Author Topic: Lathon back on team  (Read 1186 times)

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Lathon back on team
« on: January 06, 2020, 07:45:42 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • What a roller coaster ride the last couple of weeks. I'm glad to have him back.

https://krod.com/utep-starting-guard-jordan-lathon-rejoins-the-team-after-entering-the-transfer-portal/

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Lathon back on team
    « Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 08:43:34 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Really strange.  Now are Hawkins and Stroud upset again?  Honestly they should still get more PT than they did previously.  We have lots of guys that can contribute on a given night and few that do consistently.  Also, with the intense D, legs get tired which affects outside shots.  You have to sub players in and out a whole lot more than Terry does in big games.  And when someone gets a hot hand, you ride them for that game.  Against FIU when Stroud was scoring, you give him the bulk of the minutes.  If Boum hits a couple 3s you ride him.  If Efe comes in and scores 10 in 10 minutes you ride him until he goes cold.  Most players have no problem sitting if someone else has a hot hand as long as they know they will get the PT when they have the hot hand.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 10:04:13 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Just weird. I have no clue WTF is going on. That being said,
    Lathon
    Hawkins
    Archie
    Odigie
    Williams
    would be a great starting line up. Stroud, Edwards & Boum (in that order) rotating at the 1-3, while Tarke, Verhoeven, & Vila (in that order) rotating for the 4 & 5.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 05:01:27 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Only issue I have with your lineup is Edwards is our top 3 pt shooter and has been all season.  Of course he also turns it over a lot.
    It may be that Hawkins would score better out of the 2 spot.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 10:09:26 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I thought about the Edwards thing as well & even though he also is a great defender, he makes a lot of mistakes for an experienced player & that bothers the Hell out of me.
    I wish Terry would substitute like Barbee used to. If a kid made a major mistake (ie- step out of bounds, throw away the ball, etc) or a 2 minor mistake (ie- miss an open shot, miss an assignment, etc) then he would pull them immediately. That helped minimize mistakes & get the kids more focused.
    Barbee would bring them back in 3-5 min later because he needed to replace the next kid who screwed up.
    What Terry does is yell at the kids & get upset. Let's just say that tactic has yet to work with this club.
    We are better than OK at defending and good not allowing the fast break. We are horrible at rebounding. Terry depends on individual effort for that and not board crashing. I think that's a huge mistake. The only think I liked about Floyd is using junk defense which is switch up every other defensive posession. Terry should use a page from that book and mix up board crashing & fast break defense.
    Also, we are probably the worst team in the history of the Miners with caughing up the ball. This is a discipline thing and is all on Terry & other coaches. If a kid loses focus, pull his ass out & let him think about it while someone else gets the opportunity to prove themselves.
    I really think Terry needs some kind of plan for these issues or the year will get away from him & it could be another losing season. Believe me, no big program wants a 50+ year coach that has a hard time winning in an inferior conference.
    « Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 10:12:26 AM by Chanson »
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 07:26:32 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Oh my gosh.  The other site just posted a video of an interview with Hawkins.  All is well until they ask if it's good that Lathon is back on the team.  Hawkins facial expressions and body language spoke volumes.  This is not good.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 12:09:59 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • All that matters is getting minutes. At least in hope it's a minutes thing. If it's more than that, then that is a problem.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 12:59:30 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This team is getting worst than a day time soap opera. I'm ready to give up on it too. If they continue their losing ways then I'll hang it up until I see improvements in coaching decisions, and/or wins.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 06:37:29 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Sisy, I saw the video & he did change moods, but it doesnt really mean a bad thing. I hope. Lathon had a traumatic experience with his family & he could be reacting to Lathons pain.
    I realize there is tension  among teammates, but mostly there is a deep brotherhood.
    I hope that's the case.
    Glad sports is back in the 915 today.
    « Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 06:39:31 PM by Chanson »

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 06:50:30 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Tarke is out tonight. I hope that means more playing time for Stroud & Odigie.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 07:18:59 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Williams, Odigie, Archie, Edward's, & Hawkins start. Archie driving well & killing it on D.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 08:14:26 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Southern Miss ahead 42-38 14min left. When you have a hard time with this team, you know the season will be long. Ugh.
    I'm going to hit up a few girls games.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 08:44:09 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • 2.5 min left & Miners under control. Our FT% is above 90%. Not bad.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 08:45:04 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Also, Lathon not very many minutes. He is not doing well.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 08:55:14 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Boum played like he should.  Tonight we finally had more than Williams as a scoring threat.  There may be a chance if he can do it more than once in a while.  Great win and I hope Terry stops pulling him off of the floor when he is scoring.