Author Topic: UTEP Mens Basketball Recruiting  (Read 15704 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: UTEP Mens Basketball Recruiting
« Reply #165 on: May 20, 2022, 05:55:18 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yeah, I think y'all are on the money.

Onyema goes strong to the hole, and seems to have the mental attitude to play in the paint.

I think Kalu had some of the skills but was intimidated by the size and strength of his opponents.  If he can hit the weight room and develop an attitude he could get there his junior and senior years, but I doubt he's there next year.

The 6-11 kid is high school class of 2024.  He plays like a SF.  Does have a nice shot.  Interesting, but he'd better spend some time at Tim Horton's.  Regardless he won't be helping us next year.

Overall I don't see much of an outside game here next year.  Top 3 pt shooter may be Sibley.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #166 on: May 20, 2022, 08:19:28 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • When I look at this team, I see nothing that makes me feel good about it.  I look at 1700 players that have entered the transfer portal and these are the ones Golding was able to find and get.  I see teams in our conference and nmsu getting players that appear to be higher profile players and I have to think either Golding is going to just come apart once he has to play with his players and not Terry's or he knows something that caused him to choose these players.  I have to believe in him on blind faith and that isn't easy to do.  He seems to be able to coach but all we have seen is him do it with another guy's players. 
    I'm looking for hints.  I am assuming that the players he got out of all that were out there are the players he wanted and not just what he could get.  And he chose a point guard that is a true point guard.  He had to start from scratch, and he found his floor general.  I think he found his perfect man for the job.  The ability to be the coach on the floor is about knowledge and skills and those won't be diminished because the competition level got better.  But Givance isn't a star either.  He is the straw that stirs the drink.  He needs something to drink to stir.  Like Clara Barton, I am asking where's the beef.  Is it in a stud shooting star.  Do we have a guard that is going to drop thirty on teams consistently.  Who?  The answer is Hell no!  Do you see any Shaqs or KD's in our new collection of players?  I don't see any beasts.  It seems to me that Golding is looking to assemble a team of competent players at each position to just do their jobs. It seems to me that he is looking for balanced scoring from all five positions.  I also think he may be looking for the ability to use his bench to keep up the balanced attacking defense, with fresh bodies than a starting five with some bench relief.  I also think he has gotten the forwards he wants to take advantage of the turnovers his defense forces.  Last year we had no game inside.  Points came from outside.  I expect it to be almost the opposite this year.  I expect 60 % or so of our points to come from the front line.  So, if that is the case, they will need to get about 40 from them.
    I think Golding believes he can play basketball straight up with his players playing your players straight up on offense.  Just do your job, work the ball around and make easy open shots.  He wins by defensive pressure giving him an extra 5 to ten possessions and those are winning points.
    « Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 10:17:20 AM by kyyote »

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #167 on: May 20, 2022, 07:02:32 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The 3 kids that should be starting are Sibley, Hardy, & Givance. That is PG, SG, & SF. KY & I are wrestling with Solomon, but I feel Frazier should be the starter for PF. He is only 6'7", but the kid is strong & has Onyema athleticism. I would say Onyema, but he can't shoot & doesn't have post moves, unless he grows some skills this summer. Because his skills are limited, he is better at protecting the pai t as a center.
    That is where it starts to get very tricky. Is do t know how Hamilton is going to play. If he plays like that other 6'10" kid that was here a year & couldn't figure out what to do, then it will be Kalu & Onyema battling for the 5.
    No doubt all kids will play, since that is what Golding did last year. Even walk on's got great playing time.
    The kids will be given an opportunity to play & those that dominate, will see more minutes.
    This team Golding put together is a gritty & tough team with speed & ball control. I don't doubt rebounds & turnovers will be much improved. It is the scoring that has me scratching my head.
    Also, we have a bench, gentlemen. Last year our bench was not that strong.
    « Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 07:27:54 PM by Chanson »
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #168 on: May 20, 2022, 07:27:22 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  •  ?It is the scoring that has me scratching my head.?

We agree on that. All of a sudden they all have to be much more productive than they have been. I still have my fingers crossed that there will be an announcement that we have landed some sleeper that is a guaranteed 30 points a game. I know.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #169 on: May 20, 2022, 08:20:49 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • There are a LOT of names in the portal and we have spots.  He?s probably waiting to see if someone gets desperate that?s worth having

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #170 on: May 21, 2022, 09:03:35 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Upon doing more research, Onyema was given an athletic scholarship. That means 1 is remaining.
    Nor sure if any high scorers are available since they are always hot commodities. I saw we did get a Chapin Walk-on in Holms. He is the other talented player that played along side KJ Lewis. Known for his defense.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #171 on: May 21, 2022, 11:25:25 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Golding's definition of "worth having" may not be high scorer.  Reading between the lines, I'm not sure he's keen on high scoring guys.  I think he'd be pretty happy if 10 guys each got 8 points.

I could be completely wrong, just basing it on some of his comments and what he's gone after.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #172 on: May 21, 2022, 11:41:56 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Correct.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #173 on: May 22, 2022, 08:52:13 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • There was a lot of action on Verbal Commits since yesterday.  Che Evans found a home.  I remember how great he was to get.  Nothing.  Did he practice with the team or even attend UTEP?  His situation made me look at last season's team as to the level of the players on the team.  From the starters, four of them left and all of them moved up.  Beinemy is turning pro, Keonte to Vandy, Boum to Xavier, TV to Northwestern, and Sibley stayed here.   So, that is kind of proof of their worthiness to have been here.  Good enough to have played at this level and moved up under the coaching.  But it is the others that I am wondering about.   I used to think they were for grades averaging.  But, no, they were here to play basketball and their entering the transfer portal showed that.  They want to play.  What I see is three ways to go.  Up the ladder to a cartel team is what the players strive for, a lateral move to get a chance to start, and moving down for the same reason is also part of the choices.  What you would ideally want to see is every player seen as moving up to a cartel team or at least seeing them move laterally to become starters.  What we see is that last year's team Had the starters, who were exactly what you want but after that what?  Well, how about lateral moves to become a starter?  None.  Four players, Saterfield, Agnew, White, and Evans moved down.  Three are still looking and down is what it looks like for them, too.

I think the story is the fact that half of the team wasn't our level of players.  So, when players are recruited it is always a crap shoot.  No one knows how well they will do, and in that particular situation, until they get on the hardwood.  There, they sift themselves into starters and backups.    The starters are good.  They are the best you have and they are looking to move up,  It is the other ten players  that should be almost as good as the starters.  Other teams at our level should be fighting for our backups, right?  But that isn't what we have here.  Four of the players have already moved down hoping to get to play and three more are still hoping they can even do that.  So, that is the part that bothers me.  We had quite a difference in talent levels between starters and bench.  Someone else can look at that and how it happened.  I'm more inclined to look at our current team and see how it stands up.

So, lets say we have to have a better tam than last year's.  Can we measure it using the same standards?  That means that all of the starters need to move up after next year.  We aren't even sure who the starters will be, but do you see four cartel level players on the team?  Then there is the rest of the team.  How many of our new players could move laterally to other teams in cusa and start?  Finally, find me seven of the players that are better than the ones that we had that had to move down.  Well, using our measurement we have to eliminate the top level, the move up to cartel level to measure our new team.  So, for us we would measure cartel players that moved down to our level to become starters.  Any of those?  Well, some of the players like Sibley had at one time been in that position.  But immediately moving down there are none from a cartel team that moved down to our level to start.  How about lateral moves?  Hardy, maybe.  McKinney maybe.  But it seems to me that the rest are all lower level players looking to move up.

I think that so many players are players who played at a lower level rather than sat at our level or higher tells us that proven players at a lower level was more important than reputation or "potential".  What will success look like besides winning games?  How many players move up at the end of the season.  Seriously, that means Givance needs to be so good he leaves to go to a cartel, and so do three others of this team or we are losing ground, right?  Or will improvement be measured in a different way.  Maybe a bunch of players develop enough to be starters laterally at other same level schools.  Yeah, right. 

It is really hard to judge a team before it has ever played a game.  Last year's team had starters good enough to play at a higher level.  But the rest of the team was pretty weak it seems.  This year's team appears to have no players that could play at the next level up or they would have been grabbed by such teams instead of us.   Will these same players be that much better at the end of next year?  All five of them?  Hell, we can't even tell who the starters are.  Last thing. What is winning?  Moving the most players up or actual winning.  What I mean is how do we and the players determine winning and success?  What if we won cusa but did it by just being a well coached team of mid level players.  Would that be better than losing cusa but putting five players up to the next level and having a bench ready to do the same every year.  Winning is winning of course, but there is the how you did it part.  Will we be a better team, with better players?  Will we be a better team with players not as good?  Will we be as good a team with better players(hard to see that, right).  All of the rest of the choices I don't even want to list. 

Final question.  Did we get better, stay the same, or get worse?

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #174 on: May 22, 2022, 11:23:47 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We'll have to wait & see if we are better, worse, or same. Very different team that was recruited this year. While defensenis a given, what we should see with this team is quickness, ball handling, & rebounding. That means turnovers & rebounding should improve. What was sacrificed to gain that is scoring. I'm good with this strategy, because what is just as important as scoring is keeping the other team from scoring. We now have back ups that can step in & not be a defensive liability.
    About the Evans kid, everyone that saw him practice said he was a major defensive liability. I wouldn't be surprised if Golding hand held him to the portal.
    KY also talked about kids held in high regard. I think McKinney is one of those kids. He had a criminal record which is why NM State picked him up. He actually was a 4☆ on ESPN. The kids that look like they will be scoring contributors is Zachery, McKinney, Sibley, & Frazier. No real shooters on the team thus far.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #175 on: May 22, 2022, 11:25:42 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The only standards that matter are W/L and postseason.  We will just have to see.  As they say, that's why they play the game.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #176 on: May 22, 2022, 01:17:08 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • More.

Looking at UTEP basketball rosters I was kind of shocked at what I found.  Looking back a few years I found so many names of players I could barely remember.  I ended up looking randomly at 2017-18's roster.  At the bottom of the list, I was surprised to find that the Head Coach was interim head coach Patterson.  Floyd had quit, but the players were his.  But it was the numbers of players that had come through that amazed me.  There were 13 players listed including Omega Harris.  The next year was Terry's first season, 2018-19.  Only 4 players were on the team from the previous team, while there were thirteen new names on the roster.  Boum, Verhoeven, and Williams were amongst this first group.  The second year of Terry's tenure, 202019-20, he kept 13 of the previous year's players and there were just four new faces.  Kennedy was one of them.  Then 020-21, the third season under Terry there were seven that were remaining from the previous season including Williams, Boum, TV, and Kennedy, and added Bienemy and Onyema and others.

Last year's 2021-22 season was Golding's first.  Nine players from Terry's team remained.  TV, Boum, Kennedy, Onyema, and Bienemy were included in them.  Four on the starting five were Terry's players, as they had been starters the season before.  There were six new players brought in by Golding.  Included were Hollins, Kalu, and Sibley.  Maring, Saterfield, and Giffa were his other three.  Hollins is gone to graduation and started some games.  Saterfield also played some and he chose to transfer to Portland State.  Kalu and Sibley are returning, and Sibley may be a starter.  Giffa and Maring are still looking for a home.  For the 2022-23 season, Golding will only have four returning players and according to my numbers eleven players are gone and ten have been replaced, leaving one.

Looking at Kalu, Sibley, and Onyema, they were all three shown as Freshmen last year.  Hamilton will also be a Sophomore, I believe.  Sumlin will be a freshman.  Zachary is a junior, I think.  Hardy, another junior, I think.  McKinney was a sophomore last season.  Givance has his last season here.  Frazier is a junior, I think.  Solomon has played three years already.  You tell me.  Junior still?  Dos Anjos, junior?

Winning is winning.  Kind of.  Beating up eight graders is winning but beating up Mike Tyson is winning too, and they aren't the same.  Beating all of the directional NM state schools is winning and beating cartel teams is winning and they aren't the same either.  We are in a conference that is fighting for survival and relevance.  We have a chance to go either way.  The conference and the teams planning on being here when the dust settles need to show an intention to play at a level at or above where the conference is now and not already looking to be a red-headed stepchild. 

« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 04:02:53 PM by kyyote »

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #177 on: May 31, 2022, 04:18:11 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Here is what we have so far.
    Class Rank Height Position Name
    Sr    2☆    5'10"    1    Shamar Givance
    Sr    2☆    6'3"      2    Tae Hardy
    Jr    3☆    6'2"      1    Malik Zachery
    Jr    2☆    6'7"      3    Calvin Solomon
    Jr    2☆    6'7"    3/4  Jonathan Dos Anjos
    Jr    2☆    6'10"    5    Derick Hamilton
    So   4☆    6'1"      2    Mario McKinney
    So   2☆    6'6"      3    Otis Frazier
    So   4☆    6'8"    3/4  Jamari Sibley
    So   2☆    6'8"    4/5  Ze'Rik Onyema
    So   2☆    6'9"      5    Kevin Kalu
    Fr    2☆    6'2"      1    Jamal Sumlin
    Fr    2☆    6'3"      2    Antwonne Holms (walk on)
    Fr    2☆    6'4"      2    Milos Merrick (walk on)

The 3 freshy's are out of HS, 3 from last year, 2 Grad Trans, & rest are transfers from D1's & JUCOs. We have 1 scholly left & I think coach is waiting for a quality player or another grad transfer.
    This class looks like an advaced version of what Golding had at ACU. This is a very gritty, blue collar, fast team. I have no doubt the guard play will be what we historically like to see. The bigs will probably hold there own. It's the 3/4 positions I am worried about. If they are mediocre, the bigs will fail. If they hustle, drive, & find the open man/hit jumpers, then the bigs will thrive. The guards will always control tempo.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #178 on: May 31, 2022, 06:16:07 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • For me, there are some basic questions and facts available.  Golding did ok last season with Terry's players.  This season we will find out how he does with his players.  This is his hand-picked team.  So, will his team be able to be better than the team Terry's players allowed him to field?  The thing is, I don't want the team to be a little better than last season's team.  The league is considered to be weak and we can't even win it.  I want us to be the every year domination kings champions.  That means that is the real question.  Is the team the kind of team a dominating king champion's kind of team?  Maybe a year away(which I would want to know why)?  That leaves the question for me pretty much a win or lose deal.  Golding's hand picked all-star team for me has to be better than Terry's and win the conference championship.  I consider that a step in the right direction.  Those are simple things.  Like, when I look at the players I may not be impressed but it isn't my job and it is Golding's job.  Simple though, they will either prove Golding is the man or not.  No excuses.  Can he make a team, that is better than what we had?  If he does, we have to deal with that.  If he doesn't we had to deal with that even more.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #179 on: June 05, 2022, 09:51:57 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Saw in Verbal Commits that 2☆ 6'3" JUCO PG Carlos Lemus from Venezuela has committed to UTEP.
    I saw some video's & he is more drive to the hoop than anything else. I didn't see much shooting or passing, but I did see great ball skills & athleticism.
    This is like the 3-4th kid we picked up that likes to drive to the hoop.
    This means the Miners are getting into:
    1) Drive & Score
    2) Drive & get Fouled
    3) Drive & Kick Out

Good teams hate scrappy teams because it throws them off their progressions.
    From just the eye test:
    GOOD
    - Gritty & Scrappy
    - VERY Fast & Quick
    - Steals, Rebounds, & Ball Handles
    - Perimeter D & transitional D
    - Fast Break Opportunities
    BAD
    - Interior D
    - Unproven Perimeter Shooting
    - Big Man Production O & D

We have our team, ladies and gentlemen. I can't wait to see these kids practice.
    « Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 12:38:14 PM by Chanson »