Author Topic: Ass whippin' courtesy of Houston  (Read 1124 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Ass whippin' courtesy of Houston
« on: December 20, 2019, 08:54:17 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well...
    Let me start off by saying it's exactly what we needed. I listened up until 70-49 & then I had enough. I'm actually not upset & I don't think many of us are, because we knew who we were playing against & Sampson has had a good team for a few years now. The Miners are at the level Sampson was his 2nd year with Houston.
    Williams- our best player since Vince Hunter, except Williams' is better.
    Boum- really coming into his own. I love his motor. He lost it w/the technical, but a good lesson.
    Lathon- needed to step up & didn't.
    Edwards- get worse with every game. Kid is close to losing the starting spot.
    Hawkins- making less mistakes & plays good D. Needs a lot more work on his jumper.
    Archie- still trying to find himself.
    Stroud- why are we not playing him more? Defense?
    Tarke toughest player we have, but still not productive.
    Vila- needs to not shoot & play strong in the paint.
    Efe- good footwork on offense, but needs to play better D.
    Verho- love his athleticism & defense. Must work on post moves & shooting.
    Overall- we got out hustled, out muscled, & our defense was exposed. When a team gets spanked, it also means the coaches didnt prepare & this game is on them.

Teams need to lose these kind of games, because it points out the obvious. What is the obvious you ask? Lack of ball security, lack of hustle, failure to rebound, & a weakness to score.
    We have been beating smaller teams with these deficiencies and now that we have faced a superior team, it was exposed for all coaches & fans to see. The big question is, what is Terry going to do about it? I hope he holds the kids accountable & gives less playing time to those not playing to a higher standard.

"He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Ass whippin' courtesy of Houston
    « Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 09:41:35 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I was watching the game by way of the live stats play by play.  We had pulled to within 5 points when Boum got the technical foul.  That seemed to be when we just crumbled.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 09:52:44 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I was watching the game by way of the live stats play by play.  We had pulled to within 5 points when Boum got the technical foul.  That seemed to be when we just crumbled.
    We pulled from behind in the 1st half as well, but it seems they couldnt get over the hump. Same with the 2nd half. UTEP was not playing good defense & Houston capitalized on 2nd chance rebounds.
    We cant play from behind against a team like that, because we get gassed which leads to bonehead playing.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 12:45:44 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm gonna be the homer here. I think that if the Miners had not played two games in a row and then flown to Houston we would have played a better game. Hey, players get gassed too and I think that was their downfall. Maybe flying to Hawaii will be a big negative too. It's a LOOOOONNNNG way to Hawai'i and personally I don't even know why we made it a state, what minerals does it have that we can use. Unlike Alaska which is abundant with natural resources the only thing it does is harbor a state full of Hillary supporters. LOL

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 02:01:00 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The material Hawai'i has makes way more money than most states. It's also the same commodity Mexico uses to generate tons of $$. Tourism.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 02:04:23 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I only saw the 2nd half.  I agree with Chanson.

Someone needs to teach Efe the phrases "drop step", "fadeaway", and "dunk".

I feel like part of what happened is that we haven't faced a team with anywhere near the athleticism of Houston, and the refs called a completely different game than anything we've seen.  This is the problem with scheduling all home games, and so many cupcakes.  Given how many new pieces we have I understand this year, but we would be better next year to schedule a more aggressive pre-conference schedule.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 20, 2019, 02:20:04 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I agree, maybe a good Ass-Kicking is what this team needed. It should be a wake up call that the NM Highlands and Eastern NMs cupcakes on the schedule are over. The progress of the offense of this team has been sluggish, to say the least. Going into this year, I thought our depth would be a strength, but so far it hasn't come to fruition.

Hawkins, for the most part, I thought played a solid game and was aggressive off the bench. Problem is, we need others like Vila and Odigie to be consistently productive as well. Edwards and Lathon, as starters, more has to be expected from them as well...too many dumb mistakes. Teams are going to key on Williams until some others start consistently performing. Up until the 7.50 min mark of the game in the 2nd half, I was pleased how they kept fighting back despite not playing particularly well. But when Boum cut the lead to 5 at this point, then got the technical, it really just took the fight out of them. It was as if the whole team were kicked in nuts.

I hope they're embarrassed and come back against Hawaii pissed off and aggressive offensively.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 20, 2019, 09:08:02 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The material Hawai'i has makes way more money than most states. It's also the same commodity Mexico uses to generate tons of $$. Tourism.

Exactly, and a lot of places in the world also has what Hawai'i has and we're not granting them statehood. Beautiful places all exist in the Caribbean and the Pacific and yet they aren't states, right? Tourism is even part of many states source of money and they also have natural resources that we use. Hawai'i, not so much. So tourism provides nothing to the rest of the country, only to Hawai'i.

Do you understand what I'm trying to say here?

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 06:02:04 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Mojo, Hawaii is a great military base and early defense base giving us the ability to reach much further across the Pacific Ocean to Asia.  As is Guam.  I know you are going to bring up the attack on Peal Harbor but lessons were learned, alarms have been set, and it could have been Treasure Island in San Francisco Bay.  So the military value is enough to justify it.  The grass skirts were there for the seamen.  The tourism brings in bucks from the taxes.  And they like Spam.  Its a win win for mainland US.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 09:31:08 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • In addition to the tourism benefit, they also supply the mainland with pineapple, sugar cane, nursery products, macadamia nuts, coffee and commercial fishing product. But this is secondary to the military importance of having this strategic naval outpost in the Pacific.

Minermojo

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 01:42:09 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • You mentioned Guam, where my brother was stationed working on B-52s. We should make that a state too, right?

Sorry, but you have your opinion and I have mine and neither one will admit who's wrong.  :P

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 07:25:11 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Wrong again.  I'll admit you're wrong.  lol

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 08:24:33 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So I was looking @ Digs & just damn. The Trolls are super bitchy. Anyway, I read some opinions that Williams & Terry will be gone. While that can happen, it is very unlikely.
    Williams is good, but will have to go D league 1st. I think we all have seen the chances of most D leaguers have. Terry & Williams are a lot smarter than to take a chance like that.
    In regards to Terry, he hasn't done anything to get looks from any big school & no way is the guy going to leave Texas for a mid major position. It took Barbee 4yrs to build & that is about the going time frame for a big paying program to see consistency.
    What I'm more worried about is guard development & picking up a good big man after Williams graduates.