Author Topic: UTEP Mens Basketball Recruiting  (Read 15720 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: UTEP Mens Basketball Recruiting
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2022, 11:14:57 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Each of us creates the reality that suits us, when we can.  It is when it runs into someone else's reality that can screw everything up!  Damn it!  I blame it on the French, as they are often to blame and when they aren't it serves them right for when they are.

I really do believe that we, UTEP, may have a chance for a bit of a rebirth.  C-USA is such an unknown at this time.  It is a shell of what it was.  Or is it?  The teams that remain are not the dregs of the conference.  Western Kentucky had come to consider the eastern division of C-USA to be theirs instead of Marshall's and were showing it wasn't just talk.  The bad team of the west was us, and we went to a bowl game and look to be getting better.  We have some new teams that are some of the very best teams in the country who are supposed to be perhaps challenged by the step up.  That's a laugh.  The teams that are jumping up are used to being at the very top.  Expectations are already set in stone over years of meeting and achieving the highest of them.

If and when we get actual schedules, we may know more.  But you are absolutely right, too.  Our future lies with our teams and not the conference.  We need to control what we have control of and win.  Just win, baby!  Winning solves everything.  It is the one thing we do have some control over.  We have OU, UNM, and Boise.  OU is OU.  Even with the renewed hope and confidence last season brought, a solid showing would be acceptable of course.  UNM is supposedly a half level higher than us in conference levels.  This is a game that we can win and should win if we have the belief that we should be playing tough schedules.  Boise State is known to be head and shoulders above us.  Perhaps even capable of being a cartel school.  The Sun Bowl will be packed.  We are easily encouraged and get wound up tighter than a $2 Timex!  Boise won't be shocked or scared by it, but our players, our team will be pumped up so high it might be a damned dog fight that we take!  And by out dog fighting them!  Then we get a bunch of revenge games against traitorous bastards.  The year, no matter how it turns out will be huge for us.  It looks good, too.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: April 05, 2022, 02:10:45 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Damn French!  You're right!  It's always them!

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: April 05, 2022, 02:57:12 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • From Verbal Commits:

4/5/2022 - 2018 SG Christian Agnew (6-2, 182, 2★) will be transferring.
        4/5/2022 - JUCO SG Emmanuel White (6-5, 178, 2★) will be transferring.
        4/2/2022 - 2017 PF Tydus Verhoeven (6-9, 225, 2.5★) will be transferring.
        4/1/2022 - JUCO C Bonke Maring (6-10, 240, 2★) will be transferring.
        3/31/2022 - 2022 SG Jacob Wilson (6-5, 200, 2★) has received an offer from UTEP.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: April 05, 2022, 04:04:57 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Add Saterfield

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: April 05, 2022, 05:49:16 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So, JB, Saterfield, TV, Agnew, Maring, & White are gone. In my eyes, the big loss is JB. Boum, KK, & Sibley only starters still here. SO FAR.
    You were talking about Golding recruits & it looked incomplete.
    Saterfield 2☆ JUCO Transfer
    Giffa 2☆ out of France
    Dos Anjos 2☆ JUCO Transfer
    Maring 2☆ JUCO Transfer
    Hamilton 2☆ JUCO Transfer
    Evans 4☆ SD St Transfer
    Sibley 4☆ Georgetown Transfer
    Kalu 2☆ Highschool in Maryland
    Hollins 3.7☆ Grad Transfer

The way I see it, we have three 4☆ kids still on the team with Evans SG, KK SG, & Sibley SF/PF. Kalu, Onyema, & Hamilton at the 5. Boum SG, & Dos Anjos PF. We are missing a couple of PG's & possibly 1 more big. JB leaving is the only 1 hurting us. Everyone else leaving has a good replacement.
    Dos Anjos for Hollins
    Evans for Saterfield
    Hamilton for TV
    Kalu for Maring

I have no doubt Golding will pick up good PGs as he did at ACU.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: April 05, 2022, 06:20:22 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So far, I think these players, except TV are looking for playing time, and that means a step down.  I could be wrong, of course.  I don't think Saterfield, Agnew, White, or Maring a thinking some higher level team is going to jump at the chance to land them. We know what we have lost, but they all open up a scholarship for Golding to give.  TV is holding out hope that a cartel team will pick him up.  They might, too.  One more thing.  TV said he came back this year to give UTEP a good year.  He did, too.  He got his degree.  You know he had a scholarship here if he wanted it.  I don't think he wanted another season like he just had.  I don't think he felt fulfilled.

I think the players that are staying are the story.  At this point, I think it may give us an idea of where Golding wants to go.  Saterfield was his second recruit-after Maring.  Saterfield has done just fine and I think he may be fishing.  I'm not sure he played well enough to moveup, and I think he was in line to get plenty of pt here.  Kalu is a Golding recruit and I think he has an enormous upside.  Onyema and Hamilton, along with Kalu just for starters seems pretty good maybe. 

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: April 05, 2022, 07:14:33 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Was sorry to see Agnew in the portal today. I still think he had some upside, his N Alabama stats were certainly better than when he was here but I liked his hussle and felt like he had some upside potential. Maring was a big disappointment to me. He's got a good shot, moves well, but just seemed to lack the fire to be a Div 1 big. Saterfield; don't think I was as high on him as others. He shoots a knuckleball if you watch his shot closely...very weird rotation on the ball when he shoots....runs hot or cold, no in between and can't drive. He shot lights out at near 50% early on but disappeared in conference play. White, can't blame the guy for moving on but would've liked him staying. He wasn't going to play much though.

I'm hoping Boum and Kennedy are playing the long game and waiting to see who Golding brings in before they make a decision.
    « Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 08:55:15 PM by ATL-Miner »

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: April 05, 2022, 08:00:49 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I am speculating, and maybe lying to myself, that Kennedy and Boum indicated plans to stay which along with those being pursued indicated to the other guards that it was time to move on.  I imagine Golding is a straight shooter and told them they would not be getting PT.

I can't imagine that any incoming recruit would make Kennedy or Boum think they had to go elsewhere.

lot of the 2 star guys leaving, and gives me hope that coach has better talent lined up.  Definitely need a PG now.  Will be interesting to see.  Ballhandlers are a dime a dozen.  PG's that can handle the ball, distribute, score, and -- key Golding skillset -- play defense?  That's harder to find.

For the bigs, a bunch of high energy 6-6 to 6-9 guys that are quick and mobile combined with one or two goons in the paint?  That's a pretty solid plan.  Z and Hamilton can put you on your butt if you come in their house.  And stuff you through the hoop if you try to foul them when they get it.

But the real ticket to winning anymore?  3 point shooting.  No one is always consistent so you have to have a team full of guys that can shoot it and ride whoever's got the hot hand that day.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: April 05, 2022, 10:34:04 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • And defend the 3 as well.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: April 06, 2022, 01:39:46 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I saw that Butch Pierre decided to take the Asst job at Witchita St. He is our best recruiter, but that doesn't mean Golding can't be successful without him. This was Butch's 1st year with Golding & Joe was very successful  before. I wish Butch luck where he goes & it will be unfortunate that Butch won't be able to coach against his son who is a bball asst at Liberty.
    As always, we move on.
    I'm hoping Boykins is able to pick up some quality PG's.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: April 06, 2022, 04:19:56 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Boum and Clardy are in the portal.
    « Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 04:26:23 PM by kyyote »

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: April 06, 2022, 04:35:00 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Losing Boum & JB hurts. Losing 3 starters is tough. Let's see what transpires.

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: April 06, 2022, 05:21:26 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well, there is now room for the brothers

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: April 06, 2022, 05:34:42 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • In the past, this would be catastrophic. Nowadays it?s how teams are assembled, or should I say reassembled each year. Many of the top teams were total rebuilds, including Baylor and Tech. Dad has cleaned out the toy box, and yes, we no longer have some of our favorites but we haven?t opened our Christmas presents yet. Interesting for sure. 

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: April 06, 2022, 06:34:32 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think the Newton Brothers is a pipe dream. The good thing about going Pro is you can come from any school. JB & Boum did it. Golding can use that as a tool to bring in talent. I really think we can get good talent to come here like other good mid-majors like Houston, Zags, Butler, Villanova, etc. We just need to find a way to keep good coaches. Getting good players is a band-aid. Keeping good coaches is a cure.