Author Topic: Basketball  (Read 16061 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball
« Reply #105 on: May 29, 2018, 08:16:07 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Returning:
    Ryaness C 6'9" Sr (walk on)
    Osborne SG/SF 6'5" JR
    MaCGee PG 6' Soph
    Gilyard PG 5'10" Soph

2018 Freshmen:
    Hawkins SG 6'3"
    Odigie C 6'9" 270lbs
    Stroud SF 6'5"
    Ezeagu C 6'10" 240lbs

2019 incoming:
    Boum 6'3" SG Soph
    Tarke 6'7" SF/PF 225lbs JR

I hope I'm not missing anyone.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

utep2step

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #106 on: May 29, 2018, 08:30:06 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Returning:
    Ryaness C 6'9" Sr (walk on)
    Osborne SG/SF 6'5" JR
    MaCGee PG 6' Soph
    Gilyard PG 5'10" Soph

2018 Freshmen:
    Hawkins SG 6'3"
    Odigie C 6'9" 270lbs
    Stroud SF 6'5"
    Ezeagu C 6'10" 240lbs

2019 incoming:
    Boum 6'3" SG Soph
    Tarke 6'7" SF/PF 225lbs JR

I hope I'm not missing anyone.

According to digs, Stroud is not a one hundred percent done deal. He still needs to take qualifying classes and while committed to UTEP, is still marketing himself on social media. He may be a Prop 48 or just not come here if he wants to play immediately. Does anyone know anything else about him?

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #107 on: May 29, 2018, 09:06:15 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It was the same situation with Vince Hunter. Digs tends to jump to conclusions because most is based on Twitter info. Don't get me wrong, because some of those guys have tons of time on there hands and are constantly combing the Twitterverse, but that grades thing is a speculation. There could be truth to it, but I don't believe until I see it. The reason why in Stroud situation, the kid was a 2019 prospect, originally, then changed to 2018. It tells me he is ahead of the game with grades & classes. We will see.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #108 on: May 29, 2018, 11:36:37 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • There are some differences regarding Stroud at this moment:

1.)  He is the only incoming freshman that UTEP has not officially announced as a signee.  Even though the signing period ended a couple of weeks ago.

2.). He is still playing AAU ball and was posting daily videos from this past weekend's tournament.  The legitimate question is why is he still playing AAU ball if he is a D1 signee?

3.)  He is the only current UTEP commitment who did not take an official visit to UTEP.  His visit was structured as an unofficial visit, instead of an official visit.

He transferred schools for his Senior year and he went to a prep school.  He also reclassified from 2019 to 2018.  So his NCAA clearance might be taking more time due to these variables?  Maybe it's as simple as that.  I think a good point has been made, in that why did he reclassify to 2018 unless he felt he could become eligible?  So hopefully that is a good sign that things will eventually work out.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #109 on: May 29, 2018, 10:05:26 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Thanks guys!  Thomas is not returning?

Wow, crazy young team.  Lots of Freshmen and sophomores will have to step up.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #110 on: May 29, 2018, 11:23:55 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Thanks guys!  Thomas is not returning?

Wow, crazy young team.  Lots of Freshmen and sophomores will have to step up.
    Holy Crap. Thomas is totally coming back. I forgot to add him to the return list. He & Rayness will be the only Sr's. Although, Rayness didn't see any action last year & can grab an extra year if coach Terry decides to see 2017 as a Red Shirt year.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #111 on: May 31, 2018, 02:06:51 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So, that Williams kid that was visiting this weekend will be visiting Oregon next weekend. I'm not sure if you all are aware, but there facilities are tip top for athletes. I'm not talking in Pac 10, but in the country. Like Likekele, Williams won't be back. Even so, Terry has put something together very special in a short period that no one else has done. Not even the great recruiting of Gillespie did what Terry did in a short span. While I think Terry will surpass the wins Billy had his 1st year, I hope his teams are just as good or better in the up coming years.
    Williams or not, still really want 1 more big guy for 2018.

Go Miners

Dawgma

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #112 on: June 01, 2018, 07:51:35 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I had heard about the Oregon visit but wasn't aware of the quality of Oregons facilities.  I should know better since that is Nikeville U. 

Crud!  I was really waiting for the cherry on top with a Williams signing...anyone else on the radar for 2018-19....?

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #113 on: June 01, 2018, 08:22:41 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Nike has put a crazy amount of money into Oregon.  It's a fairly brilliant plan.  They turned Oregon into a force in football and track, and to a lesser extent in basketball as an advertising campaign.  Really its probably a very cost-effective nationwide marketing campaign.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #114 on: June 01, 2018, 01:36:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • UTEP offered 6'3" SG Landon Goesling grad transfer from St Edwards (Div II). Averaged 23 pts a game, 39% from 3. He originally signed with App St and transferred after his Soph year. Also being recruited by Houston. Several more names have become available on the Grad Transfer market in the last few days, I'm confident Terry will get a couple of impact players out of here.

Fairly up to date Grad Transfer tracker.
    https://gradtransfertracker.com/potential-transfers-1/

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 02:23:58 PM by ATL-Miner »

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #115 on: June 07, 2018, 12:25:19 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It looks like the recruiting is done for the year. I don't think we will see anything until a month before the season starts. That means if we do see anybody, he will just be a filler complimenting our current players.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #116 on: June 07, 2018, 12:54:22 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Any buzz on the football team?  Thank you for keeping the trickle of information coming on all things Miners.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #117 on: June 09, 2018, 07:41:55 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Goesling signed with Houston.

UTEP offered 6'3" SG Landon Goesling grad transfer from St Edwards (Div II). Averaged 23 pts a game, 39% from 3. He originally signed with App St and transferred after his Soph year. Also being recruited by Houston. Several more names have become available on the Grad Transfer market in the last few days, I'm confident Terry will get a couple of impact players out of here.

Fairly up to date Grad Transfer tracker.
    https://gradtransfertracker.com/potential-transfers-1/

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #118 on: June 09, 2018, 08:19:03 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don't think any of us are sad about Goesling. We have the guards. If it was a 6'10" kid we lost, then I'd be a bit more upset.
    Saw that Goesling went to St. Edwards per Verbal Commits.
    « Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 09:21:29 AM by Chanson »

ATL-Miner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #119 on: June 09, 2018, 08:25:42 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It seems apparent that Terry is still looking for a strong 3 pt shooter with him looking at this kid and the JC player Perez from a week or so ago. Goesling is transferring from St Edwards, VerbalCommits just got the memo that he transferred from App St to St Edwards and updated their site, he signed with UH. Agree we need a big dude who can step in right away.

I don't think any of us are sad about Goesling. We have the guards. If it was a 6'10" kid we lost, then I'd be a bit more upset.
    Saw that Goesling went to St. Edwards per Verbal Commits.