Author Topic: ENMU game thoughts  (Read 364 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
ENMU game thoughts
« on: November 16, 2019, 06:23:53 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Overall our starting five did not play well.  Mainly two guys didn't play well, and it caused problems.  Sw some nice minutes from the bench, and it was encouraging.

Defensively we played quite well overall and that was the difference in the game.

Williams and Lathon had games that are consistent with what I expect from them and the minutes they played.

Boum is Boum.  He kind of reminds me of a freshman Omega Harris.  Has speed and skills and is playing borderline out of control at all times.  He would really benefit from slowing it down a bit if he can.  Both physically and mentally.  Great players never appear to be in a hurry.  Had a decent game. Still needs to quit picking up his dribble for no evident reason.

Edwards I thought had an off night.  It wasn't so much bad as passive.

Vila was pretty bad.  He had a couple really nice plays, and his stat line doesn't look too bad, but he was out of sync all night.  His defense was surprisingly bad, and caused others to have to rotate to cover which left other guys open.

So I think the starters overall were not so horrible individually, but there was no flow.  I have said Vila is the glue and so far I am sticking with that.  When your SG is passive and your 4 is having a bad game you are going to struggle offensively.

Now for the backups.

Efe was really trying to force things offensively that just weren't there.  I saw one time he went like one on three while Williams was all alone at the 3 point line calling for the ball.  Let the game come to you.

Hawkins was Hawkins.  He isn't going to come off the bench and win games for you, but he isn't going to lose them for you.

Verhoeven I thought had some very nice minutes in spite of what looks like a quiet stat line.  I am increasingly comfortable with him getting time as the situation calls for.

Stroud had a very nice game.  He could start stealing minutes from Boum if he continues to develop.

Tarke also had a very nice game.  Like Verhoeven I thought his actual contribution exceeded his stat line.  He probably earned some more minutes.  His 6 rebounds during the time he played was huge.

Coach Terry -- I actually came away from a poorly played sloppy game quite impressed with him. I really liked what he did with his substitutions and using this as an educational opportunity.  I am guessing here that he told his starters he was planning to give the bench a lot of minutes and if that contributed to their overall flat performance.

Takeaways -- We are really deep.  Need a solid plan for when individual starters are having an off night, and I think that's what last night was about from Terry's perspective.

Obviously pretty significant dropoff after Lathon at point.  Just need him to stay out of foul trouble. 
    Plenty of depth at center.

Presumably when Archie becomes available he displaces Boum and adds some stability there.  At that point you give Boum and Stroud some minutes if Edwards or Archie is struggling and just try to find the hot hand. 

If Vila is having an off night, you could maybe put in Efe at center and move Williams out to the 4.  He can shoot the three, but not sure about the rest of his game facing the basket.  Drive the lane and pass?  Not sure.  When Archie becomes available you may be able to rotate him to that spot.  Maybe Tarke.  I think this is the burning question that has to be answered, and maybe Terry figured something out.

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    Re: ENMU game thoughts
    « Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 08:00:32 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Thanks, Sisyphsus 8)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 09:17:53 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Thx Sisy. I couldn't go to the game last night, but also figured it was a good one to miss.
    You said the defense was good. How was the defense from Stroud? I ask because this is the 1 kid that I expect big things from since he signed with UTEP when CRT just started.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 09:51:52 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Honestly I didn't notice specifically, which makes me think it wasn't too bad. 

Our bench still held them to 22 points at half so overall it was pretty decent as a team, which I felt at the time.  With all the subs in I was trying to watch too many things at once.

I did buy the cusa.tv subscription and the games are archived so I will go back and watch later and see.

I think there's going to be a bit of a challenge between Boum and Stroud for minutes as the season progresses.  I haven't seen enough of Stroud to give more than a first impression, but he struck me as more poised but still learning the system

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 12:14:54 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Thx Sisy.
    I think we all have 1 kid that we all look at from the beginning  and want to see great things from them, because of something we saw in that kids athleticism. Hunter & Culpeper were some that didnt disappoint that I had my eye on. Ruppel & Portalatin were my disappointments.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 08:24:29 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Watching more closely, Stroud and Tarke both need to improve defense.  Both were playing with defensive intensity, neither took a play off, but I think they just need more experience.

Stroud got beat on the dribble a couple of times, and got blindsided by the pick a couple times.  When his player doesn't have the ball he was sagging off like he should, but was late to realize when his player was making a cut.  I'm not saying his defense was bad, but I think this is probably what's been limiting his playing time, because offensively I would rather have him than Boum out there.  A better opponent would be able to take advantage of him.  IMO, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with his defense, he just needs to adjust to the speed of college ball and get a better sixth sense about things.

Tarke probably got beat worse, but oh my gosh is he quick and athletic.  He was able to recover so quickly that it didn't matter.  He was Mr. Hustle in that game.  His motor never stopped running.  He will be oK too.

I'll bet neither one of them played man to man the way Terry wants it played until they came here.  it's not in the face of the man you're defending, it's sagging off to help clog the middle.  The defender has to watch the ball handler and his man at the same time.  I think it just takes experience.