Author Topic: Let's talk about a new head football coach  (Read 28243 times)

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk about a new head football coach
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2023, 05:13:51 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The AD and Prez don't give two shits about this site, or any other one.

Really they probably shouldn't.  Online fan sites are for die hard kooks.  They should however know enough to see that UTEP football is not succeeding.

The 5,000 fans in the stands this Friday should speak volumes.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: October 19, 2023, 07:36:26 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I was surprised that a good crowd for a Wednesday night game featuring a 2-5 home team showed up. 19.7k is good for that scenario.

Having said that, we are inching closer to a possible 2-10 season and canning Dimel. Our fan base is alive and well even after years of torture. Please hire a proven winner this time.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: October 20, 2023, 11:44:43 AM »
  • [applaud]1
  • [smite]0
  • I dream about a winning season the ensuing 40k + crowds at the SunBowl. It will happen if only we can get a winning coach instead of the losers we always get. Why are we so unlucky, even a school like Jax St can get a winning coach in their first year of FBS. It sometimes sucks to be a Utep fan.

I have the Miners fight song on my cell and someone asks me why I do and I tell them because we get to hear it so little because the Miners can't score and at least I don't want to forget how the tune goes.  LOL

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: October 24, 2023, 02:21:57 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm going to throw a candidate name out here and there 'cause, why not.

Brennan Marion, OC at UNLV. His "go go" offense is fast paced, his own invention and a combination of the triple option and the spread. They score a lot.

He was wr coach at Pitt in 2021. Pass game coordinator and wr coach at Texas in 2022 with other prior stops along the way. Only 36 years old.

Young, offensive minded and building a strong resume. Makes about $300k.
    « Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 02:29:10 PM by MinerInWisconsin »

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: October 24, 2023, 02:28:16 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Here is another possibility.

Brennan Carroll, OC at Arizona. Son of Pete Carroll. He has been TE coach at Miami Hurricanes and wr coach there as well. Was run game coordinator for his dad at the Seahawks and became the OC at Arizona in 2021. Makes abour $700k.
    « Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 10:06:00 PM by MinerInWisconsin »

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: October 24, 2023, 02:28:46 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I?ve cone to the conclusion that a fun high scoring offense is the correct answer for a school like UTEP.  Players in the portal will be looking for a place they can out up gaudy numbers.  And its a lot more fun for the fans.  I might still watch a 3 win team that put up 35 points vs 7

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: October 24, 2023, 05:26:18 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I?ve cone to the conclusion that a fun high scoring offense is the correct answer for a school like UTEP.  Players in the portal will be looking for a place they can out up gaudy numbers.  And its a lot more fun for the fans.  I might still watch a 3 win team that put up 35 points vs 7

I remember the Bobby Dobbs days at Texas Western/UTEP. He came to the Miners from coaching in the CFL. He said that football should be entertaing and he brought in an exciting offense. The Miners were called the Flying Miners and it was a lot of fun for the fans. I hope our admin sees the value in someone like that.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: October 24, 2023, 05:51:38 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Another, somewhat obscure name is:

Scotty Walden, head coach at fcs Austin Peay. 27-19 is not sensational but he has not had a losing season and is considered one of the best young up and coming offensive minds in the sport. He is 33 and makes about $300k. Interesting that he is from Texas, played qb at Sul Ross, coached at Hardin Simmons so he is familiar with our part of the country and does recruit the transfer portal. They are 5-2 so far this year.

KiddMiner

• Assayer
    • Picks Up!! GO MINERS!!!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: October 24, 2023, 08:40:04 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The question is..........will the Admin buy out Dimel? He has one more year left on his contract.

: ::)
    Picks Up!! GO MINERS!!!

Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: October 25, 2023, 11:37:28 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The question is..........will the Admin buy out Dimel? He has one more year left on his contract.

ONE MORE YEAR! Imigosh, I thought that this was his last contract year. That seals his fate, be ready for some more "exciting Utep football" next year. Woe is me/us!

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: October 25, 2023, 04:42:08 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

I think they need to find a donor to pay the bill - that is what the big schools do.

lieb

Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: October 25, 2023, 06:39:06 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

I think they need to find a donor to pay the bill - that is what the big schools do.

lieb

Maybe if one big donor writes a BIG check to the "University of Texas" that there will be an enterprising young bank teller that will add "at El Paso" to the check. LOL

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: October 28, 2023, 06:34:44 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Another name to throw out is Jeff Banks. Currently the special teams coordinator and TE coach for Texas. He is in his 40's and makes $1M per year.

Played for Mike Price at WSU as a punter. Coached for Price at UTEP as rb coach and special teams coordinator for 9 years and also coached at Alabama along the way. Don't know if he ever wants to be a head coach but he has great experience at the biggest programs in the country plus knows UTEP and Texas recruiting.

UTEP would have to open the wallet to get him.
    « Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 09:32:13 PM by MinerInWisconsin »

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: November 13, 2023, 08:18:59 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yet another name for UTEP to consider is Oregon State OC Brian Lindgren. Prolific offense, 43 years old and makes a little over $800k. I'm still hopefull that we will have a new coach in early December. Fingers crossed that it will be a coach that would never say, "we are not about scoring a lot of points. Thats not who we are." to quote Dimel.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: November 13, 2023, 08:36:19 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The competition for new head coaches is about to get fierce. Bigger, richer programs that could affect UTEP's search, assuming we will have a search, at this point are Northwestern, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Michigan State, Boise State. Their hires will affect UTEP by trickle down. Other openings will occur as well. We might see Nevada, San Diego State and UNM in the market for new coaches soon too. We better open up the pocket book and get cracken.