Author Topic: coaching assessment -- football and basketball  (Read 415 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
coaching assessment -- football and basketball
« on: December 31, 2020, 11:01:39 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm just a bit bored waiting for the USM games.  I was thinking about the coaches today and thought I really need to take it back to its most basic.

To me, there are 3 tangible things a coach in college can bring to the table, and a couple intangibles.
    Tangibles -- recruiting, player development, game management (this is the whole package -- preparation, gametime Xs and Os, substititutions, timeouts, etc).
    Intangibles -- discipline, winning mindset

Terry
       1.  Recruiting --  B-    He has brought in quality transfers, but I think the only freshmen still with the team are this year's crop?  Will they be here next year?  Onyema looks like he may become a good player.  Not sold on Vuk.
       2.  Player development --  B-  .  I have to give credit in that Williams, Boum, and Verhoeven are all improved during their time here.  Vila, Efe, not so much. 
       3.  game management.   D-    Pretty bad.  Terry has an offense and a defense and we will play those regardless of what the other team does, hoping we have better athletes that can impose their will.  If not working, we substitute manically hoping to find the magic formula.  Apparently incapable of adjusting on either side of the ball.
      4.  Intangibles -- I.   Last year was an F.  This year looking pretty OK so far.  Wait and see how things go.  Issues with keeping players -- hard to know what to think about that.  maybe last year's team needed to be blown up.

Dimel
        1.  Recruiting. -- C.  He has a couple all-conference players.  Most of the rest may not belong in D1.  Still can't find a QB to run his offense
        2.  Player Development -- D- (maybe F).  Has any single player gotten better during their tenure under Dimel here?
        3.  Game management --   F-  This may be the worse game managment I have ever seen, game in and game out, in every single aspect of the game.  Can I give worse than an F?
        4.  Intangibles.   --  C-.   This year's team showed improvement in mindset.  They really didn't just give up at any point.  Still serious questions about team attitude generally.

Shockingly, as bad as he is, I think we are marginally better than under Kugler.   Question -- If you put Hankins on Kugs team, and you put Aaron Jones on Dimel's team, which team wins more games than they acutally did?  We would be 6-2 this year.  I think Kug is 2-3 fewer wins in every year.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    Re: coaching assessment -- football and basketball
    « Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 12:50:58 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Next year is Dimel's last chance.  He has put some potential pieces in place, but the biggest issue with Dimel is that there is just very little margin for error with his style and scheme.  Due to his style, if we get a holding penalty then the drive is essentially over, if we fall behind by 10 points then the game is essentially over.  We might battle to the end, but we are not getting over that 10 point hump.  It's like if we take 4 steps and 3 of the steps are forward, but just 1 step is back, then Dimel's team is going to have a hard time being successful.  But if other teams take 4 steps, and 2 of the steps are forward and 2 of the steps are back, then they still have at least a 50/50 chance to beat us.  I don't know how much talent improvement/experience is going to be able to overcome the little margin of error that Dimel's system requires in order for his team to be successful.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: coaching assessment -- football and basketball
    « Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 05:25:54 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Terry has put together enough pieces to have created a bit of a monster. Souly is come out to play taking pressure off of Williams and Verhoeven is ready to play like a real big man!  A solid core like that can cause serious damage. Add to it others finding their way and I think we have a good chance in Cusa.
    Dimmel  convinced me that he could easily win three games this year. And it will almost be like a real year.