Author Topic: Bob Stull  (Read 3231 times)

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
    • View Profile
Re: Bob Stull
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 02:07:33 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • UTEP Football is like a broken clock. It never changes, but once in a while everything lines up just right and it looks like it is working.  Then the moment passes.  It has been that way for a whole lot longer than Dr. Natalicio has been in charge.  At one time, El Paso was the big city west of the Mississippi.  It has been left in the dust by other cities as they grew, and the football fortunes have paralleled the growth of the cities.  We stayed the same and the other cities outgrew us. The football matches it. UTEP Football will stay exactly as it has always been unless and until there is a change in the desire of the citizens of El Paso.  Even the students don't give a rat's ass about the team.  The city doesn't embrace UTEP.  It is where the kids stop by and take classes.  The business that was generated by CMP in the few years he had the place rocking should have been a wake up call to the business community to step up and keep it going.  Instead they rode it for while it was good and watched it go bye-bye. The city would rather spend a bunch of money on a minor league baseball team than unite with the University of Texas at El Paso to make it a jewel in the desert.  "And the years go by....Same as it ever was.  Same as it ever was."-The Talking Heads

Interesting take on things. In hind sight, it was certainly foolish to hire someone without the experience to even coordinate one side of the ball let alone head up the whole thing.  Many of us wanted Price to resign or retire but I remember that Stull said recruiting was hurt by all the cartel violence in Mexico, particularly Juarez. UTEP opponents used that against UTEP in the recruiting process even though the violence did not spill into El Paso in any significant way. Knowing that, Stull should have kept Price on and rode out the situation. I'll bet the last five years would have been quite a bit better.

Ronstr

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 05:28:17 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm sorry. but that was just dumb. To suggest we keep losing is borderline retarded. Ride out losing until it "might" get better? OMG that type of thinking absolutely blows my mind.

Yes, Kugler was a mistake. HUGE mistake. On the other hand, most people thought he was a good hire at the time. If we had hired someone different, with more experience, with ANY experience, we would probably have done better. We stayed waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too long with Price. It damaged us more than some on here believe. Kugler should have been gone after year 3. We need to stop enabling losers and fire them instead of extended their contracts. While Price is a nice guy, he is a loser here. 7 straight losing season is a loser. Being in El Paso, a border town, doesn't excuse any coach from the responsibility of the only job they are hired for....to WIN. Crowds were good initially because we were winning. Not because Price was here. Not because it was exciting football. But because we were winning. Attendance dropped, and continued to drop, as the losing seasons continued. Kugler was right....he came into a dumpster fire. We couldn't get out of our own way. We were losing every damn year. Kugler made a bigger dumster fire which is spreading to the whole community. Neither coach is good for us.

I am appalled that Price was let back into our football program after he left such trash. Make no mistake about it, he is NOT doing it for free. In addition, Kugler is getting paid as well. Flat out stupid.
    Stull believes Price will sell tickets. He isn't. Stull believes all of El Paso loves Price. They don't. Stull thinks Price can help rescue some respect for this team. He can't.
    A bye week will do nothing. We will lose by more than 20 this week.

Summary.....keeping Price would have killed our program more than hiring Kuglar, which was horrible as well. To think "riding it out" would have been the right thing makes me believe you are Stull himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 06:59:45 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • MIW, the reason I mentioned the business community started with the thought that the vendors in the concourse could each have kicked in $100 more times lets say 30 vendors is an extra 3 grand a game to have a coach that puts 50 thousand butts in the seats instead of 20, 000.  If the vendors are making money with 20k in the stands, ask them if they would pay another $100 to have another 30 thousand hungry fans there?  Sun City Transit makes a ton more money.  The businesses on Cincinnati, and the money they were making when the Sun Bowl was rocking?  Hotels and motels, outsiders coming in to see the Miners play was generating so much money for the local community. My point wasn't about keeping Price.  My point was that if the money was spent on whatever coach it takes to get a steady 50k in the seats would cost x amount, while the revenue generated by the same steady 50k would more than pay for it.  You get a coach that makes $3 mil a year but wins 7 or 8 games a year and goes bowling every year, and all of a sudden you have scalpers selling tickets, and other conferences calling on you.  Or you can go cheap and invest in hankies to wave goodbye to other teams as the leave you behind and wipe the tears away from another miserable loss.  The fact that UTEP cannot or will not spend the $3 mil is no real shock.  But the fact that the business and political leaders can't find a way to make it happen seems to be just plain stupid.  There are plenty of cities that are out in the middle of nowhere, so that ain't it.  There are plenty of teams in war zones such as Chicago and Baltimore, so that ain't it.  Stillwater Oklahoma is a small town, but the Cowboys generate a butt load of money on Saturdays when football is in town.  Yes, the team splits money from bowl game winnings of the conference, but who doubts that jump to a cartel conference is a win?  Or we could do what we always do.  New car, or a used car?  New cost's a lot more but is reliable and the chicks dig it.  A used car is a used car. I've had both and I prefer new.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 06:39:58 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Interesting comment on the vendors.  I was chatting with a co-worker who went to WVU.  He recently worked a weekend doing concessions.  Apparently, every week the concession workers are volunteers from different organizations hoping to raise money.  In his case it was his daughters gymnastics teams.  The concession vendor pays them a tiny fraction of what they bring in.  He figured collectively it came out to substantially less than minimum wage.  The amount of money the vendor brought in just from the one booth he worked at was staggering.  I don't know if UTEP concessions vendors work this way, but if they don't they are behind the times.  And frankly if you're behind anything happening in West Virginia you might as well be in the 1800s.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 11:06:57 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Interesting comment on the vendors.  I was chatting with a co-worker who went to WVU.  He recently worked a weekend doing concessions.  Apparently, every week the concession workers are volunteers from different organizations hoping to raise money.  In his case it was his daughters gymnastics teams.  The concession vendor pays them a tiny fraction of what they bring in.  He figured collectively it came out to substantially less than minimum wage.  The amount of money the vendor brought in just from the one booth he worked at was staggering.  I don't know if UTEP concessions vendors work this way, but if they don't they are behind the times.  And frankly if you're behind anything happening in West Virginia you might as well be in the 1800s.

This is something that is done here at Sam Houston State. People working concessions are usually from local school groups who get a percentage of the sales to help with various school projects.  Two of my sons were in the high school band, so there were always band parents helping out.

If UTEP doesn't do this, they might want to think about it.  Builds good community ties.

lieb
    « Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 01:04:09 PM by liebestraum »

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 12:46:55 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • At the time Price was let go, I was certainly in favor of it but I didn't imagine that Stull would do what he did. I tried hard to stay positive about Kugler but he was a disaster for the program. The only reason I think Price could have done better over the last 5 years is that when the violence in Juarez subsided, he could have picked things up again in recruiting. Even without that, his last team was light years better than any team Kugler put on the field. I agree about offering a competitive salary in order to boost our football fortunes. I hope Dr. Natalicio sees the value in that this time around. And I agree on your business references but even Price's worst attendance was better than anything Kugler had in his 5 years. He not only brought more losing but a boring offense to go with it.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 01:14:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • "He not only brought more losing but a boring offense to go with it."

It was boring as all get out.  You could check the scores online and take a nap at home and save the money on tickets and sleep on the couch instead of sitting in bleachers. Wins were boring. Losses were infuriating!

As for the vendors, the ones that work in the concession booths are voluteers with different organizations.  I think I may have done it once about 40 years ago, myself with Kappa Delta Phi.  But I am talking about all of the other outside vendors that show up and set up their stands in the main entrance at the concourse.  There are probably 15-20 still there, but when the SB was rocking there were more than twice as many probably.  And that is just a drop in the bucket when it comes to all of the money being generated while the SB was filled up.  Hell, the Albertsons on Ressler would be packed with people getting tailgaiting supplies on Saturday mornings.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: October 25, 2017, 01:22:24 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Just a little confirmation on UTEP's need to up the salary for head football coach. You usually get what you pay for.

UTEP is now 13th out of 14 C-USA schools in head football coaches salary.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 01:35:31 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • "Or you can go cheap and invest in hankies to wave goodbye to other teams as the leave you behind and wipe the tears away from another miserable loss." Quote from Ky.

That was funny and it was very true.

Dawgma

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 12:02:45 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

I used to work the concerts (not the utep games) when i was younger working for a not for profit.  We'd bust ass for next to nothing.  It sucked.  I'm sure it still is the case now.  They treated us like second class citizens too.

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: October 26, 2017, 05:36:17 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Before the Sun Bowl was built, I used to work concessions at Kidd Field during Miner's games and the Sun Bowl.  I didn't make much but I enjoyed it.  I must have been about 13 or 14 when I did it.  I had my tray full of sodas or popcorn and walked up and down the stadium steps selling my goods.   ;D