we lose Thomas and Rayanes?  Plus whoever else we sign prior to 2019

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #155 on: July 06, 2018, 07:54:12 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We also add Verhoven in 2019. I also got word that Stroud will not play this year & will have to pay his own way in 2018 as Prop 48. If I had to guess, it would be because of grades. Does anyone out there have names of walk on newbies?

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #156 on: July 06, 2018, 09:07:31 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Forgot Verhoven.

So no #3 for 2018?  I guess we play small ball?

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #157 on: July 06, 2018, 01:42:37 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We also add Verhoven in 2019. I also got word that Stroud will not play this year & will have to pay his own way in 2018 as Prop 48.

Thanks for the info Chanson.  I wonder why Stroud re-classified to 2018 knowing that he was going to have to Prop 48 this year?  Maybe he had no choice?  Regardless, that is still good news for us and getting him to do this could turn out to be a major recruiting accomplishment for Terry if Stroud turns out to be a real player.  Had Stroud not reclassified to 2018, then it is completely possible that Stroud could have turned into a Likekele situation, where his recruiting could have sky rocketed over the next year to where we would no longer have a chance to get him. 

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #158 on: July 06, 2018, 02:20:14 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We have another signee. Garrett Sullivan out of Massachusetts just signed & looks to be eligible for 2018. He is a 6'4" SG. I saw some video on the kid and he can really shoot the long ball. He does seem like a project lacking in ball skills & footwork, but we really need some backup guards right now & he fits the bill. Especially since Stroud is holding off a year.

Dawgma

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #159 on: July 06, 2018, 03:05:28 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Tried to send that out at lunch but couldnt find any quick info on him plus was with my wife and couldn't stare at my phone, the Brazil game and her all at the same time without repercussions...  Thanks for the research Chanson.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #160 on: July 07, 2018, 08:20:20 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Looked at some highlights.  He has a nice high release, and a fairly quick setup and shot.  I don't think he's going to do a lot of creating, at least in the early years, but he also doesn't look like he's going to need a ton of open space and time.  Not real quick on his feet, he will probably get burned defensively.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #161 on: July 07, 2018, 08:56:01 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The D1 basketball signing period for high school players ended back on May 16th.  I’m leaning more to towards this guy being a walk-on.
    « Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 07:09:05 PM by UTEPDefense »

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #162 on: July 08, 2018, 01:45:53 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The D1 basketball signing period for high school players ended back on May 16th.  I’m leaning more to towards this guy being a walk-on.
    I think you are right, D.
    On his Tweet, he stated he was happy to play for a D1 team. A talented player wont even use the "D1" reference. He can shoot it well, but everything else needs work. Like I said, he is a project & projects need to EARN D1 scholarships.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #163 on: July 09, 2018, 06:56:11 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
    I think you are right, D.
    On his Tweet, he stated he was happy to play for a D1 team. A talented player wont even use the "D1" reference. He can shoot it well, but everything else needs work. Like I said, he is a project & projects need to EARN D1 scholarships.

The logic here is just that if he was going to get a D1 scholarship anywhere, it would have been during the signing period?  In theory, there is nothing that would prevent a late signee from being offered a scholarship though, right?

This whole business with scholarships confuses me.  There appears to be no risk to the college to give a scholarship if you have one available because you can just yank it if you want.  CTF did that all the time.  is there still some kind of weird deal limiting how many you can give out per year?  I never understood the point of that.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #164 on: July 15, 2018, 04:06:44 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • A few pics of our bball team came up in Twitter & I thought I would post them. 1 is an on campus pic a few weeks ago and the other is at Chophouse day before the 4th of July. There are a few kids I don't recognize.
    Let's use more recent pic.
    1) White kid standing next to Terry. Terry is about 6'1-6'2, which makes him about 6'3". Who is he?
    2) White kid to the left of Rayanes. He's about 6'5" since his is next to Osbourne (6'5"). Who is he?
    3) Black kid to left of #2 & under Eze. He looks about 6'3". Who is he?

I think I know the rest, but if anyone can, will you name all the new kids?

Thanks.
    Update.

Player #1 is walk on Brandon Averitt 6'1" out of Cali. Kid set a bunch of records at Jewish schools in bball & is a great walk on to back up our SG's.
    Player #2 is another walk on Giles Dekoninck 6'6" who played for Belgian National team. The kid is athletic & can shoot, but like most Euro players, he lacks defense & speed. Yet another good walk on that has potential to be a schollied player.
    Terry is doing this program right by bringing on kids with proven records with schollies & potentials/projects as walk ons. I love it and I can't wait until our sports programs start picking up momentum this season.