Author Topic: Let's talk about a new head football coach  (Read 28247 times)

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
    • View Profile
Let's talk about a new head football coach
« on: September 25, 2023, 12:32:05 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don't have much faith that UTEP's admin will let Dimel go this year but that's my hope. So based only on hope, I want UTEP to hire a new HC fhat has a record of success at some level.

I've seen Robert Rodriguez mentioned on other forums but he has always a position coach in the nfl. We've been down that road recently and it was a disaster.

One guy I like is the Idaho coach, Jason Eck. Last year he took over a losing team and had a winning season and into the fcs playoffs. Doing well this year too with a win over fbs Nevada.

I'm sure there are other good possibilities out there, maybe even OC at Texas St, Mack Leftwich. Helluva offense and a win over Baylor. That program is being turned around.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Let's talk about a new head football coach
    « Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 12:57:09 PM »
  • [applaud]1
  • [smite]0
  • I want a winning winner who?s winning now and before. I want a fricken guaranteed winner. We aren?t underwater in debt. We have a fan base of standing room only fifty thousand guaranteed to literally rock the Sun Bowl for a winning team. I want a sure bet coach. I have the fucking money waiting in desperate fans. Take a fucking chance.  Show a little fight. Give a shit!  Wilson.  Front porch?  Show the people of El Fucking Paso the school is worth it.  Show Texas that El Paso is TEXAS!  Give Texas a reason to acknowledge it. At least try. You have never really even tried.  The worst part is that the money is almost guaranteed. They won?t take a chance when there is almost no risk. Almost like they are anti-football.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 01:11:00 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Someone that has won at a UTEP level or slightly lower.  Prefer a HC over a coordinator because they understand how to run a program.  It's different than being a coordinator and I don't really want to hire Leftwich and expect him to run the offense and coach.  Hire him as OC.   And for crying out loud fire Aaron Price.  Special teams has been an embarrassment for years.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 11:22:00 AM »
  • [applaud]1
  • [smite]0
  • The tough realization about all this is if we had dumped Dimel last year, we could have had a shot at Deion Sanders.

And we blew it.  Dammit to heck.  :(

lieb

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 11:31:44 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Wishing for Utep to hire a new coach is like throwing coins into a outhouse hole and wanting a wish to come true.

I heard a little bit, just a little bit mind you of Dim's press conference and I just went fast forward. Listening to this joker is like listening to die hard Democrats defend what Biden has accomplished. It's all gas lighting.

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 05:28:01 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Dismal Dimel.  That's all I have to say.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 02:58:31 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Is there any number of losses in a row that could get him canned and if so how many?  24?

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 29, 2023, 03:30:02 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Please forgive me. I am a UTEP fan. I am using reverse jinxification by speaking about losses knowing that what I want is usually what happens and what I don?t want is what does. If it seems like I am mixed up that is part of the second part of the jinxification plan- to not be able to know what I want to keep it from being thwarted.

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 30, 2023, 04:36:02 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Dismal Dimel!

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 30, 2023, 06:46:23 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I didn't watch or listen.  But I've read some of the comments and I gather we have ZERO QBs on the roster that should be playing D1.  Not even guys on the bench that look like they could get there.

In football there is one position that is considered the most critical.  One position that gets paid the most in the NFL, one position that fans talk the most about.  QB.   Now you'd think a guy with all the years of experience Dimel has would know this.  But maybe not

Here's the possibilities that I can think of:

1.  Dimel knows QB is important but can't recruit a good QB
    2.  Dimel doesn't think QB is all that important (see Kug)
    3.  Dimel gets decent QBs and they devolve while here
    4.  Dimel can't identify good QBs

There could be a combo of the above.  If I were a good QB (or WR), why would I want to play for 10 points per game?

Which leads me to the thought that maybe a high scoring offense is much more attractive to all offensive players at every position.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 30, 2023, 07:01:17 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Dimel hates football. He doesn?t play football. His thing is to not let the other team play football, either. But teams that like football play football-not keep away and they just score instantly because the defense doesn?t practice against a football team they practice watching the offense do stupid shit over and over. Do you think the defense is practicing pass defense against the offense?  Only other teams pass.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 30, 2023, 05:12:38 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I wonder if those two idiots in charge, the prez and the AD go to this site? It sure would be grand if they did at least they wouldn't be in their ivory towers not giving a Schiff about Utep sports and would hear the average fan and how we're at our lowest point of fandom.

They don't know El Paso's psychic, that if the Miners win the stands will be bursting and would generate all the money they need for a successful football team and basketball too for that matter. When I saw this woman get hired I thought that she would care about sports since she was at AFA, but I was wrong, she's just a tall Natalicio with the same mindset.

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: September 30, 2023, 08:20:33 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The AD and Prez don't give two shits about this site, or any other one.

Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: October 01, 2023, 10:58:50 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Hey it's Z, welcome back my friend. You're right, they're like congress don't care about the average Joe.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: October 01, 2023, 02:45:52 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The AD and Prez don't give two shits about this site, or any other one.

Really they probably shouldn't.  Online fan sites are for die hard kooks.  They should however know enough to see that UTEP football is not succeeding.