Author Topic: Here Is A Stat From Kugler's Runnig Team and Personally Coached Offensive Line  (Read 1139 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • that you will never see anywhere else from any other team who brags about their expertise being running the football.

From the UTEP site;

Rice        UTEP
    Rushing Total (Net)
    306         26
    Attempts
    49           24
    Avg. Per Rush
    6.2         1.1
    Rushing TDs
    3             1
    Yds. Gained
    317        68
    Yds. Lost
    11          42

EMA884

• Prospector
      • View Profile
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • In listening to Walter Dawn take questions after the game I thought it was interesting when he said something like, "I am just trying to stay true to Coach Kugler's plan of running north and south."  To me he seemed a bit annoyed/frustrated while he uttered those words.  I remember last week during the OU game they showed on the TV broadcast Kugler getting in Dawn's face and yelling at him for cutting it back outside on a run, the play resulting in a holding penalty.  You know, when the number one running back gets 9 carries for a lousy 24 yards against Rice, maybe he does need to be bouncing outside a bit more rather than running it up the middle through non-existent holes.  Like why doesn't Kugler let these guys open it up just a bit and play more to their strengths?  And that is HIS offensive line that is not creating holes and letting the quarterback get sacked (and ultimately hurt). 
    And then listening to Kugler after a game is irritating as well.  He understandably looks and acts upset with his pouting, rubbing of his face, getting visually upset by the questions being asked of him, and yet he offers no new solutions game after game, year after year.  How many times have we heard this coach say, "This one is on me; I take responsibility for this one."  While I appreciate him trying to take up the burden for his team's terrible performances, there comes a point where it is obvious he simply doesn't have the answer.  Frankly he is not the man for this job, for whatever reason.  He may be a great position coach but that is likely all.  As a diehard UTEP football fan I am not going to say that I quit on this team, or refuse to watch another down this year, etc.  But, it seems like there is little hope with this coach running the show.  I also love how everyone said the same line after the game, that we got "out-physicalled."  Didn't coach Kugler preach heavily on smash-mouth football and hard-nosed running and all that good stuff?  Out-physicalled (i.e. man-handled) by Rice, give me a break.  I'll be in town this Friday for the Arizona game, so we'll see how "physical" and "smash-mouth" they can be this week. 

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • For year 1, Kugler got a pass due to his shaking up the roster, new coach, etc. His team was competitive in the 1st half of that season but when the QB was injured, no longer competitive. 2-10. Bad but still gets a pass.

For year 2, Kugler's team was 7-5 in the regular season and I remember watching the hard fought win in the last game vs MT. Lost in the bowl game but still, UTEP actually had a winning season and a bowl trip! Extended contract for Kugler and Stull should have waited on that.

For year 3, too many injuries to key players and the Miners stumbled to 5-7. Even at that the Miners played LT very close and missed a late field goal that would have given the Miners a 6-6 record and bowl trip. Kugler got a pass due to the injuries. I remember that after the season Kugler said that all those injured starters would be back, UTEP would be tough and he wouldn't want to be a team that had to face the Miners next year.

For year 4, UTEP played horrible vs Army and got blown out. 4-8 record was totally unexpected since UTEP returned a lot of starters and was picked by most experts to at least make a bowl game. No pass for Kugler but he already had his extension.

For year 5, UTEP has lost it's star RB to the NFL but returns what is supposed to be the best O-line in C-USA (according to Phil Steele). Solid QB, solid O-line but no passing game to speak of and now no running game.

Thank goodness there will be a new AD soon. That person better arrive with a solid list of potential replacements for Kugler and the ability to raise $500,000 quickly to buy out Kugler's contract. In hind sight, Stull should never have hired a head FB coach with no head coaching experience. At least a successful FCS coach should have been hired.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • My turn: Kuglar stated very matter of factly that if he didn't produce after 4 years that he, yes he, would personally bow out as coach. Well, guess what, it's year 5 and he still sucks. But do you think he'll keep his word? Nah, I'd say he loves the big bucks he's getting for not producing squat. He will have to be fired and as a politician, er coach, he was lying to us. He ain't better than the politicians we keep voting into office. It takes a special person to keep his word, so far Kugs ain't special.

Now, the vaunted O Line. We heard all throughout spring training that the O line was going to be special. Ha, what a joke, and I ain't laughing. The Miners O Line was pushed around by the bullies from that intellectual school Rice. Who woulda thunk it.

All in all the Miners will be hard pressed to win even ONE game much less going to a bowl. I may eat my words but I truly, truly doubt it. The Miners are bad, really bad. They can't play offense nor defense. We are sunk.

I'll still go to the games and ONLY because I made the mistake of believing the lies and bought season tickets. If Kugs is still here next year I'm keeping my money.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • How can an O-line, no matter how good, defend against eleven players.  Every damn player knows he's running between the tackles.  If this stat isn't a clarion call to open up the playbook nothing is.  Kug should be relieved of HC duties immediately.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • How can an O-line, no matter how good, defend against eleven players.  Every damn player knows he's running between the tackles.  If this stat isn't a clarion call to open up the playbook nothing is.  Kug should be relieved of HC duties immediately.

Bloomquists article in the EP Times nailed it very well. The idea that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Kugler's picture should be next to that definition in the dictionary.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sports/2017/09/10/miners-look-lost-amid-rubble-rice-debacle-bret-bloomquist-column/651203001/

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • "UTEP's entire offense looks to be built around the premise that creativity, trying to keep the defense off balance, is a sign of lack of character, that real men just run over people." 

That's it.  Basic hard headed stupidity.  It has been his hallmark..