Author Topic: Offensive line  (Read 303 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Offensive line
« on: September 24, 2020, 06:52:40 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I have been trying to not be negative but there are many things I don't understand and one of those things is the offensive line. I don't understand how it is that a NFL Offensive line coach couldn't put together a line that can block. Maybe nothing else but you would think our line would be pretty special. Instead it can't get a yard in three downs. I used to blame it on Kuglers hard headed play calling but Dimel can't do any better. I'm like asking how would you explain a quarterback guru having a qb that couldn't pass or run. I could understand if the team wasn't good but how can the o line after years of building be so bad?
    « Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 12:30:10 PM by kyyote »

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Offensive line
    « Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 10:32:52 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • No, I totally agree.  It's just weird.  I mean I can understand if they are just bad athletes.  But how can FCS schools have better athletes on the O line?   Was Kug that awful at identifying and recruiting guys that could play the line? Presumably the upperclassmen are still his guys.

It seems like it has to be bad technique.  Because they aren't awful at protecting the QB.  But how could Kug have not taught them any technique?  He's supposed to be all that in the pro ranks.

Has Canales somehow undone whatever technique they learned?   How can they get literally no push on the line ever?  I don't know that I've ever seen a line this bad at run blocking.  I realize that we tend to telegraph plays, but are we somehow telegraphing every time it's a run?  Maybe the defenses have figure out if they show X, Dimel will change the play to a run every time?

This wouldn't surprise me.  I thought it couldn't get any worse than bringing back Patrick Higgins -- the OC that got Nord fired through his incompetence.  I never understood why Kug and Stull that that was a good idea.  But Dimel just might be a worse play caller.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 12:02:09 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I honestly think Dimel is too soft. When Price got here, he knew we didnt have a great line, so he did a lot of play action. Dimel wants old school run the ball with new school fundamentals.
    I'm afraid this weekend will not be fun for any of us.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 12:14:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• UTEP is a very long way from having the kind of athletes where you can just come in and dominate the game with your physicality.  You have to be wide open and unpredictable.

Honestly, Price had the right idea I think, and it worked very well with Eric.  Aaron was just too sold out on the big play, and we were in some ways just as predictable.  Predictability is the kiss of death when you don't have substantially better athletes than the other guy.

BTW, I guarantee that now that Dimel has taken a voluntary pay cut we will show loyalty to him through the duration of his contract.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 12:46:44 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• UTEP is a very long way from having the kind of athletes where you can just come in and dominate the game with your physicality.  You have to be wide open and unpredictable.

Honestly, Price had the right idea I think, and it worked very well with Eric.  Aaron was just too sold out on the big play, and we were in some ways just as predictable.  Predictability is the kiss of death when you don't have substantially better athletes than the other guy.

BTW, I guarantee that now that Dimel has taken a voluntary pay cut we will show loyalty to him through the duration of his contract.
    .                                   Why do FCS schools have linemen that beat us on both sides of the line?  Why do FCS schools always look like the better teams. Even if you told me that the FCS players are pretty good you would think that ours were recruited by experts who's living depends on it could have an even chance but we always fail. I loved Prices offense and the whole idea of it but Dimel should be able to make it his by now and yet the names have changed but the results have been the same.  And you just ruined my day with that last part.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 02:51:47 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It's the lithium in the water?  Mellows out their mean streak and makes them pussycats?