Author Topic: grades vs Tech  (Read 403 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
grades vs Tech
« on: September 08, 2019, 06:49:55 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Offense
       Line --  F-   There have to be high schools in Texas with better lines
       RB   --  Incomplete.  I think average first contact was 3 yards behind the line
       QB  --  D    Neither one is any good.  The only reason for not an F is the crappy line and no INTs
       WR --   D    Too many dropped passes, routes too short for 1st downs

Defense
        Collectively a B.  They fought hard, occasionally pressured the QB and generally didn't get totally owned considering how much time they spent on the field and how many plays were run against them.  Got an INT.

On the one hand i have given up on our starting QBs and would like to see Goodwin.  On the other hand, we will probably see him in the final games of the season anyway because our starters will get hurt.

Prognosis -- If our D can continue to play with fire, our offense may not hurt us bad enough to prevent us having a chance against Charlotte, NMSU, FIU, and Rice.  We shouldn't feel confident about ANY game, and may well be on our way to a 1 win season, but those teams may be as bad and if we catch them on a bad week we might have a chance.

Colominer

• 2014 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    Re: grades vs Tech
    « Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 08:31:39 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  •  We've been seeing decent defense from UTEP going back to the Kugler era, coupled with horrendous offense. How many 3-and-outs did UTEP force last night?

If the Miners had any kind of offensive production last night the defense was good enough to make it a game. And it was certainly a huge improvement over the HBU game.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 05:36:39 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It like the nightmare just re-runs itself.  Did someone miss last season.  It is the two that led us to a 1 win season last year and with that behind us they are back to trading the helm of the ship again.  Lockley is so good that no other quarterback on the team-not one of the other 5 quarterbacks can see any action.  No.  Go with Locksley.  He is the man!  A stud!  I ask again if any other coach could get more from the same people.  How is it that the offensive line can still be worse than any high school line in town?  HOW IN THE FUCK CAN THAT HAVE HAPPENED!  It just doesn't make any sense at all.   It doesn't even make UTEP Football sense!

Oh, Go Miners!

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 07:15:15 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Calm down KY, calm down, remember your heart. I know how you feel but I also know that for some reason our of how many high school in the nation UTEP can't find one that can throw a pass. I know it's frustrating, I'm frustrated too. I would venture to say that Castaneda from Eastwood has a better arm and better running skills than this two we call QBs but aren't.

Take a chill pill my friend, you are loved here.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 08:38:53 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Totally agree.  If this is the best we've got it will not be a quick turnaround.  I am wondering if we need to put the QBs in motion every pass play.  At least it lets Kai (if he is the man now) use his feet, and buy a little time.  On the other hand, Kai throwing a pass on the run is a terrifying thought.

BTW, we were very lucky the pick 6 was called back.  That DB read the play from the minute we stepped up to the line.  We can't be so obvious.

I think the D coaches bought themselves a bit of leeway this last game, but the O coaches should already be nervous.