Author Topic: UTEP Mens Basketball Recruiting  (Read 15705 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: UTEP Mens Basketball Recruiting
« Reply #180 on: June 22, 2022, 10:32:32 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Do we know when the basketball roster will be updated?
    I was listening to Kappy a few nights ago and Asst coach talked about each kid. He got me excited. Our back court is gonna be pretty good. I think I'm gonna go see a practice. Last practice I attended didn't really show much big man offensive activity under the basketball. If we can get at least 1 of the 3 bigs to surprise us, we should repeat 20 wins. I'm that confident in this gritty team.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #181 on: June 23, 2022, 05:53:45 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Are practices happening now?  I really hope you get a chance to go to one and let us know your thoughts.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #182 on: June 23, 2022, 11:57:07 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The thing that got me excited in the past was that if we got a good lower classification player and that he was a proven commodity that we could keep him for at least 3 years. Nowadays that doesn't even matter. With this portal Bull Schiff if a player proves his mettle it's likely he'll be leaving...and that sucks. I don't pay attention to his scholastic classification because of the portal.

NCAA sucks and the Cartel gets all the benefits.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #183 on: June 23, 2022, 06:32:46 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don't think practices are happening now. Once NCAA allows, Golding is open to allowing season ticket holders attending. Only 6 at a time. I love it.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #184 on: June 27, 2022, 10:58:53 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Finally the UTEP website has an updated roster. I noticed a Coronado grad walked on to the team as well.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #185 on: July 16, 2022, 09:34:25 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Saw that UTEP offered 2☆ 6'2" SG Shammah Scott out of Ohio for this up coming season. He is out of highschool. The kid is not really spectacular, but has a skill we are all familiar with. He drives to the hoop & either finishes or gets fouled. Much like Souley Boum. His 3 is OK, but I didn't see any mid range game or defense. Not really a starter, but a strong back up to our already deep back court.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #186 on: July 27, 2022, 10:06:35 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Looking into Bball recruiting, UTEP has been on the trail very hard. They have 2-3 recruited lined up for 2023. A 6'9" Robert Morris transfer & 2 6'5" SGs. He starting to recruit the length we are used to when Terry was here. Just not high ☆ quality. With Golding coming from DII then small DI, he has perfected scoping for under the radar type players. We need 1 or 2 big players to make this work. I hope we see that in McKinney & Sibley since they both were 4☆ players out of highschool.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #187 on: July 27, 2022, 10:48:59 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Thanks for the updates.  I don't have time myself to keep up right now.  These recruits are "lined up" you say, so does that mean we have some kind of verbal commitment?  Have you had a chance to look into them at all?

I think we saw last year that player rankings might not matter a lot, but if they don't have the capability to play Golding's D correctly it really really hurts us.  His D is high risk and if a player is out of position it results in a dunk

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #188 on: July 27, 2022, 09:24:31 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • No commitments, but I love seeing that early activity.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #189 on: August 06, 2022, 10:18:33 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Been listening to Kappy a bit on ESPN Radio. He's had Cox, Boykins, etc on. From what they are saying is they have some tough kids that can shoot. They talked about the comparison with 80s Miner teams from Chicago. Man did I love hearing that.