Author Topic: UTEP mens basketball HC breakdown  (Read 733 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
UTEP mens basketball HC breakdown
« on: April 12, 2021, 11:18:52 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The 5 finalist I am reading about that have or will be interviewing in Dallas are:
    Tang, Golding, Jans, Patrick, & Sadler.

Tang- 18yrs at Baylor, good recruiter, defensive minded, & loyal. No history unless you want to look at his 2 State Championships in High School. Was a huge part of the championship as well as the many years of the team being the strongest TX team in the Big 12. I like this guy a lot.

Golding- We all know about his win against TX, but a blind pig will find a truffle every now & then. The guy can recruit, he has been to 2 NCAA tourneys in the last 3yrs, he knows TX very well, he is very defensive minded (like Tang), & he has proven to be an Xs & Os coach. He is young, aggressive & this is another pick I would be extatic about.

Jans- Has the winningest record of all 5 candidates. He won @ Bowling Green, but was kicked out because he was a little too touchy feely with the ladies. He won at NMSU & the only reason he didn't make NCAA tourney this year was because the state of NM shut sports down, which was damn near impossible to recover from. That being said, he still made it to the WAC championship round. He can recruit, has a proven coaching ability (unlike Terry), & wins quickly when starting a new job. The guy would kill it at UTEP. Yet another good get.

Patrick- Asst at Arkansas that has had success there. He was the HC at a smaller school for 2yrs & had no success there. He is said to be a fantastic recruiter & a great players coach. This one seems a lot like Terry, except Terry was not so much the players coach. He hasn't proven he can win right away. Because the kids like him, he might be able to keep most of our players. I actually do like this guy, however the timing may not be right. I would pass on him, but not a hard pass.

Sadler- we all know about him. He is the better Xs & Os coach on the list & has won here. However, he is well past his prime, cannot recruit, & it would most likely be his last gig since he is in his 60s. Hard pass for me.

Overall, I feel we all should be happy with Tang, Golding, & Jans. Patrick could be the next Barbee, but we would probably wait another 4yrs until we see results. I don't think Sadler will be picked, because Senter & Wilson have a history of picking coaches outside of UTEP ties.
    I'm curious to hear feedback from Y'all.
    « Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 12:13:19 PM by Chanson »
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: UTEP mens basketball HC breakdown
    « Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 02:02:38 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I pretty much agree with everything you said.

Every single person on this list would most likely be an upgrade over Terry, except maybe Sadler.

orange-oink

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 02:10:15 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The other board is in full radioactive melt down as a poster with inside connections to the athletic department posted that Sadler is the favorite to secede Terry. 

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 02:21:26 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think we may have gotten a hint and didn?t know it. Menzies said he was no longer in the group after-after interviewing fo it. To me that tells me he had first choice and declined. You have an interview and a week later you say you are going to interview five candidates. Why did Menzies get his a week ago?  Also, it seems to me that by saying he was no longer in the mix I would think it was him that said no thanks. My question is why?  I?m sure the money was good. Terry shows we weren?t being cheap skates. No, it was something else I bet. Something that would tie his hands and make things harder. If I am right others will say no thanks. Except Sadler who is just looking to cruise into retirement.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 12, 2021, 02:39:19 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The other board is in full radioactive melt down as a poster with inside connections to the athletic department posted that Sadler is the favorite to secede Terry.

If they hire Sadler I will probably check out of UTEP sports.  I was on the verge at the end of this basketball season. 

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 12, 2021, 02:44:56 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I have come to believe that it doesn?t really matter what a bunch of old die hard fans think. 

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 12, 2021, 03:58:39 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Much like politics.  Unless you have deep pockets and hand them money from time to time they really aren't interested in your opinion.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: April 12, 2021, 04:04:46 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I read other board & it is comical. Nothing is based on fact. This is a collaborative hire, especially with Wilson in Dallas with Senter. Hell, we don't even know if other candidates are a part of it. The other thing that made me laugh was reading our 2 biggest boosters said to hire Sadler & they would build a new arena. I think we all know you need to fill it 1st. We have never seen the Don packed under Terry. As a matter of a fact, Floyd couldn't either. Seats were open on his 1st night & when AZ came to town. Last coach to pack the house was Kietha.
    Anyway, I'm sending good vibes to Dallas.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 11:55:00 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I guess we are waiting for an answer on the new Head Coach today. I have to admit, I'm not getting much done at work. I work from home and am usually very disciplined, but I am at the edge of my desk chair today. I need to know we are going to be OK. If Doc is the guy, there better be high paid assistant's that recruit like a mother trucker. Yes, he can flat out coach, but he needs help getting kids. If it is the other candidates, then I can rest & pay more attention on what kids are coming & going. Normally I'm more stressed about the damn transfer portal. Lately, the coach search has me on pins & needles. 📌 🪡📍
    « Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 11:56:34 AM by Chanson »

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 12:28:35 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Hey! We're not Nebraska, man.

I'm not a SadSack fan. As soon as he had the chance he forgot all about UTEP and was out the door for more money even if it was a school not known for its basketball. I'm in agreement with Chans on the Top 5 picks and his are the same ones that I like. Jans sounds too much like Gillespie aka Joe Biden, touchy feely kind of guy. No thanks, we know how that went. Get Tang but don't empty the till to get him. Make him or whomever is picked to earn his pay and not like our previous one who didn't do Schiff.