Author Topic: UTEP Mens Basketball Recruiting  (Read 15722 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: UTEP Mens Basketball Recruiting
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2022, 08:45:27 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • "Christian Agnew is a basketball player born on July 30, 1999 in Detroit (MI). His height is six foot two (1m87 / 6-2). He is a point guard who most recently played for UTEP Miners in NCAA."

"HIGH SCHOOL: He played point guard and shooting guard ..."

I don't know.  Obviously, he can play the position, but it is a matter of how well.   Don't get me wrong.  I cringed all season whenever he had the ball in his hands.  I am saying that in his last two games, against decent competition, his stats are as good or better than JB's.  In the last two games he was not the disaster I would have thought.  I figure Golding will fix him or find a replacement for him.  It may depend on who is just there to be had.  But after seeing Agnew play in a starting role the last two games I don't think it would be disastrous the way I would have based off of his off the bench play.

As for Hamilton, and how his big men are used.  I don't know how much of that was dictated by the players and how much was Golding's philosophy.  Was it Golding or TV that made TV play like a true gentleman instead of the force I expect from a post player. 

Verhoeven, Tydus
    31   28   781   25.2   85   167   .509   0   2   .000   34   50   .680   204   6.6   47   97   144   4.6   95   35   49   23   32

Offense
    25 min a game averaging 6.6 pts/gm. 
    Defense
    4.6 rebounds/gm.  Two of our guards, Boum averaged 4.5 and KK 6.1, were as good or better.  A/TO ratio of 35/49 and 32 blocks. 

Sibley, Jamari
    33   23   677   20.5   68   148   .459   16   46   .348   23   34   .676   175   5.3   31   100   131   4.0   55   25   28   11   34 

I think we saw what was dictated by the players he had available.  He was doing what he could with Terry's players.  Hamilton may be a tell.  Does Hamilton look like he is going to be sprinting out to guard three pointers, does he look like he is sprinting anywhere?  He seems like a paint beast to me.
    It seems to me that we couldn't rebound and were constantly getting burned in the paint, especially because or defense was out running around instead of protecting against a damned layup.  Six 10 and 280 may just stop some of that shit. 
    I think we are going to play a very different game next year.  Our inability to play with power in the paint cost us enormously by giving up free throw points and the disruption that fouls place on opponents.  Look at the points TV contributed at the free throw line.  Thirty four points in 31 games!  One point a game. 

I will bet $5 that Hamilton will nearly double the 6.6 pts/gm.  I believe he will average 10 pts/gm making layups and free throws.
    WE averaged 69 points per game.  Boum, JB, and KK, combined averaged 50 pts a game.  TV, Saterfield, and Sibley combined averaged 17.  I expect to see that change.  I believe that Golding will look to move the game much more into the paint.  Just my opinion.  We'll see.
    « Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 11:29:26 AM by kyyote »

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: April 03, 2022, 03:26:39 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • You make a good point.  I think we all agree he's a pretty good coach, and yet I've been assuming that the D we saw last year was what he was after, when it could be that it was the D his guys could play.  A good coach adjusts his game to the players he has.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: April 03, 2022, 05:45:07 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So, we watched ACU beat UT and then we had a season to watch Golding coach Terry's team for the most part.  In a Covidy injury plagued year.  I decided I would try to learn more about a Golding team.  Not writing a book, but here is some stats from his season before UTEP at ACU:

gms  gmsstar min mpg fg fga       fg% 3     3atp  3%    ft     fta      %    pts   avg   ore   dre   reb  avg   pf        ass  to   stls  blks
    Mason, Coryon   G
    35   32   938   26.8   133   301   .442   37   99   .374   121   147   .823   424   12.1   19   62   81   2.3   98   55   47   35   7

Simmons, Airion      F
    34   34   711   20.9   150   311   .482   38   111   .342   67   107   .626   405   11.9   55   132   187   5.5   106   66   67   51   18

Morris, Mahki       G
    36   36   892   24.8   130   296   .439   38   128   .297   92   108   .852   390   10.8   21   82   103   2.9   98   54   44   55   1

Steele, Cameron       F
    36   19   806   22.4   125   256   .488   40   111   .360   41   55   .745   331   9.2   41   101   142   3.9   65   40   31   25   19

Cameron, Tobias      G
    36   17   694   19.3   79   170   .465   19   62   .306   64   83   .771   241   6.7   49   81   130   3.6   82   63   45   30   4

Miller, Reggie        G
    36   36   1044   29.0   73   194   .376   19   76   .250   59   87   .678   224   6.2   52   86   138   3.8   85   79   60   70   6

The two forwards were 6'5" and 6'8" but I think I see a more balanced offense.  Notice the rebounds.  Then look at the Miners rebounds and who lead the team-by far! 

One more thing.  I don't think TV really wanted to play in the paint.  He was a guy who loved basketball but unfortunately for him, he was being used as a wrestler instead of the dancer he wanted to be.  I think Golding tried to get him to play with force and set things up for him to, but TV would rather get an assist.  I don't think Hamilton will have that problem.  I think he is ok with being a bully, the wrestler, and has absolutely no desire whatsoever to be a dancer.  Again, I don't know shit from apple butter, and maybe I'm just hoping, but I also know that Dos Anjos was recruited and played for LMU and he is shown as a pf and I see power and blocks from him.  Right away to add support to what is right now, as I see it, a formidable front line coming together.  Onyema, Hamilton, Kalu, Dos Anjos, Sibley, and Saterfield starts looking like a sweet mix of arm breakers and strokers/buzzards.  Throw in a KK hybrid and we are looking strong so far.  Bring me Boum back for his Hall of Fame season and he could be the leader of a monster of a team to cement his legacy with.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: April 04, 2022, 06:58:24 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think TV gave us everything he had.  He also seemed to be a genuinely decent guy.  Always smiling, always chatting friendly with teammates, refs, and opposing players.  Often offered a hand to opposing guys that were on the floor.  Not a legendary Miner, no great legacy, but solid and smart and I'm pleased he was one of us.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: April 04, 2022, 07:34:40 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Don.t get me wrong.  I agree that he gave it his best effort and he was good at what he was doing.  Put him next to Caracter and the two would have ruled the world.  I agree that he gave us great years and he is a fine Miner.  Remember that he was Terry's wingman for feeding Williams and he did that really well.  I would have loved to have him partnering with Hamilton or Onyema for that matter but it is water under the bridge.  I imagine what could have been with a developed Onyema with TV as his wingman.  I think TV would have been a pretty good imitation of Williams without Williams 3 pt threat. 

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: April 04, 2022, 11:33:00 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So, I'm not an Agnew fan. I love his energy & D, but he is too careless. That's why he didn't see much time on the floor. Golding even said that Saucy gives him headaches. His bricks, turn overs, & quick fouls need to be addressed. Thise are horrible traits to take into the 1 position. At his age, I think he may have already hit his ceiling.
    If we don't get a good PG replacement, Golding will probably teach the kids to get the ball to the half court & then set up the offense. Boum & KK could do that job (if they stay).
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: April 04, 2022, 12:22:59 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Of current players, the only one I really trust to bring the ball up in critical situations is KK.  Boum has loose handles.  Agnew has no handles. 
    KK our best defender -- rarely gets blown by.  Agnew 2nd best -- sometimes loses his man but somehow gets back and disrupts.  Boum a distant 3rd.
    None of them reliable 3pt shooters -- Boum and KK very very streaky, Agnew, like the rest of his game, all over the place.

I actually really like Agnew.  He gives 110% and wears his heart on his sleeve, and gives you heartburn.  He reminds me a lot of Johnny Melvin.  But I guess we'll see what the offseason does.  IF he can somehow reign himself in he could be a valuable player.  Kyy is correct that in the last few games he was an important piece. 

Maybe, just maybe, he was trying too hard because he believed that was how to get more play.  By dialing it back a notch and playing within himself he was better.  Or maybe it's just because he was playing against lower level competition

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: April 04, 2022, 02:09:39 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • "Maybe, just maybe, he was trying too hard because he believed that was how to get more play.  By dialing it back a notch and playing within himself he was better.  Or maybe it's just because he was playing against lower level competition"

I think this is a hit to the nail.  Right on the head.  Like you say, he plays with his heart on his sleeve at 110% and you can see it when he has to sit.  It kills him.

Key point.  We saw Agnew inserted because JB and Golding came to that conclusion.  We don't know how that went down, but I figure it was unexpected.  So Agnew came in and played like a very normal player.  The competition was good enough to have been in a tournament.  I know.  It wasn't the very top of the lists of great teams.  But what if Agnew and Golding had time to actually plan to maximize Agnew instead of using him to fill a sudden loss.  I don't want to make too much, as players substitute all the time, but Agnew was never in the position to maximize his presence. 

Again though, the difference between being the starting guard and the utility bench player can't be measured.  Ownership, pride, respect, honor, discipline, are all just the beginning of the ways it changes things.  I know, sometimes you pass someone the torch and they drop it, but sometimes you hand them the torch and they rspond with the race of the life.  Ask yourself which one you think Agnew is.  I know he has been a star in the past, so I don't think the pressure is going to cause him to crumble.  My money says he rises to the challenge.  I have seen his heart.  I don't question it.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: April 04, 2022, 02:39:42 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It's interesting.  Every player that got PT was a much better player at the end of the season than the beginning.  I know being on the court helps, but that didn't help Terry any.

At the beginning of the season I thought Hollins was a waste of a schollie.  Kennedy was a mess and Boum could only jack up 3s.  TV couldn't make a layup.  Z looked like a wild, uncoordinated colt.  Agnew was a mess.

I'm excited about the future.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: April 04, 2022, 11:25:06 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Then we agree to disagree. I agree with all the plus side stuff y'all said about Agnew. However, I think his negatives outweigh it. He should not be starting IMO. I want my Miners back with quality guards.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: April 05, 2022, 08:42:42 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Players come and go.  Nowadays, colleges are bus stops for players moving up and down.  Every player is a free agent looking for a good move up or a good move down to give them a better chance to play.  You have to know where your bus stop in the overall landscape.  Our best players will have a chance to move up or down but right now there isn't much below us.  I point this out because it is the range we are in and we have to recognize that every year is a rebuilding year, now.  Our best players are likely to leave, as almost every team is a move up.  I hate saying that, but we are in a conference that almost doesn't exist.  I mean we don't even know who is in it.  I say this because it is part of the way we have to get better. The further up the chain we move the less teams there are to feed off of us and for our players to move up to.  So, C-USA strength going forward will be critical.  We have to prove that C-USA is better than somebody.  Right now, our target would be to establish that the conference is better than the Sun Belt.  Our teams are leaving for it instead of us pulling teams from them as we used to. 

Now, let's talk Miners bball.  More specifically Golding recruiting.  I read that Maring was his first recruit, and he was a miss.  I admit that I don't know who else he brought in, and it was late in the game.  So, I will concentrate on Dos Anjos, Hamilton, and Evans.  I am wondering about Evans and if he was eligible in Jan or what.  So, I don't know what to think about him.  Let's just say he is a go for the upcoming season.  TV, and JB were starters and I have to ask if Hamilton is a trade up or down for the loss of TV.   He hasn't played a minute so I admit that I am just guessing but I think we may have gotten better, especially offensively.  But more than that, I think he will provide a more balanced attack.  Now, JB for Evans.  This one is tougher.  JB had fallen from the OU and Big12 and we knew why.  This year he found his shot and it was what was missing before.  Evans has talent but has been a "problem" maybe.  I don't know.  But if he is as good as we think he could be, it seems that we have at least a draw and maybe a step up.  Hollins for Dos Anjos?  The Sessions kid I think is a long shot.  We'll see.  So, Golding can coach.  He makes players better, and he makes a team a better team.  We will have to see if he can land players but, players see that he makes players and teams better, so that is a definite draw for them. 

I will say it today.  I think we will play for the C-USA championship and win, that's right, win the regular season championship.  And I don't even know if we will have Boum-or Kennedy!  But if we do have those two, we will be better than we were this year.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: April 05, 2022, 09:39:51 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Honestly, we're not going to prove anything about CSA.  We just need to focus on us.  My model for hoops is Gonzaga, and for football is Boise.

Both were essentially no-names that built up and became powers.  Each one in absolute middle of nowhere podunk places that no one would really want to go.

So what did they have?  A dedication to winning, and a plan to implement it.  Both found the coaching staffs they wanted and paid what it took.  They built programs.  In the process, they both took an attitude that they would play anyone anywhere and make them regret it.  This attracted better players than they would have otherwise gotten.

If you're a 3-4 star player you know there's a chance you won't get to be the star at a power school.  But what if there was a slightly lower tier school where you would be the star, the team would get to the post season most years, and you'd get to play all those power schools on TV?

In football we need to book two power schools every year.  One of them needs to be beatable.  In basketball, 5-6 power schools if we can schedule them.  Got to get those quality wins.  Even if we expect to get the auto-bid in our own tourney, we need to get better seeds.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: April 05, 2022, 10:21:50 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I disagree.  We aren't Boise or Gonzaga, never will be, and the powers that be have no intention of making us either Boise or Gonzaga.  Wilson and UTEP aren't going to pay 3 million bucks a year for a basketball coach.  We are not all of a sudden become the rebel outlier.  We need a conference,  We need the affiliation.  NMSU is begging to get into C-USA.  They didn't magically turn into Boise by getting ass kickings for a paycheck.  We can debate it all day long but we aren't going to be Boise State or Gonzaga. 

So, our future is tied to our conference's future as it has been for the past 60 years.  We have been on a steady decline ever since in conferences.  There was a time when the WAC was a potential multi bid conference.  C-USA was strong enough to be cut in two when we were first there.  I could go on, but our conference strength, our conference has a direct impact on our team, and our team can have a direct impact on a not even entirely newly formed conference.  If this conference doesn't survive we might get your wish and be NMSU's ass kicking travel buddy in search of that Boise magic with wounded players who were willing to sign up for the weekly whippings, convinced by a coach that they could be a part of the new Boise out here in El Paso.

Nope.  I believe we had better hope that C-USA can restart and somehow emerge better than the teams that left.  That means survival.  Then maybe we can start proving as a conference that we can play two cartel teams each and win our share as a conference. 

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: April 05, 2022, 10:26:55 AM »
  • [applaud]1
  • [smite]0
  • well, you're right, but I refuse to admit it, so that makes it real right?  I read that logic in the news all the time.