Author Topic: Basketball  (Read 16037 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball
« Reply #135 on: June 20, 2018, 11:13:49 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The last 4 years of CUSA champs did it because of the long ball. Obviously they had a mix of speed & defense. We can't live on 1 good shooter. When that shooter is off, you need others to fill in.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

stanman505

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #136 on: June 22, 2018, 08:38:57 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The game of basketball hasn't changed but the style certainly has.  It is all about analytics now.  A team needs 5 guys that can shoot the three.  Can anybody name an NBA player that is a low post presence?  The game started to change with Kevin Garnett, and it continued with Dirk, Bosh and the change was completed with KD.  When people bring up the idea that you need a big to rebound I disagree.  You need a guy with quickness, and a feel for how shots come off the rim.  I am not talking about guys smaller than 6'6" just a guy that can get off the floor quickly.  The reason that Floyd was not successful here was because he refused to change with the times.  Guys did not want to be coached by a someone that was not allowing them to play a style of basketball that would get them ready for the pros.  That is why guys transferred.  When was the last time UTEP had a stretch 4 player?  It was under Barbee and it was Arnet Moultrie.  Just look at the "centers" for the NBA teams that were in the conference finals: Cappella, Iguodala, Tristan Thompson, Aaron Baynes.  I think Kaosi will be fine for us next year.  He will defend the rim and he will finish when at the rim when he gets the chance to.  The percentage say even if you shoot 38% from three point that is better than shooting 60% for inside the arc.  Last season UTEP attempted 24.3 shots per game and our opponents attempted 24.4.  UTEP made 43.4 percent of them and the opponents made .428.  Looking at those stats UTEP should have had a winning season but didn't because of the difference in 3 pt shooting.  UTEP opponents took 62 more three pointers and made 2% more and it killed the team.  My long winded point is that we need more players that can shoot the three point shot and not guys that play with their back to the basket.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #137 on: June 22, 2018, 12:54:01 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • My personal theory is that basketball started to change in the USA during that 4 or 5 year period when we finished 3rd in the Olympics and we also failed to win the World Championships(the time around 2002-2006).   The US was struggling against the European style during those losses, so we adjusted and became more like the European style.  The European game has always been more perimeter based, with big men shooting outside and stretching the floor.  The US learned to adjust to that style and implemented it during those years when we struggled against it.  Now that style is a big part of our game and our adjustment to it has helped us to re-establish our dominance again in the Olympics and World Championships.  There also are more Europeans playing in the USA now, compared to 15 years ago, which has also helped incorporate that influence here.

An example of this was during the NBA draft last night, when a 6'7" guy got drafted, they mentioned that he might be able to play the 5 position when that team plays small ball.  It got me thinking that 10 years ago 6'7" was considered too small for a NBA PF, much less a NBA Center.  Now the current style of play can allow for a 6'7" center who also helps stretch the floor.
    « Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 01:00:12 PM by UTEPDefense »

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #138 on: June 22, 2018, 09:06:08 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Great comments here guys.  I love the insight you can get on this board.  People that are truly students of the game.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #139 on: June 23, 2018, 06:16:52 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Just to keep the discussion going maybe, but I don't think the time has passed for a bruiser inside.  Tony Barbie played a style of basketball in which Character was a beast in the paint.  Hunter never hit a shot from more than five feet away from the basket.  I think in the last ten years we have had some of the nicest, gentlest 7 footers in the world.  I used to pray for them to stop pussy-footing around inside and start breaking arms put in the way mode,  It didn't happen.  Think about our big men and what might have been had they played like Hunter or Derrick instead of perimeter shooting guards.  Attitude!  Break arms and see if that doesn't start making a little more room for a nice jump shot.  Americans playing basketball are jazz musicians.  Euro players are classical music.  The two types used to play different music.  Now they have been merged.  Classical jazz?  The combination is still being figured out.  But, just because it is different music, a powerful drummer, laying down a pounding beat is still a really nice sound. 

Dawgma

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #140 on: June 23, 2018, 07:54:36 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Duquesne transfer Tyrus Verhoeven has committed to Utep per Jon Rothstein!

stanman505

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #141 on: June 23, 2018, 10:30:29 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Just to keep the discussion going maybe, but I don't think the time has passed for a bruiser inside.  Tony Barbie played a style of basketball in which Character was a beast in the paint.  Hunter never hit a shot from more than five feet away from the basket.  I think in the last ten years we have had some of the nicest, gentlest 7 footers in the world.  I used to pray for them to stop pussy-footing around inside and start breaking arms put in the way mode,  It didn't happen.  Think about our big men and what might have been had they played like Hunter or Derrick instead of perimeter shooting guards.  Attitude!  Break arms and see if that doesn't start making a little more room for a nice jump shot.  Americans playing basketball are jazz musicians.  Euro players are classical music.  The two types used to play different music.  Now they have been merged.  Classical jazz?  The combination is still being figured out.  But, just because it is different music, a powerful drummer, laying down a pounding beat is still a really nice sound.

The game has changed from inside out to outside in.  The Warriors and Rockets are the present and future style of basketball.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #142 on: June 24, 2018, 07:21:32 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Duquesne transfer Tyrus Verhoeven has committed to Utep per Jon Rothstein!
    It's a fact. Kid came to campus with his mother and committed. He is now closer to home (Cali) and doesn't look to be eligible until 2019. The kid is a shot block freak at 6'8". I think we are set for success in 2019. Im still waiting on a big man to fill a much needed spot for 2018.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #143 on: June 25, 2018, 09:23:53 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • More on Verhoeven. I read he wasn't happy playing post in Pittsburg. Terry tried recruiting him a few years ago & the kid wants to be a SF/PF combo guy moving in and out of the paint. That means he wants to do what Drammond Green does for Golden State. I like it. It is the direction basketball is going. I saw some clips of the kid & his footwork & ball skillsare there. Let Odigie & the Canadian clear the paint while Tarke & Verhoeven assist them.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #144 on: June 25, 2018, 12:58:32 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yes, as we've been discussing, the game is currently all about spreading out the defense as much as possible.  The more range and mobility your forwards have, the more you can do that, which creates more opportunities for every player.

Dawgma

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #145 on: June 26, 2018, 11:44:33 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Great story on Verhoeven below if you haven't seen it...

https://www.mantecabulletin.com/sports/collegiate-sports/verhoeven-now-miner/
    « Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:08:55 PM by Dawgma »

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #146 on: June 28, 2018, 02:13:09 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Unless Terry can pull more rabbits out of his hat, I think we are done with 2018.
    1- Gilyard & MaGee
    2- Osbourne & Hawkins
    3- Stroud
    4- Thomas & Odigie
    5- Ezeagu & Rayanes

This means we have no room for injury. Also, Rayanes is a walk on Sr and should be good filler for the big guys. We've got lots of experience coming in for 2019 and we should start off strong there, but 2018 is 100% a rebuild with only 4 schollies returning in Thomas, Osbourne, Gilyard & MaGee. 1Sr, 1 Jr, 2 Soph, & the rest freshmen. I will say I really like our freshmen, though.
    Anyway, both sports will struggle this year, we have systems in place that look promising.

Have I missed anyone for 2018 that anyone can think of?

Dawgma

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #147 on: June 28, 2018, 04:27:03 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Steve Kaplowitz said he had a crazy wild(man) rumor from Asher Wildman yesterday regarding basketball, but i got home from work and forgot to turn Radiopup back on to see what it was...

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #148 on: June 29, 2018, 09:10:05 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • No sites reporting anything, so I think it's done.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #149 on: June 29, 2018, 11:42:14 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I doubt we're done with 3 scholarships available. Especially when new grad-transfers are still declaring every week. I've never followed this part of recruiting until this year but there's a lot more quality guys than I thought. And with Arizona on the schedule, I doubt Terry would throw these guys into this arena without more firepower and experience. One name I'm hoping to transfer is Deshon Taylor from Fresno St, I read he will be eligible to transfer after the summer session ends August 10. No rumor to this that I'm aware of, but considering the circumstances and relationships Terry has with his players I wouldn't say it's not possible. Still quite a few serviceable bigs out there too.