Author Topic: Is it me or...  (Read 1359 times)

Miners1

• Prospector
    • View Profile
Is it me or...
« on: December 03, 2019, 09:11:49 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • UTEP is gonna live by the 3 and die by the 3 this year. Play a good defensive player instead of a scorer and go with an 8 or 9 man rotation when they are 15 deep? Just can't help to wonder who's gonna want to transfer at seasons end...

Alaska Miner

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    Re: Is it me or...
    « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 09:19:11 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yup.  I said the same thing after the UNM game.  This wasn't even as bad as it was that night... But, it is truly frustrating to see them not even TRY to work it in under the basket...
    I don't get it.
    Let's go Brandon!

Miners1

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 09:25:38 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The way I see it. I'm still in CTF mental set. Go for the high percentage shots (layups, jumpers) work the 3s later. I guess we are gonna have to get used to this new offensive way of thinking. But if only we had a couple of guys that can make those 3s instead of one. Who knows...

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 09:27:05 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Like I said, we don't have  a sniper.

Miners1

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 09:40:21 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • That's my point exactly. But yet. Let's force those 3s. Oh well. Hope they don't play like my Cowboys. So much talent yet so little understanding on what to do with it.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 09:54:43 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We lost because Vila has 0 skills for defending the paint. He was absolutely terrible.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Miners1

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 10:07:42 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • And Boum penetrating and not having a clue what to do with the ball other than a forced lay up that won't go in. I think he should of been benched and taken our chances with Tarke

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 04:34:47 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We lost because Vila has 0 skills for defending the paint. He was absolutely terrible.

This.  He wasn't just awful defending the paint.  He was awful defending the perimeter and awful with the ball in his hands.

Kaden Archie was a disaster the few minutes he was in.

Boum is too good defensively to bench.  But he is about 1 for a gajillion on 3 pointers.  Meanwhile he is 100% on the season for free throws.

Williams was incredible, unstoppable.

I agree with most of the comments here.  This is the first time I have questioned CRTs coaching.

At this point, I would say our defense will win us some games we shouldn't, and our offense will lose us some games we shouldn't.  Our offense is not right, and hasn't been for several games.  Unless we figure this out, this season will be a season that shows improvement, but not a top tier mid-major.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 04, 2019, 04:47:35 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I’m going to make this comment not having seen the game:

Based on the small sample of comments in this thread, UTEP didn’t play very well. And yet we only lost by 3 on the road to a very good team??

lieb

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 04, 2019, 06:08:14 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • we played very well defensively, except for Vila, which kept us in the game.  I am not sure how good NMSU is right now -- I don't think I'd characterize them as very good.  They are still missing some players.  I am not sure the team we played in both games is top tier mid-major, until they get their players back.  But even depleted probably better than all but 2 or 3 CUSA teams.

That said, if we can get our offense in gear, we would have beat them handily.  Our defense will keep us in every game.  I wouldn't rule out wins against anybody including Washington and Houston.
    I'm just saying temper expectations until we get our offense figured out.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 04, 2019, 06:22:51 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I was just watching the Live Stats, but the thing that stuck out to me was the NMSU offensive rebounds and to a lesser extent rebounding in general.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: December 04, 2019, 10:40:14 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Vila is just getting too much PT, wish some of those minutes were going to Tarke who is more capable at scoring and rebounding. Puzzled why he isn't getting more time, must not be showing well in practice or is a defensive liability in Terry's mind is my best guess. Big fan of CRT's recruiting, attitude with the team but his in-game management and use of his bench hasn't shown to be his strong traits. In my opinion.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 12:32:53 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I’m going to make this comment not having seen the game:

Based on the small sample of comments in this thread, UTEP didn’t play very well. And yet we only lost by 3 on the road to a very good team??

lieb
    If anything Lieb, you should watch it to see Bryson Williams play. He couldnt be stopped on both ends of the court. Hell, he it a few 3s & all his FTs for God sake.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Miners1

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: December 04, 2019, 04:56:50 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Does anyone know when and where the next CRT show is gonna be? I wanna go and ask some questions... 

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 12:22:27 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Does anyone know when and where the next CRT show is gonna be? I wanna go and ask some questions...

Wednesday December 11 – Hilton Garden Inn

All shows air from 7–8 p.m. on 600 ESPN El Paso

https://utepminers.com/news/2019/10/9/mens-basketball-utep-basketball-with-kevin-baker-and-rodney-terry-radio-show-to-debut-tonight.aspx