Author Topic: WHOA... Bob Stull to retire today.  (Read 2303 times)

Colominer

• 2014 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Assayer
    • View Profile

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: WHOA... Bob Stull to retire today.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 09:52:41 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The ball is rolling. Let's just make sure it roles in the right direction.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Koolarrow

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 09:59:41 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The ball is rolling. Let's just make sure it roles in the right direction.

exactly!!!!! I just think that UTEP needed a change in its AD for some time now. I just hope Dr Natalicio is not tight with opening up her wallet so we can have a good AD to replace Stull.

MinerMaestro

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 10:48:28 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • He left us some less than desirable parting gifts; years of mediocrity ahead: CSK - extended thru 2020 and CTF - impossible buy-out

Ack!

"My centre is giving way, my right is retreating, situation excellent, I am attacking."
    - Gen Ferdinand Foch

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 01:45:35 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So he's gone. Let's not kick the guy while he is out.

I think we all are grateful to the positive stuff he has done for UTEP. He has put forth the effort in improving the UTEP facilities to be the best in the conference. He brought us Keitha Adams and Mike Price. He started the movement to improve the box seats/media facility. It will get done, but he won't be here to see it. There are a number of employees he has developed that have become amazing talents for there current schools. The dude took the job, because he loved El Paso and UTEP. I hope his replacement has that same love.
    In a time for a need for new blood and new direction, he has recognized it and has stepped down. He could have asked for an extension, but he decided not to. That in itself is commendable.

I would love to be on the committee for the new AD search. Most of the names that have been thrown out there are pretty good. Who ever takes the position will not only have big boots to fill, but will need to lift themselves up by those boot straps and hit the ground running. UTEP and the city of El Paso really want to be a relevant force in athletics again.

Go Miners
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 02:15:09 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • What names are being kicked around?  Maybe we can get Mack back after Baylor get the death penalty (j/k of course)

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 04:14:23 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Brian Wickstrom, Lisa Campos, Jeramiah Dickey, Justin Moore, Chris Park, & Mario Moccia. I even saw Mike Price in there. I think someone was throwing crap to the wall when I saw Mike Price. Anyway, the 6 up top are not bad. Each brings youth and hard work to a program that needs it. My vote would go with those who know the area and the 6 up top know El Paso.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 05:30:53 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Indeed he did do good stuff for UTEP facilities, he was just crappy in picking coaches and let them stay way too long. I'm glad personally that he's leaving. Like the coaches he picked he's stayed here too long too.

As for the names that Chans has mentioned the only one that I think would do a good job would be Wickstrom. I know 3 of those, Campos, Wickstrom, and Moccia. The rest I don't. I haven't a clue how good Lisa and especially Moccia would be. At least Moccia has AD experience. Is Lisa the AD at NAU? Moccia has ties to Enemas U. so I wonder how hard he would work for an Aggie nemesis.

Let's get an assistant from Boise St. If a trucking school like them can do wonders in a rinky dink town like Boise how much better could a person with experience there do here.
    « Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:36:35 PM by Minermojo »

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 08:25:12 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Since Wickstrom just signed 2 weeks ago with Incarnate Word I doubt he's coming.  He wouldn't have signed there if he thought he was coming here.

So what are the characteristics of a good AD?
    Ability to raise money
    Make good hires
    Raise money
    have a vision for the future
    Raise money

anything else?
    « Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:28:26 PM by SisyphusMiner »

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 09:35:49 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • There is an up and coming guy who was already here at UTEP.  He is at the University of Pacific in Stockton, California.  His name is Chris Lynn and he is the Associate Athletic Director there.  We worked with him and the Miner Athletic Clun fundraising efforts.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 12:55:36 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So you are going to only hear this at the Den unless some meat head grabs this info and posts it on another site or wants to talk about it on their radio show.

Stull is leaving quickly, because his wife is battling cancer. This is her 4th bout at battling cancer and while I mentioned she is always visiting family, Stull wants to be at her side for this one. I knew there was more to the story, but this is not what I wanted to here.

I know we all have theories about the negatives on Stull, but I think we all need to recognize a lot of the great things he did for this University and should reach out to thank him for the love he put into this school and town. Nothing but love from me goes out to that family.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 01:02:01 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm sorry to hear that about his wife or for anyone for that matter. My prayers will be with him and his family that she recovers again.

FarWestTexas

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 05:40:47 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • That would explain him being extra emotional at the presser.  God bless his wife and their family.
    Fuck Cancer!