Author Topic: coaching question  (Read 284 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
coaching question
« on: September 20, 2019, 12:24:16 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • If we accept the premise that our O-line and D-line talent levels are mid FCS level, how much can be overcome with coaching?  If a subpar lineman learns technique and knows the schemes, etc, can the lines perform at a significantly higher level than their basic athleticism?  Are there blocking schemes, or pass rush schemes that can overcome a significant talent differential?

My gut says yes, and yet Kug was supposed to be able to teach those very things.  And our lines sucked.  Now we have a new coaching staff in their second year and our lines suck.  Could we be performing better with better position coaching, or is this as good as it gets with the raw material they have to work with?

See, I feel like our QBs have surely had position coaches trying to teach them proper form, how to not stare down a receiver, go through the checks, etc., and I think the QBs are just as good as they are capable of getting.

If that is also the case with the lines then any rebuild is going to be very slow.  But I feel like we ought to be able to get more out of what we have on the lines, at least the O line.  My sense is that a lot of O line play comes down to fundamentals.  I suspect a lot of D line play comes down to quickness and strength -- harder to coach up, but being in the right place to plug holes still counts for something.