Author Topic: Rice game  (Read 398 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Rice game
« on: January 24, 2020, 06:44:16 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • With the exception of our continued horrendous 3 pt shooting, we executed the Terry offense very well.  Less than 10 turnovers.  Obviously we failed to get the ball to Williams, but Rice had made the decision to deny him the ball and make the rest of the team beat them and they did.  We actually looked pretty good, and on the road no less.

Edwards was off from 3.  He's normally very reliable, and I have no problem with him continuing to shoot.  Boum shot well.  He is gradually becoming more reliable.
    Hawkins, Edwards, and Boum were willing to penetrate at times, which paid off.

Vila was decent, interior defense still pretty weak, but he's the only guy that tries for offensive rebounds consistently.
    Archie needs to calm down.
    Lathon and Stroud need to quit shooting from the outside.  Both can penetrate and shoot layups, floaters, and mid-range.
    Verhoeven put in quality minutes.

For those who don't know, apparently Efe missed the team bus and wasn't there.  It's not clear to me if they have made arrangements for him to be at UNT.

I hate that this offense has no plan B.  The plan is to pass around the perimeter and look for Williams or an open 3.  If neither happens by 8 seconds left, either penetrate or jack up a contested 3.  There is no plan B to get Williams open if other teams deny him.  There is no plan for what to do if 3s aren't falling.  At the same time, I have to admit if we were shooting anything like an acceptable 3 point percentage we would probably have 3-4 losses instead of 8 and our offense would look like genius.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Rice game
    « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 08:34:36 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Sis, I like your post.  But, I would have to ask if the team was NOT trying to get the ball to Williams on purpose, and that is why the offense looked better.  I saw times when Williams was wide open and they just didn't go to him.  Plus, because he wasn't on the floor for long periods the offense seemed to be more balanced and the players more into the game.  I really enjoyed watching this game and that isn't always the case.  Of course, I have to ruin it by reminding myself that it was Rice, a bad team we battled and played well against.  Will we come back down to Earth in Denton?

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 10:01:55 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Will we come back down to Earth in Denton?

Most likely, unless Boum and Edwards both get hot the same game.

I will be at the game in Denton with Mrs Sisyphus, and Sisyphus Jr.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 10:16:36 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Excellent!  The Miners can't lose with your family in the stands cheering them on!

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 12:18:09 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• For those who don't know, apparently Efe missed the team bus and wasn't there.  It's not clear to me if they have made arrangements for him to be at UNT.

I would not do that.  Look - he missed the bus and UTEP won their first road game!  Surely this cannot be a coincidence!  UTEP needs to make sure the guy continues to miss the team bus for the away games.  It is our only hope.

lieb

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 02:19:59 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I mean, what are the odds?