Author Topic: UTEP's new OC recruiting in Iowa today.  (Read 2036 times)

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
    • View Profile
UTEP's new OC recruiting in Iowa today.
« on: December 13, 2017, 05:36:19 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It's pretty damn cold in this part of the country but he is out beating the bushes right now.

Coach Mike Canales‏ @coachcanales · 9h9 hours ago 

Thank you @SouthwestAir for showing @UTEPFB #Luv. Onto Iowa to grow #Miners Nation 🏈🌵 #ILoveRecruiting #RoadWarrior #WheelsUp

8 replies   25 retweets   150 likes   

EMA884

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    Re: UTEP's new OC recruiting in Iowa today.
    « Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 07:17:55 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm liking this coaching staff more and more and am optimistic that things will certainly improve.  Thanks for sharing!

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 08:01:17 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Kid gets hired last week and is recruiting this week. Gotta love it.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

EMA884

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 08:45:18 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Maybe the cold weather up in Iowa is part of his strategy.  He can just emphasize that it'll be sunny, clear, and 62 degrees in El Paso this afternoon. 

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 12:25:05 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It looks like Iowa has a few Junior Colleges, which I would guess is why he is visiting Iowa.  The recruiting dead/silent period begins this weekend, so he probably wanted to get there before that starts.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 12:31:13 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Maybe the cold weather up in Iowa is part of his strategy.  He can just emphasize that it'll be sunny, clear, and 62 degrees in El Paso this afternoon.

I'm sold when can I sign? No kidding, our weather is matchless even if we compare it to Hawai'i. Only thing Hawai'i is greener but much more humid. Costa Rica is nicer though...if it wasn't for all the volcanoes. Hey, that's another selling point, no volcanoes.   :P

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 01:46:08 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It looks like Iowa has a few Junior Colleges, which I would guess is why he is visiting Iowa.  The recruiting dead/silent period begins this weekend, so he probably wanted to get there before that starts.

There is an uncommitted 3 star qb at western Iowa cc. Maybe he's a target. Kai Locksley.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 01:54:14 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Good find MinerInWisconsin!  Kai Locksley played at the same high school with former UTEP signee Antonio Dupree in Baltimore.  According to this ESPN link, Kai Locksley had offers from pretty much everybody out of high school(Alabama, Florida State, Etc.). He signed with Texas, but went the JC route.  He has good size.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/164106/kai-locksley

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 02:25:39 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Coach Canales and Kai Locksley are both following each other on Twitter, so it is safe to say that Canales knows who Locksley is.

Locksley was to transfer to Marshall from Texas, but went JC instead:

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/marshall_sports/transfer-locksley-puts-herd-on-hold-will-play-at-juco/article_81abeea5-4271-5543-b8bf-1712e0be25b4.html

Kai's Dad is also the same Michael Locksley that used to be the Head Coach at UNM:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Locksley

Wow, it seems like it has been a long time since we have had any football recruiting topics to talk about.
    « Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:28:07 PM by UTEPDefense »

FarWestTexas

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 07:32:23 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Respect the Process

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 06:33:31 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • UTEP offers QB Locksley: (this is from Minerrush.com)

New UTEP offensive coordinator Mike Canales is already making some eye opening moves in his first week.

Canales, UTEP’s current acting new coach while Dana Dimel finishes with K-State bowl prep, boarded a Southwest Airlines flight last night headed to Iowa, and offered former Texas and Iowa Western CC quarterback Kai Locksley.

EMA884

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 09:43:24 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • What do you guys think about Metz?  It's obvious this new coaching staff has made it a priority to upgrade the quarterback position.  He has flashed during his playing time but really hasn't shown a whole lot in my opinion. 

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 11:30:03 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It really is hard to tell about Metz.  He has almost always been passing passes to the line of scrimmage or late in the game trying to throw out of desperation and running for his life.  On the same note, the receivers have not been given much of a realistic tryout.  Then there is the question of whether or not you can recruit good receivers to an offense that has had the personality of UTEP's for the past years.  Jordan Leslie was gone to a place where they believed in the forward pass.  Poor Ryan Metz, should not take a chance on getting another concussion unless it is apparent by the end of spring that the offense will not be risking his life.  But, unfortunately for Metz, the offense may tend to lean toward a passing quarterback that runs well because quarterback runs are an integral part of the offense.  Purely speculation on my part, of course.  I would imagine some speedy receivers are needed.  Part of that is not to say we don't have them, but a team that believes in the forward pass to stretch the defense can always use more speedy sure handed receivers.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 12:08:44 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Hard to believe that despite starting games as a Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior, that Metz best game at UTEP is still his very first game against NMSU as a Freshman.  He has not come close to replicating that initial half of football in the nearly 3 full years since.  I was a supporter of Metz and thought he might be our long term answer, but I no longer think that is the case.  He has also had the durability issue.  He could be a quality and experienced back-up for us, but I feel we need to go in a different route for our starting QB.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 12:29:45 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Hard to believe that despite starting games as a Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior, that Metz best game at UTEP is still his very first game against NMSU as a Freshman.  He has not come close to replicating that initial half of football in the nearly 3 full years since.  I was a supporter of Metz and thought he might be our long term answer, but I no longer think that is the case.  He has also had the durability issue.  He could be a quality and experienced back-up for us, but I feel we need to go in a different route for our starting QB.

I think that's because he went in and called his own plays and made the OC look like a fool.  They clamped down on him and said if he wanted to play he would do it their way.  That effectively shut him down, and set him up for repeated injuries.