Author Topic: UTEP FB 2019---- optimistic or not  (Read 1265 times)

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
    • View Profile
UTEP FB 2019---- optimistic or not
« on: July 17, 2019, 07:20:13 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It is so easy to be pessimistic when it comes to UTEP FB because, well there are too many reasons to list. But I hate being pessimistic before the first snap of the season. So, I'm going to find some reasons to be at least cautiously optimistic until we see how the season unfolds.

One reason for optimism is the o-line. We have a number of returning players that would have started last year but for injuries. Newcomers were thrown into the fire in this vital position last year and gained valuable experience. The odds that we see that many injuries again have to be low so I'm expecting a stronger, deeper 0-line which will improve the offense a good deal.

Secondly, the rb position should be strong with Wadley, Hughes and Hankins.

Thirdly, we have some speed and quickness at receiver, especially Foster, Wolf, Busey and Garrett.

Fourthly (not sure that's a word) the defense reportedly has good speed and good newcomers via the jc route and some young ones coming up. The d-line is expected to be better.

That's enough to make me optimistic until something god awful happens like losing to HBU. That would destroy the season and could be the end of the Dimel era.  Phil Steele said in his mag that UTEP could actually be favored in 4 or 5 games this year. If the Miners actually win that many I would say that Dimel is well on his way to turning the program around.
    « Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 07:05:08 AM by MinerInWisconsin »

stanman505

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    Re: UTEP FB 2019---- optimistic or not
    « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 08:32:42 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I do think the football team will win at least 5 games and if other teams have the injury bad luck we had last year then the team could win 6-7.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 07:07:19 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm optimistic that these kids will try there very best. I'm optimistic the coaches will do the same. However, statistics show we will fail. I am a man to side with data and statistics and am disappointed I'm right. I guess pessimism helps us except failure. That's why we go there.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 06:19:00 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • MIW, thank you for a positive view, with supporting facts in which to believe.  For someone who almost dangerously would see the would through orange colored glasses, although the last few seasons have shaken me, and I must admit that it did make me crazy and I don't know that I am over it, yet, your post gives me hope again.  Perhaps if we aren't in the duck and cover position we will mount an offense.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 07:21:50 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • After 54 years of being a Miner fan, I am beyond being optimistic or even pessimistic.  The season will start; the season will end.  Beyond that, I have no expectations.

Which is, of course, pathetic.

lieb

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 07:00:00 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Is thinking a 4 win season is possible the optimistic viewpoint?  That's pathetic.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 03:13:39 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Is thinking a 4 win season is possible the optimistic viewpoint?  That's pathetic.

Pathetic? Yes. But progress over the last couple of years.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 05:00:13 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

Yeah, but I’m out-patheticing you, Sis.  So, eat death with habanero sauce, okay?

(Uh, it is time for us to starting turning on each other, isn’t it?  Or am I supposed to wait until August?)

lieb

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 07:09:21 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Nothing says apathy like being to far gone to even attack each other.  I would love to but am leary of fucking with anyone right now.  I'd hate to get my ass kicked by some little 2nd grader girl.  lol

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 09:47:48 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We are about three weeks late to turn on each other you putrid pack of weasels.

Austintacious

• The Den's Official Prediction Thread Wizzard 2015 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
    • Patience Jackass Patience
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 09:20:29 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Media picks UTEP to finish last in C-USA West.  Instead of being optimistic and then hitting rock bottom, maybe we'll start rock bottom and finish higher.  Hoping! 8)

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 11:25:15 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Media picks UTEP to finish last in C-USA West.  Instead of being optimistic and then hitting rock bottom, maybe we'll start rock bottom and finish higher.  Hoping! 8)
    We are at rock bottom and cant get any lower, however, lingering around  the rocks is not cool.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 12:37:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • My days of being an optimist are looooonnnnngggg gone. I am not pessimistic either because one can never know how good or bad we are before the season even starts. As it is said, "that's why they play the game" I'll go into every game hoping that we will win and if we lose that we didn't lose because we sucked but that the other team was better. I'll take close games to routs anytime, at least it gives us hope.

So let me finish by saying, GOOOOOO MMMINNNERRRS!

I'm a UTEP fan and can never go against our team.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 02:55:02 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Optimistic or not, football is starting & word around the water cooler is football is under the gun to produce. Our new president has not been on campus yet, but has made herself very clear. One of the biggest concerns among staff & faculty is the football's team inability to win a game.

EMA884

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 08:09:43 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • When you say under the gun to produce, in what ways specifically? Is Dimel under pressure even in his second year? I’d imagine his OC would be the first one gone if this offense is as anemic as they were last season.