Author Topic: Dana Dimel Talks to Media After UTSA and Before FIU  (Read 315 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Dana Dimel Talks to Media After UTSA and Before FIU
« on: October 17, 2019, 08:46:31 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• Recapping the UTSA game and eliminating mistakes:

"In the loss, I felt like we could have had a lot better execution. I talked about that with what we were doing on both sides of the football and our special teams. That's the point that in order to win the games that are on the west of our schedule, we just have to execute at a higher level with what we are doing and prepare at a higher level. Eliminate mistakes. Eliminate penalties. That is going to be very important for us moving forward as well. I have been very, very pleased with the way the guys are playing and the type of effort they are putting in, how much they care, and I like the mentality of our football team."

"I think we realize that this season is going to be marked on what kind of improvement we make each and every Saturday. The league kind of presents itself that way. You really don't know what you are going to get. I thought in the games that were played this weekend, there were surprises for people and I can say there were surprises for me a little bit learning more about each and every team. There were some games that were maybe surprises to other people that were not a surprise to me. Just because we played Southern Miss, I feel like Southern Miss is a really, really good football team. I felt that they probably might be the best team in the league. I think they kind of showed that Saturday. I gained a lot from that game when we played Southern Miss. I thought the two early mistakes we made gave them a 14-0 spot and after that I thought we played them toe to toe against one of the best teams in the league. I gained a lot of confidence of our football team from that game. We came back and had our opportunity against UTSA and felt like we just didn't play as well as we could have played in that game. That is kind of my viewpoint of where we are after our first two conference games. That takes us into this game."

On facing FIU on the road this week:

"FIU is a team that has a lot of speed on offense and defense. They are a really athletic team that had a good season last year and started off this year with some struggles early. Now, I think they have caught a little bit of momentum and rhythm to what they are doing. Their quarterback has a lot of experience and a very strong arm. They have very good talent in three running back positions. All three of those guys are very good players for them. I think they do a nice job of using their talent-set on offense. They are very, very sound defensive football team that lines up and plays fast, aggressive and does some good things on defense. It will be a definite challenge for us."

On UTEP's red zone efficiency:

"One big thing that we have to do is just have more success on both sides of the football, obviously, to get a win, but also to put the ball in the end zone and score some points offensively with what we are doing. We have to finish drives better and get touchdowns when we are in the red zone. We broke our red zone streak of scoring each and every time we are in the red zone by the penalties that hurt us in last week's ball game when we had a chance to get down there close. We had those two big penalties in the game against UTSA, which broke our streak of red zone efficiency."

On focusing on the positives:

"To me, that is the big gist of us right now is to continue to look at what we are doing positively, look at the effort we are putting out there and improve on scoring more points. On defense, we have to create turnovers. We have to create some big plays on special teams. We need some defensive and special teams touchdowns. I challenged the team with that last week about how important that is going to be for us to do that. We just have to continue to build on the things we are doing positively, which is playing extremely hard, and for the most part, playing some good defense at times. We are going to get tested by FIU in the run game. They ran the ball for 350 yards on Charlotte and had a really good game plan to do so. That is going to be our first thing in this ball game is to stop the run game defensively, then eliminate penalties and score points on offense."

On the plan for quarterback moving forward:

"We are still addressing it moving through this week. We had the open week. Kai (Locksley) was sick again last week with the flu and missed Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday's workouts. He came back for Thursday's workouts. He seems to be feeling better now, so that puts the evaluation process into a little better setup for us. Right now, I wouldn't be able to answer who is going to start the game. I like those two guys competing against each other to see who is going to start. We need to improve our play at that position and the only way to improve is competition. That will help them to improve, so I like the competition they have with each other. They both just need to elevate their game and there are things that both of them can do much better and I think they will. I think there is definite room for improvement from them, and again, our season is going to be marked on the improvement that those guys can make as well."

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Dana Dimel Talks to Media After UTSA and Before FIU
    « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 03:41:45 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Wow.  Google generic coach talk.  Copy, paste. Done.

Responsiblity?  Other people.  Whose fault is not getting plays in on time?  Whose fault is calling crappy plays?  Whose fault is O line not knowing their assignments on pass plays?  Whose fault is the inability to do the single most important thing— pick your best QB and play him?

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 05:25:55 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Wow.  Google generic coach talk.  Copy, paste. Done.

Responsiblity?  Other people.  Whose fault is not getting plays in on time?  Whose fault is calling crappy plays?  Whose fault is O line not knowing their assignments on pass plays?  Whose fault is the inability to do the single most important thing— pick your best QB and play him?

Might I play Dimel.

Responsibility? Well, I would have to start with Sean Kugler and Bob Stull, and a general culture of acceptance of mediocre talent.  Then there is the lack of support from the people of El Paso.  They haven't bought into what we are trying to build here and of course there is the lack of funding made worse by the lack of fan support.  Then, there are the mistakes and penalties committed at critical times by the holdover players from the Kugler era.  My players are redshirting.  As for getting the plays in on time, I have to say that the players I inherited are having trouble learning the new system and there are so many changes to the terminology and sets and formations, that the Kugler players have a tendency to have trouble executing on time.  Poor execution of what we are trying to do is where most of our problems originate, and that is largely due to the holdover Kugler players.  Mine are redshirting, you know that, right.  I am saving all of my players for a grand change and the roll out of the completely new all rebuilt 2020 Miners.  This year we are finishing up with Kugler's players and biting the bullet.  Next year is going to be special.  New colors for the uniforms and everything.  I may see if I can redshirt Kai Locksley or get a hardship waiver or something so that he can get a 5th year here at the helm.  We are all about redemption, don't you know.
    As far as the crappy plays, well that would be mostly the Kugler running backs confusing our quarterbacks when they are figuring out the run or pass part of the option.  That has a lot to do with the Kugler linemen missing blocking assignments.  Mine-redshirts, right?

The o-line is all Kugler's fault.  Do I even have to say it?  Too small, too slow, too weak, they all break, and although they are going to class they do have trouble understanding what it is we are trying to do with the execution of the offense.  Next year is going to be so special, though.  I might even get Kai back.  Sometimes he is sick or hung over and I can't know that until the game is about 3 quarters over.  Sometimes he isn't even sick.  Sometimes he is having trouble with dropped passes and tipped balls.  But he competes every week.  He and that other kid.  What's his name.  Oh yeah.  Brent-oh, Brandon Jones.  He and Kai, whooo boy, they compete all week and I just can't decide who is the better competitor until the 4th quarter sometimes.

Next year is going be big, though.  Huge! I tell you.  And there will be ticket packages to tailor to your individual wishes and needs.  Big, I say.  Next year.  If we don't win three-no! four games, you won't have to tell me where the door is.  I'll fire someone, by Golly!
    « Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 05:38:06 PM by kyyote »

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 11:23:48 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • That was a total winner Ky. I wish I could send it to Dimly.