Author Topic: tonight's game  (Read 2002 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
tonight's game
« on: January 23, 2021, 04:57:48 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • 2Step pointed something out on the other site that I meant to mention.  La Tech got away all night long with the most egregious push-offs.  If the refs call them tonight, it's a totally different ball game.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: tonight's game
    « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 06:52:46 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Tonight's game against UTSA was terrible. We lost against a not so good team. As bad as Floyd was on O, he would never have allowed any team to score that high.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 07:58:29 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I didn't see the game, so what happened?  Did we play good D or did UTSA just suck?  I swear we are Jekyll and Hyde and you never know which is going to show up

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 10:22:20 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Thursday nights game we couldnt set up an offense & couldnt play any defense.
    Saturday nights game was the opposite. I seriously cant figure out the team & the coach.
    We have yet to develop an identity. I understand mixing up an identity is used to throw off other teams, but it doesnt make sense with our record.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 31, 2021, 11:07:02 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Thursday nights game we couldnt set up an offense & couldnt play any defense.
    Saturday nights game was the opposite. I seriously cant figure out the team & the coach.
    We have yet to develop an identity. I understand mixing up an identity is used to throw off other teams, but it doesnt make sense with our record.

I seriously cant figure out the team & the coach.

I never considered myself to know the finer points of basketball but with CRT I am just lost at what is going on and every time I think I may be getting an idea I am proven to be grabbing at smoke.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 31, 2021, 11:46:57 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So he ran something different and it worked?
    With another coach you might think he's mixing it up to figure out what works.  But you just know he's not going to do this again next game.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 31, 2021, 11:30:58 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So he ran something different and it worked?
    With another coach you might think he's mixing it up to figure out what works.  But you just know he's not going to do this again next game.
    Yes. Terry used athleticism to pound the paint, played man D & tightened up the perimeter D. Finally, something that is familiar and simple. Kennedy & Boum drove to the paint while Williams was dbl teamed. I think Terry called his old friend Couch Barnes for some tips.
    Anyway, Terry needs a different game plan for UAB. They are athletic, like to drive, & play the in & out game very well. Plus, they rebound well. If Terry can stay tight on D, may need to switch back & forth between zone & man, then we might have a shot. Plus, we will need to have a healthy mix of driving & perimeter shooting. Those guys can really defend.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 08:39:28 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I am now convinced CRT is tanking intentionally.  Before I explain, let me say that I'm not accusing him of point-shaving for money.  My theory is that he didn't realize what a clusterf*** the UTEP athletics dept is until he got here, and he wants to get bought out.

I've seen plenty of incompetent coaches.  We've seen them at UTEP.  Rabs and Kugler come to mind.

An incompetent coach only has one thing and he never adjusts because he doesn't know how.  For a long time I believed that was CRT.  But even the most incompetent coach doesn't switch strategies when he has something that's working, even if it was an accident.

If Aaron Jones gets 6 yards a carry every time he runs a sweep left, even Kug will notice that and he will run sweep left every damn play.  He doesn't suddenly decide to throw deep every down. 

But Terry had something that was working in the first half and he pulled them out of it for the second half.  they were moving the ball, penetrating, and either shooting or kicking back out and it was working.  Then he pulls them out of that in the second half and they just stand around the perimeter jacking up shots.  Nobody is that stupid.

Also, Kug wouldn't pull his starting QB in the first half with the game close to put in a freshman who is not even close to ready for D1.  But CRT pulled Bienemy and put Vuk in for 9 minutes.  We were hanging with UAB -- the leading team in the conference, and on their court -- and he pulls his star PG to put in a guy that literally does not play at D1 level for 1/4 of the game.  Again, nobody is that stupid.

He is absolutely incompetent, but I think he doesn't give a shit anymore and he's trying to throw games.  Not saying he's doing it for illegal gain, but I don't see how it would look any different if he was.

DougJMiner

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 09:33:28 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • There is no way he is tanking for a buyout. No school would hire him for this amount of money again. He?s just a bad coach.

orange-oink

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 10, 2021, 11:21:05 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Let?s give Coach Terry the benefit of the doubt and assume he is a very poor coach and is clueless when it involves Xs and Os.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 10, 2021, 01:51:19 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I was waiting for someone to challenge me on this.

But ask yourself this, how would it look different if CRT was throwing games and hoping to not get caught?  Would it not look like pulling your PG in the first half of a close game on the road against the league-leading team to play a freshman that isn't ready for D1?  Would it not look like all the other truly inexplicable substitution patterns?  Would it not look like refusing to play your freshman center when he gets a free year and all your experienced bigs are in foul trouble?  Would it not look like changing strategies from something that is working to something that isn't?  Would it not look like running off most of your players and starting from scratch every year?

If you are so incompetent you look like you are throwing games, you should forego your buyout and just resign.  Every other coach in this league would have this team at a minimum in the upper half of our division, with at least 50-50.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 08:43:48 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • You might be on to something. It's tough to think a coach would put themselves over his kids. He would go down as the shittiest coach to have walked on our floors if that is the case. He's only 52. His idea was to get to a big TX school. He might do it as an assistant, but not as HC.

Sorry for not participating in OPT, but my heart is not into it this year.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 08:45:10 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Oh, by the way, does anyone need tickets to this weekends game?
    I've got 4.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 08:53:44 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Oh, by the way, does anyone need tickets to this weekends game?
    I've got 4.

This may be the saddest thing I have ever seen written about UTEP basketball since I started school there in 1982.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 09:14:00 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • During the Hardaway era you could have scalped them.  Now I don't know if there would be any takers.