Author Topic: Some Movement on Grad Transfer  (Read 1121 times)

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Some Movement on Grad Transfer
« on: April 23, 2019, 10:26:05 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Apparently visiting UTEP this week. Supposed to be a good shooter, coming off an injury year. Granted extra year of eligibility, I believe.

Jon Rothstein
    ‏Verified account @JonRothstein
    1h1 hour ago

LSU grad transfer Daryl Edwards tells he's currently visiting UTEP and recently visited Fresno State. Immediately eligible. Former Nevada commit.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Some Movement on Grad Transfer
    « Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 09:38:55 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I saw a bit of film on the kid & he can flat out shoot the ball. The kids problem is he can't jump, but his speed & shooting ability make up for it.
    We need this kid.
    Did a bit more research and a few things to note on Daryl Edwards. He is a 6'4" SG with 1 year of eligibility left because of a medical red shirt. He is from Fresno & went the route of JUCO (same school Eric Vila came from) before landing the LSU gig. He didnt play much last much last year because of foot injury. He opened up his last year & was picked up by Nevada in which he left after the head coach took another job. Fresno St. & UTEP are in the hunt for the guy. Looking at the odds; we have a 50/50 shot in picking the kid up. The kid averaged 37% from the 3 and it will only go up in a lesser league.
    Again, I hope we get him.
    « Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 11:02:37 AM by Chanson »
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 01:14:23 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • And...he chooses Fresno St.

Wah...waah.

Patrick Chalvire
    ‏Verified account @PatrickKFOX14
    4m4 minutes ago

LSU grad transfer Daryl Edwards says he has committed to Fresno State.

Edwards had UTEP on his short list of teams.

#KFOX14Sports.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 02:42:57 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Damn. I guess the kid wanted to play in front of family. He would have done great here. I think he might have went that way because Fresno St had a great season last year & ours was shit.
    Looking at it that way, I would have made the same decision.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 06:31:18 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Really hope one of the new guys can shoot the 3.  That's the single biggest thing that could make or break this team IMO. 

To me, 35% from 3 is a minimum acceptable number for a SG, and we had two guys that barely made that -- Lathon and Gilyard at 35.5% and 35%.  Granted they are underclassmen and age and experience and a better surrounding cast would probably bring those numbers up.  But the point is, today's game requires guys to be able to hit the 3.

For comparison, Texas Tech had 4 players on the roster that shot 3s better than our best shooter.  Three that were 40% or better.

Every single team in our conference had at least one 3 point shooter better than our best (15 or more minutes per game).  It's tough to win when you are that outmanned in an important skill.  If you look at the number of players that shot 33% or better it's even more depressing.

ODU  --   3 players shot 3pt % better than our best player
    MARS --  4 players
    USM  --   4
    WKU  --  4
    UTSA  --  2
    FIU    --   2
    UAB   --   2
    LT      --   4
    UNT  --   3
    FAU    --  4
    Rice   --  3
    MTSU -- 3
    Char  --  1

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 07:14:09 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I agree with you completely.  It drove me nuts last year that we couldn't hit threes.  It is completely key to opening up the inside game.  Just imagine what a beast Odigie would be with the inside opened up.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 12:10:55 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We are all on the same page with how the 3 ball opens up everything else on offense. We don't have to have THE BEST 3 point shooter. We need a high IQ shooter in my opinion. 45% shooters usually have issue with losing the ball, defense, ball skills, passing, etc. Terry just needs a 38-40% guy who has skills to be a more complete player to compliment the talent of the team. Lesser teams than UTEP pick kids up like that every year, but we have had a history (Floyd Era) in not knowing how to pick these kids up.
    CUSA is full of these type of players and we are dead last in picking them up.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 11:08:08 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Evan Gilyard going to NMSU. OMG. Has that ever happened in the history of UTEP?
    The good thing is I will be able to continue to see the kid play, but just damn.

stanman505

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 06:42:01 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • He chose that school to spit UTEP and CRT. Fuck him. Even Benedict Arnold Gilyard

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 01:02:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I dont think he has anything against the school. More so he wants to stay away from bad areas in Chicago. I wish him all success, except when he is playing my Miners.

In addition, we are f...ing loaded & I'd rather see Stroud & Hawkins at the 2 instead of Gilyard, cuz he ain't no PG. I also heard we may have a PG grad transfer coming from USC. Great back up for Lathon.
    « Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 02:06:25 PM by Chanson »

ATL-Miner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 07:10:44 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • If we get Derryck Thornton Jr, that would be a great get. He did announce he was transferring today. Former 5 star with a wealth of experience at the PG, played 26 min a game for Duke as Freshman. Not the 3pt whiz I think some of us were looking for, shot only 28.6% from the 3 last year but started 27 games. Not sure why he didn't excel more at USC, but may be looking for a system change. I hope we get him.

Gilyard going to NMSU was quite a shock,  I heard UNM was also after him too. But I'd rather have Thornton with the make up this year's roster as a true PG.

I dont think he has anything against the school. More so he wants to stay away from bad areas in Chicago. I wish him all success, except when he is playing my Miners.

In addition, we are f...ing loaded & I'd rather see Stroud & Hawkins at the 2 instead of Gilyard, cuz he ain't no PG. I also heard we may have a PG grad transfer coming from USC. Great back up for Lathon.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 04:51:26 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Wow. It is really dead out there. Not sure if any of y'all are into NBA, but 3 out of 4 game 7's in Semi's.

ATL-Miner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 07:08:51 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • These 7 game series in the NBA playoffs are a burnout. Hate how the playoffs drag on so long and think it's taken away from the excitement of what the playoffs once were. Can't seem to get into it until the finals.

Wow. It is really dead out there. Not sure if any of y'all are into NBA, but 3 out of 4 game 7's in Semi's.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 07:14:32 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • These 7 game series in the NBA playoffs are a burnout. Hate how the playoffs drag on so long and think it's taken away from the excitement of what the playoffs once were. Can't seem to get into it until the finals.

Wow. It is really dead out there. Not sure if any of y'all are into NBA, but 3 out of 4 game 7's in Semi's.

I haven't been able to get into the NBA for years.  It's not basketball as such, it's a sort of extended basketball highlight reel.  To me, other professional sports have maintained more of their core essence than the NBA.  They've altered it too much in an (evidently successful) attempt to appeal to the populace at large.  Imagine soccer if you removed offsides and had a shot clock.  Or baseball if you only allowed fastballs.  It would be higher scoring, and for this casual fan of those sports more interesting to watch, but it's not the same sport at that point.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 12:44:56 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm with you guys in how the sport has changed. There is more emphasis on individual play and super star athletes than the actual mechanics of the game. With that being said, change is always inevitable. This sticking with old school bull crap is thankfully dying out. People are bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter than when the game started. When the 3 point line was introduced, old farts said the same thing about the game you are saying about possession time. We must accomodate for athletic advancement. Does it bring more $$, thankfully that is a big yes.

Refs allowing to be more physical, time of possession, and isolation plays for super stars is needed to accommodate the insurgence of superior athletes.
    The issue I have is this 2 1/2 or more steps being allowed to create separation and refs being allowed to be soft on walking in the NBA.

I understand teams and athletes pushing the envelope on gray area issues to gain an advantage. Some examples of that are; Harding shuffling his feet to find separation, Draymond Greene teetering on technicals, Chris Paul treating a whisper like a bear swiped his head, etc.

Obviously I'm asking everyone to think a little outside the box. After all, 10 years ago a shot between the 3 line and half court was considered a Hail Mary. Now It's a strategy that wins championships.

Go Miners
    « Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 12:46:40 PM by Chanson »