Author Topic: Dimel still calling plays next season  (Read 738 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Dimel still calling plays next season
« on: February 24, 2021, 06:45:49 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • From krod article:  "Coach Dimel will continue to call the plays next season, but Warner will be asked to help him out, especially in third down situations"

Read More: UTEP Football to Feature Run Oriented Offense in 2021 | https://krod.com/utep-football-to-feature-run-oriented-offense-in-2021/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral"

orange-oink

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    Re: Dimel still calling plays next season
    « Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 07:09:39 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • What a fantastic way to energize your fan base.  Continue to run an offense that is in the bottom 10 in most statistical categories including points scored for the last three years.   This is your grandfathers 1950s football.  If Dimel wants to drive his program over the cliff,  he is the one that is going to be driving the car. 

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 09:17:19 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • What a fantastic way to energize your fan base.  Continue to run an offense that is in the bottom 10 in most statistical categories including points scored for the last three years.   This is your grandfathers 1950s football.  If Dimel wants to drive his program over the cliff,  he is the one that is going to be driving the car.

Nailed it. The Kugler method of losing but possession of the pigskin is winning instead of those stupid points. UTEP should hand out stop watches with season tickets for fans to be able to keep a running Talley of the time of possession.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 09:46:48 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The excitement of Dimel continuing calling plays is the same as if Kugler was returning as passing game coordinator.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 08:40:31 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It seems 2021 will be another lost year.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 08:14:41 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Given that he has recruited for this type of offense, what else are you going to do this year though?  Even if you brought in a high-flying OC and let him call the plays, could he have any success in that with this personnel?  We are kind of tied to it.  The wildcat is here for a while yet.  I suppose one could appreciate the moxie of "Hey guys, we're going to snap it directly to our RB and he is going to run straight at you.  Do your best to stop him!"  But I am not such a person.

Here's a crazy thought for the future though.  What if for Dimel's replacement we just decide to go with the highest scoring most fun offense possible?  High risk high reward, we still get killed by the big boys but we put a lot of points up and have fun.  Would it not become easier to recruit better athletes to the "skill" positions for an offense where they will really get to showcase their talent and run up their numbers?

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 26, 2021, 05:58:05 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Given that he has recruited for this type of offense, what else are you going to do this year though?  Even if you brought in a high-flying OC and let him call the plays, could he have any success in that with this personnel?  We are kind of tied to it.  The wildcat is here for a while yet.  I suppose one could appreciate the moxie of "Hey guys, we're going to snap it directly to our RB and he is going to run straight at you.  Do your best to stop him!"  But I am not such a person.

Here's a crazy thought for the future though.  What if for Dimel's replacement we just decide to go with the highest scoring most fun offense possible?  High risk high reward, we still get killed by the big boys but we put a lot of points up and have fun.  Would it not become easier to recruit better athletes to the "skill" positions for an offense where they will really get to showcase their talent and run up their numbers?

This what we had with Mike Price, I think.

lieb

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 06:17:02 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • And the defense would be atrocious. 

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 06:39:43 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Thank god we got rid of Price and started playing defense after he took the crazy offense where we actually scored points instead of winning time of possession. I loved going to games under Price. Since Price we have gone back to playing football that punishes you for being stupid enough to be there. When did we ever play defense? Under Nord?  Bailey?  Yeah we used that shut down defense to win the same number of games a year. One or two. For as long as I can remember we play no defense and no offense except for Stull and Price. Dimmel announcing we will be a running team is a warning that if you show up you will have the lamination peeled from your driver?s license and your fingernails will be cut to the bleeding quick as a reward for your masochistic desires and action. Going to watch UTEP play football is like watching Dean Smith?s four corners offense only running it when we?re behind. Tedious, boring, frustrating, maddening, and of course humiliating.
    « Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 07:02:58 AM by kyyote »

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 27, 2021, 08:27:53 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Basically, it?s final exam time for Dimel.  He has spent the last 3 years building towards this next season.  Next year?s schedule is also somewhat advantageous(particularly in the non-conference).  His contract has not been extended yet, so basically his approach is either going to work next year or it won?t and he will be done.  I am cautious of his way suddenly becoming successful(especially against conference competition), but at this point I think the continuity of continuing down the same road, letting him do it his way, and then falling on his own sword if it doesn?t work out, is probably the best option.

I expect us to be better next year, but Dimel needs to do more than just show improvement now, he needs to also show wins.
    « Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 08:30:10 AM by UTEPDefense »

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 11:05:45 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I have come to believe that wins don?t matter. The people in charge don?t give a rats ass about wins. Seriously, the two times in my life that we won were accidents. Stull was pure dumb luck. They got him at a bargain price and sonofabitch if he didn?t win. Price was an act of kindness. Coaching is a fraternity and Stull did a good thing and UTEP lucked out.
    I am so tired of thinking maybe a schedule is easy enough for UTEP to win a few games. Forty years. UTEP football is like a nightmarish slot machine that laughs at you when you actually get it to pay off a couple of quarters after playing it for hour after hour.
    What is the saying, insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.