Author Topic: tonight's game  (Read 1998 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: tonight's game
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 09:17:52 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Oh, by the way, does anyone need tickets to this weekends game?
    Didn't mean it that way. Headed to AZ to see my kid play soccer this extended weekend.
    No matter how crappy they are, going to see a bad team live is better than staying at home.
    I've got 4.

This may be the saddest thing I have ever seen written about UTEP basketball since I started school there in 1982.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 09:31:37 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I am glad for that. I wonder if they will be used. I am still forced to hunker down for now.

DougJMiner

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 11:17:04 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I was waiting for someone to challenge me on this.

But ask yourself this, how would it look different if CRT was throwing games and hoping to not get caught?  Would it not look like pulling your PG in the first half of a close game on the road against the league-leading team to play a freshman that isn't ready for D1?  Would it not look like all the other truly inexplicable substitution patterns?  Would it not look like refusing to play your freshman center when he gets a free year and all your experienced bigs are in foul trouble?  Would it not look like changing strategies from something that is working to something that isn't?  Would it not look like running off most of your players and starting from scratch every year?

If you are so incompetent you look like you are throwing games, you should forego your buyout and just resign.  Every other coach in this league would have this team at a minimum in the upper half of our division, with at least 50-50.

No coach would sabotage their life?s work by throwing games in this era. Would probably effect any regular job he tried to get after as well. It doesn?t really matter anymore, as we will be stuck with him a lot longer now.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: February 14, 2021, 08:34:34 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Bienemy seems to be regressing.  Not sure what's going on with that.

BW also appears to be regressing, but I don't think he actually is.  I think that all the other teams have just figured out his weaknesses -- can't handle double teams, poor defender, absolutely awful at defending pick and roll.

Boum has decided he just has to take over, and he is probably correct.

He and Sjolund are the only two that should be taking more than 1 or 2 three-pointers a game.  We should design plays around getting Sjolund looks and give him a green light.  Sjolunds weakness is D, and generally European weak play under the basket.

I love the energy that Kennedy and Agnew bring, especially the heart of Agnew.  But they are both a bit out of control.

Also, evidently our guys still aren't mature enough to figure out how to consistently break a press on their own.  CRT may have to break down and spend some practice time on it...

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: February 14, 2021, 11:00:00 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Will. We talk about X?s and O?s, and in game adjustments. But there is such a thing as imposing your will. Past coaches and teams had there will or game call it what you will but adjustments were made within that team identity designed to impose the teams will. Our current team seems to start with feeding Williams but teams figured out pretty quick to shut that down. So it was up to Souley to bail the team out and he has done what he can. By the way, I have come to believe that he may rate in the rarified heights of the greats at UTEP. But we don?t impose our will. We try and it is easy to stop so we almost have to go to plan b immediately. Man, I feel bad for Agnew and Kennedy. Both of them need structured offense in which to shine and not just random chaos and a prayer.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: February 14, 2021, 11:08:51 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • But it is about Xs and Os.

I think BW could score 20+ every night if we ran a decent pick and roll.  That should isolate him one on one, and he is money in one on one.  Even if the weak side covered it would open Boum or Sjolund up for a 3.  Our ball screens are so half-assed I don't know why we even bother. 

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: February 14, 2021, 11:19:30 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yeah I knew I was having a tough time saying what I mean. I don?t mean to say that it is not the x and o?s. Obviously coaches have to master that. I think it is more of his overall approach and inability to see that it is flawed, perhaps in addition to an inability to teach the X?s and O?s at that level, the adjustments and the rest. I agree that in the right environment that Williams could be scoring like Wolfram did.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: February 15, 2021, 03:28:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I like the players and I feel bad for them.  They seem to genuinely have a good team attitude and spirit, and try hard.
    There may be a lack of emotional leadership from BW, and Boum seems a bit up and down emotionally.  You would like to see some emotional leadership from the PG.

Agnew reminds me so much of Johnny Melvin and I love him.  He is probably my favorite guy on this team.  He just plays with so much moxie.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: February 28, 2021, 06:56:11 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I was unable to watch this one.  Thoughts?

Why did Williams only play 14 minutes?

Nice that Efe is back and that helps a lot inside.  Wasn't he one of the conference leading rebounders as a frosh?  Last night he was outrebounded by three guards (so was Williams).

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: February 28, 2021, 08:04:44 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Williams picked up a 2nd foul early in the first. Subs came in a played well without him. The game was blown open and Terry got several guys a lot of minutes, which IMO they desperately needed. It was a pleasant surprise seeing Efe and Tidus play so well inside, what I've been hoping to see all year. Agnew didn't have best game from statistically, but he's such a spark on the floor...really like this kid's game.

I was unable to watch this one.  Thoughts?

Why did Williams only play 14 minutes?

Nice that Efe is back and that helps a lot inside.  Wasn't he one of the conference leading rebounders as a frosh?  Last night he was outrebounded by three guards (so was Williams).

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: February 28, 2021, 01:55:06 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • ATL is pretty much right on. I was at the game & here at the one today. Miners played great defense against the Princeton offense. Today, we are scoring about the same, but the defense is struggling a bit.
    I will say that Terry has been designing plays for inbounding under or close to the basket. Where was this earlier in the year?
    Anyway, I hope to see our team compete against Kansas. We  don't stand a chance, but I'm hoping we play Kansas like we played AZ St & AZ.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: February 28, 2021, 02:07:23 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Also, Boum is on fire. Kid looks like Curry tonight. He's at 21pts with 16min left. Kid is also killing it on D.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: March 01, 2021, 06:58:10 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Announcers made an interesting comment, pretty much in passing.  They said that Terry has been trying to get Williams to roll hard to the basket after setting his pick, but he likes to flare out for the 3 instead.

I've been complaining about us not running a p&r to Williams since that would isolate him.  Maybe the problem is BW, not CRT.  I think he'd score 25 a game on anybody doing that.  One on one in the paint he's unstoppable.  He does set the most half-ass picks I've ever seen from a big, and he does tend to flare out.  When he does roll, it's a lazy roll to the side of the key instead of hard to the hoop.  All along I thought that was CRT because I've assumed BW was doing as told.

I also noticed on of the few times that Charlotte successfully ran a P&R on us, BW flared out ridiculously high on the guard and stayed there instead of covering the big.  This left Agnew trying to cover their 6-10 center and it was an easy score for them.  Another time it left Kennedy covering him, and they kicked it out to his man at the 3.

I'm really starting to wonder how much of our problems are due to BW doing his own thing.

Oh, and Onyema is a beast.  I hope Terry is constantly re-recruiting him.  When he actually learns our offense and defense he could be one of our greats.  An inbound alley oop to him would be unstoppable.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: March 01, 2021, 09:02:22 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think I only believe half of that BW story. Coaches can easily follow up with the kid to do his job.
    Also, we play well when we play teams that shoot more than drive. Kansas will have a field day against BW & Odigie in the paint.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: March 01, 2021, 11:12:29 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • 3 point shooting

Boum -- 58/142  = 40.8%

Bienemy -- 23/75 = 30.7%

Kennedy -- 15/66 = 22.7%