Author Topic: Let's Look At the Next Head Coach According To Senter  (Read 1417 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Let's Look At the Next Head Coach According To Senter
« on: December 03, 2017, 09:43:32 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Let's take a look at what the man has said a little closer.
    "Senter said Monday he wants to win, but his priority is making sure student athletes are successful. "Our job is to educate young people and my job is to make sure student athletes reach their highest potential," Senter said, "You can get caught up in the business of athletics, of raising money, but you need to focus on the business of making sure student athletes maximize their potential."
    He has been given the task of keeping the grades up and the athlete's noses clean. Kugler has given him the players that fit the description. Perhaps Kugler was told how things were going to be and did the best he could,  given his orders.
    "Senter said he and his staff wants to engage the El Paso and Juarez communities to make sure the university and its teams have the support they need.  "Great organizations start with great people. We want to build a culture of family and it comes down to the idea that everyone is valued. Every person makes a difference," Senter said."-KVIA
    First thing, I don't know if he can truly be this unknowing and just spewing some bullshit, but...

the rest is here;

http://www.kyyotesden.com/lets-look-at-the-next-head-coach-according-to-senter/

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Let's Look At the Next Head Coach According To Senter
    « Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 04:23:45 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I agree with your analysis regarding the next coach.  Of course he has one or two candidates in mind, wouldn't you?

Regarding the "family" comment, maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying.  But I interpret what he is saying is that he views it has his responsibility to make people think of UTEP as part of their identity as a resident of EP/Juarez.  (Sure J-town is a joke, but EP is a possibility).

And yes, it is entirely possible that Kugs hands were so tied by the other requirements put on him by the administration that he couldn't get the players he needed.  But it's still on him for building an offense around players he couldn't get...

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 07:48:05 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Kuglar was given all limitations up front before he took the job. The same limitations will be up front to the new head coach.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 08:07:34 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This thought just flashed through my mind.  I say that, because it isn't Earth shattering or anything but, isn't it ironic that Dr. Natalicion, who has made her name by opening enrollment to anyone to give them a chance sets a different standard for the athletes?  By the way, we can only assume that she has placed the same restrictions on the head coach of the basketball team, so Floyd had his hands tied, too.  I find that very interesting.  I love her dearly for allowing me to enroll without having to meet the requirements that would have kept me where I was.  It changed my life.  But, an athlete doesn't get the same consideration it would seem.  I don't have a problem with it, though.  The athletes and the athletic programs are the representatives of our beloved UTEP.  What I don't like is that she understands that the athletic programs are what others see when they picture UTEP in their minds, and she allows that picture to be a giant turd.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 08:27:59 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This thought just flashed through my mind.  I say that, because it isn't Earth shattering or anything but, isn't it ironic that Dr. Natalicion, who has made her name by opening enrollment to anyone to give them a chance sets a different standard for the athletes?  By the way, we can only assume that she has placed the same restrictions on the head coach of the basketball team, so Floyd had his hands tied, too.  I find that very interesting.  I love her dearly for allowing me to enroll without having to meet the requirements that would have kept me where I was.  It changed my life.  But, an athlete doesn't get the same consideration it would seem.  I don't have a problem with it, though.  The athletes and the athletic programs are the representatives of our beloved UTEP.  What I don't like is that she understands that the athletic programs are what others see when they picture UTEP in their minds, and she allows that picture to be a giant turd.

She allows both the basketball and football programs to bring in players that have to grey shirt, sit out a year to get their academics in order. I think in football the problem was poor recruiting on Kugler's part along with a poor offensive scheme.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 09:52:30 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • "While grey-shirting, players are not on the team. 
    They can not practice or condition with the team.  They can not be given any advantage not extended to the normal student body.  Grey-shirts are not allowed at team meetings or functions either.  For all intents they are essentially, regular students."-bleacherreport

Do all schools allow grey-shirting?  If they do, then it isn't unusual.  If not all do, then who does and who doesn't?  I am trying to get a handle on just what may be the mandate given to the coaches.  Is it to follow the same recruiting path as others or are the coaches being given a higher standard by the president?  Is UTEP, a school that is great for allowing their students the opportunity to perform and as long as they do they are good to go giving the coaches a different standard in recruiting to a higher standard for the athletes?  Are the football players getting good grades but not able to compete successfully against the other teams from anywhere in the country because the head coach was told he had to recruit to a higher standard?  If that is the case, the fans deserve to hear it from her lips!  We know that the football team can't compete but part of it is that we are expecting our players to get better grades than those other teams!  Is that the truth!?

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 11:01:04 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don't know for certain what Dr. Natalicio requires of athletes but I seriously doubt that entrance requirements for them is any stricter than the general student population. But grey shirts are normally sitting out athletics due to ncaa requirements which means all schools must live by an agreed gpa or whatever level of achievement that the governing body says they must. Pretty sure she tells her AD that there better not be any known bad apples coming to UTEP although there have been an exception or two. I think we need a coach that can sell UTEP, El Paso and get them to at least visit. Price used to say that it was difficult to get players to visit but once they did, they loved it. I don't think Kugler and staff were good enough with the right recruits and he certainly was not a good enough coach with the x's and o's to produce a good football team. We have more competition now within the state but that just means the new coach needs to be aware of UTEP's past recruiting woes before coming aboard and then overcome it, somehow. Personality? Ability? Somehow recruits that can play at a high enough level to compete for C-USA, MWC championships need to be brought to UTEP. Playing a high octane offense would certainly help the recruiting process.
    « Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 11:10:06 AM by MinerInWisconsin »

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 11:47:32 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I say bring them in in March when our weather is absolutely "FABULOUS" as a famous Latin actor used to say. During that time most of the nation is knee deep in floods or snow and it's always beautiful in El Paso.   8)

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 01:51:07 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

There's absolutely no way the entrance requirements for athletes are any different than for those in the general population.  What IS different is those students (athletes or not) that might be admitted conditionally due to poor HS grades, poor SAT/ACT test grades, TSI requirements, and a host of other things required by each university and the state of Texas.  The non-athletes in this scenario can have restrictions placed on the number of credit hours they take, the type of classes they may take (i.e., developmental versus for-credit classes).  The NCAA may have additional requirements (did the student take the correct classes in high school?  was the HS GPA good enough?)  If a student who also hopes to be an athlete does not meet some of those standards, UTEP (and other universities) can still admit them, but they can't play sports or get scholarships (I think).

lieb

MinerManiac

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 07:23:12 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
    It is the NCAA, not UTEP, that places standards on the athletes for eligibility.  In order to be able to play, athletes have to pass a set of core courses in high school, and there is a sliding scale with their HS GPA and SAT/ACT scores (a high SAT/ACT allows for a lower GPA, and vice versa).  The core course thing really bit us in the butt with Andre Speight.  He had the right GPA and SAT/ACT combination, but a (I believe it was math) course that he had passed and depended on for his eligibility was determined not be among the core math courses necessary for eligibility, and he was faced with a dilemma: stay at UTEP and sit for a year (he was still eligible as a student, just couldn't play until he met certain academic standards his first year) or transfer to a JC and play immediately.  He obviously chose the latter option.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 08:03:33 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I understand that the NCAA sets the academic requirements.  What I am asking is has Natalicio placed higher standards for the coaches to meet.  Did Kugler recruit a bunch of great student athletes because he was told he had to, or did he recruit great students that can't compete because he just wanted to.  Same with Floyd.  Has Natalicio tied the coaches hands in a way that isn't public.  The players that are on the football team are great kids, many of them local kids.  That is great for building a family and community relationship, but if the kids get the fuck kicked out of them it makes the "family" look like the McPoyles.  I WANT TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO A SIMPLE YES OR NO QUESTION!  Does Natalicio have a hand in the recruitment that left us with a team that might win the GE College Bowl but couldn't win a real football game?  Did the coaches have a free hand, just like every other coach, or did Natalicio tell them the players had to get better grades.  Did she, in her quest for Title 1 status throw the teams under the bus to help her meet that goal?  If she did, don't you think the fans should know that?  I'm not saying she did, mind you.  I am asking, because Kugler's recruiting seems beyond just stupid.  It has always blown me away that the guy who hung his hat on being able to have the offensive line push people around could never put together a line that could even get a single yard when they needed it.  All, of the shitty coaches in UTEP's inglorious past could have done better than that.  Maybe it is because the players were simply overmatched great kids.  Could it be the secret reason why Floyd felt like he just couldn't continue?  I'm not trying to get some conspiracy going.  But, it seems to me that there are a whole lot of things being said and that have been said that has me wondering.  I have a lot of time on my hands.  But, I don't think my question is from another planet.  Kugler's football team seemed more like from another planet.  So, if anyone can answer my question with a yes or no, and they know what they are talking about, I would love to put it to sleep.  Or know the truth if that explains things.
    « Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:34:10 AM by kyyote »

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 09:22:38 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think this is a good question.

And yet...  there are schools that do have high requirements for their athletes and succeed.

Also, I had to google McFoil and I still have no idea who you're talking about.  I admit I'm not really in mainstream pop culture.  But you've now piqued my curiosity.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 09:35:46 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • My misspelling of McPoyles.  A family from Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia.  That should help.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 10:48:20 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I understand that the NCAA sets the academic requirements.  What I am asking is has Natalicio placed higher standards for the coaches to meet.  Did Kugler recruit a bunch of great student athletes because he was told he had to, or did he recruit great students that can't compete because he just wanted to.  Same with Floyd.  Has Natalicio tied the coaches hands in a way that isn't public.  The players that are on the football team are great kids, many of them local kids.  That is great for building a family and community relationship, but if the kids get the fuck kicked out of them it makes the "family" look like the McPoyles.  I WANT TO KNOW THE ANSWER TO A SIMPLE YES OR NO QUESTION!  Does Natalicio have a hand in the recruitment that left us with a team that might win the GE College Bowl but couldn't win a real football game?  Did the coaches have a free hand, just like every other coach, or did Natalicio tell them the players had to get better grades.  Did she, in her quest for Title 1 status throw the teams under the bus to help her meet that goal?  If she did, don't you think the fans should know that?  I'm not saying she did, mind you.  I am asking, because Kugler's recruiting seems beyond just stupid.  It has always blown me away that the guy who hung his hat on being able to have the offensive line push people around could never put together a line that could even get a single yard when they needed it.  All, of the shitty coaches in UTEP's inglorious past could have done better than that.  Maybe it is because the players were simply overmatched great kids.  Could it be the secret reason why Floyd felt like he just couldn't continue?  I'm not trying to get some conspiracy going.  But, it seems to me that there are a whole lot of things being said and that have been said that has me wondering.  I have a lot of time on my hands.  But, I don't think my question is from another planet.  Kugler's football team seemed more like from another planet.  So, if anyone can answer my question with a yes or no, and they know what they are talking about, I would love to put it to sleep.  Or know the truth if that explains things.

I don't have an answer to your question, Ky. I will say that if Dr. Natalicio did put higher academic requirements on on athletes than those required by general admission standards, that would be lawsuit worthy, I think.  It also strikes me as a level of micromanagement I haven't seen in my years working in higher education.  Not to say your concern is unfounded, but it would be out of the ordinary.

Stereotypically, college administrators at cartel universities look the other way (or don't want to know - plausible deniability) about the admission requirements for athletes.

lieb

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 11:00:03 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • But, most of them haven't spent a career trying to attain a status they already have.  The fans look at the poor performance of a football team as keeping us from getting to the right conference.  What if she is looking at the football team and basketball team as having kept her from getting into the "conference" she wants to be in?  As for it being lawsuit worthy, you and I both have gone into an office and closed the door.  Those in charge are in charge.  Things get said, orders given, and there are no secretaries taking notes.  Then the door closes after the meeting is over.  Nothing else is said.  Doesn't need to be.  Dr. Natalicio looks like a sweet old Tweety Bird granny, but she is the ruler of the Queendom of UTEP.  Heavy is the crown and she has a neck like a linebacker (not one of ours, perhaps, but...).