Author Topic: basketball  (Read 13366 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: basketball
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2022, 10:33:15 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Was at game in EP v UTSA & saw Kennedy walking without scooter a bit. He still uses it for distance, but was standing & taking steps.

I have a theory that y'all may not like. I think he should be medically red shirted for the remainder of the year. We don't have the pieces in the paint to make any post season run. Might as well save the year & come back to a fresh start with what ever support Golding brings in next year.
    Do I sound off for thinking this way?
    « Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 10:38:49 AM by Chanson »
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #91 on: January 24, 2022, 10:38:12 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Were you not able to watch?

I am paying $12/mo for access to CUSA TV, and there is no commitment term.  The day after our season ends I will cancel.

I realize this is not for everyone, but I'm pretty happy with it.
    I didn't. I heard game with 1 ear pod in & watched NFL. It was probably the best Sunday for the NFL ever. Both games were absolutely epic.
    Plus, I don't have CUSA TV & kept reading that it's poor.
    I got used to Teicher going crazy when they do well & then totally dog a player when he misses a lay up.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #92 on: January 24, 2022, 11:26:28 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don't think the quality is all that bad.  Home games are Teich by the way.  Road sometimes I sync the audio broadcast with the video so I can hear Teich.  He's a total homer, but he is actually really really good at play by play.  One of the best I've heard.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #93 on: January 24, 2022, 11:58:25 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Totally agree with Sisyphis concerning Teich. He might not be a likeable person (he's a snob) but he does know his business so for that I applaud him. He's one of the best and I'm actually surprised he hasn't been stolen by a big time name.

As for the Nfl games, WOWSERS, it has been one of the best playoff in a long time. Most of the games came down to the kicker winning it. The best one though I think was how Mahomes came back with less than a minute, (35 seconds) and they still managed to tie and win it on OT. The Chiefs are my second favorite team and now my grandson (the next Canseco) loves them too. I gave them all for lost when the Bills scored their last TD, but yeah, Mahomie came through.
    Truthfully, I had never watched a Bills game and I was surprised how good Allen was. That's the kind of QB we need (including one like Mahomes) for the Miners, one who isn't afraid of running for a first down. The one we have sucks and I'm not happy with his play. I hope we can get a good one by good I mean that Hardison is mediocre big time.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #94 on: January 24, 2022, 02:47:56 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well we just signed a 3 star.  IDK, watched his highlights and looks like he had some very good receivers.  Only difference to me is he can run.  But he throws high a lot, just like Hardison, launches prayers that would be intercepted in D1.  Not sure this is our salvation.

https://krod.com/utep-football-lands-3-star-qb-jake-mcnamara-in-2022-signing-class/

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #95 on: January 24, 2022, 03:01:46 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Was at game in EP v UTSA & saw Kennedy walking without scooter a bit. He still uses it for distance, but was standing & taking steps.

I have a theory that y'all may not like. I think he should be medically red shirted for the remainder of the year. We don't have the pieces in the paint to make any post season run. Might as well save the year & come back to a fresh start with what ever support Golding brings in next year.
    Do I sound off for thinking this way?

I think that Saterfield may have shown that he can shoot and may have taken Kennedy's spot.  But how that fits in one way or another, my question is does Golding have the chance to hit the portal using this.  It opens a whole discussion of what may or may not be right, and how that might work out in the long run.  It has gotten to be so cutthroat between players and coaches that I don't know whether to back a kid that was with us but may leave if he has a good season or say who's out there and can we get him?  One goes against everything about my love of the college game and the other says wake up old man!  This is 2022 and it is a free for all!  Winning is what counts.  The fact that you have never heard of your players means nothing.  Wins mean something.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #96 on: January 24, 2022, 04:21:56 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Kennedy is currently better than Satterfield at every aspect of the game except 3 point shooting, IMO.  If you have both, I think you use Satterfield to come off the bench and hit some shots then go back to Kennedy.  TBH, if there's someone I'm sitting in favor of Satterfield, it's Boum

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #97 on: January 24, 2022, 04:36:07 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Like I said, may. The thing I was wondering about was the chutes and ladders part.

On a completely different note I finally saw what I considered a very well educated offense except for the ability to hit the open bunnies and the paint seemed to me to have been a focus. Maybe just the opponent though.
    « Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 01:11:35 PM by kyyote »

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #98 on: January 24, 2022, 04:54:15 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Agree. Whether permanent part of the offense, or opponent specific it showed some development and a plan all of which is an improvement over CRT.  Hopefully we continue to see something that looks like an actual offense with a plan and intent.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #99 on: January 24, 2022, 05:05:51 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think Kennedy is the best player on the team. I think his D & rebounding have always been fantastic. He developed his O this year with creating his own jumpers & hitting with frequency. I think Saterfield has taken over Agnew's 6th man. Agnew was in for his D, but is careless with the ball & can't shoot. Saucy needs to hit his shots.
    I just thought that the year is not going to happen if the players don't tighten it up with open shots, layups, & rebounding. I'd love to see Kennedy here another 2yrs if he does a medical red shirt.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #100 on: January 27, 2022, 11:10:43 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Tonight will be the 1st game I miss at home. Caught a stomach bug, but that doesn't mean I won't watch. I'm gonna try CUSA TV.

So, I know I bet on FAU to win tonight, but a couple of factors may equate to a Miner win.

Let's 1st talk about the obvious.
    JB- is one of the top PG's in the country as of late. He is usually a top scorer in a game, his defense reeks havoc for smaller PGs, & he rebounds like a boss.
    Boum- is a great scorer & has been clutch to close teams out.
    Then there is Hollins & Sibley. While Hollins seemed to have reached his ceiling, Sibley has not, but lacks confidence. I know it's a work in progress, but a 4☆ usually has more of an impact at the D1 level. Once he starts get get more assertive, the confidence usually follows.
    Now for some recent positive factors.
    Verho- His injured back seems to be better. He is more aggressive & playing more minutes. He is also driving to the hole more. He will be the big difference if he continues elevating his game.
    Saterfield- his posture doesn't look pretty when he hits jumpers, but they are falling at a 50%+ rate from 3 as of late. His rebounding has also picked up.

Other than, JB, Boum, Saterfield, & Verho, Golding is looking for someone to step up. It's definitely not gonna come from Maring, White, or Clardy.
    Kalu & Onyema are still green while Saucy has no business taking jumpers. This leaves the obvious candidate to be Sibley.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #101 on: January 27, 2022, 04:20:39 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
    Saterfield- his posture doesn't look pretty when he hits jumpers, but they are falling at a 50%+ rate from 3 as of late. His rebounding has also picked up.

Know whose shot was butt-ugly?  Hardaway.  As long as they fall?

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #102 on: January 27, 2022, 09:06:37 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Wow. What a win. Miners out rebounded badly & they win off an offensive rebound & tip in. Unbelievable.
    Verho in dbl figures. That's what was needed to win like I posted earlier.
    I freakin love it.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #103 on: January 28, 2022, 04:47:15 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • For the first 10 minutes or so we saw what the offense is supposed to look like.  Also, learning how to win close ones, how to still accomplish things when someone is out, isn't scoring, etc.  Should pay off down the road this year and future years.  To me, this team may not have a better record at the end of the year than last year's, but they are so so so much more fun to watch.

Hollins looking better every game.  I had written him off.
    Verho had a really good game.
    Boum finally had an efficient game without forcing too much.
    Onyema coming along nicely.
    Need to develop our ball screens to get Satterfield open.  Him just standing in the corner didn't work, except for locking down his defender.
    Clardy playing with more confidence.
    Love Agnew's energy and heart.  Always a spark
    Would have been an easier win with Sibley.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 04:52:48 AM by SisyphusMiner »

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #104 on: January 28, 2022, 07:08:34 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Tonight will be the 1st game I miss at home. Caught a stomach bug, but that doesn't mean I won't watch. I'm gonna try CUSA TV.

You picked a bad night to get sick -- probably the most exciting home game all year. Hope you're feeling better.