Author Topic: Conference Tourney Chances  (Read 752 times)

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Conference Tourney Chances
« on: January 22, 2019, 06:07:23 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Anyone holding out hope that we reach the Conference Tourney? Looking at the schedule, these next two against ODU and Charlotte appear to be must win games. And winning 6 out of the last 8 maybe gives us a shot, IMO. I'm disappointed we haven't gained momentum as the season has progressed although some individuals are showing bright promise for the future.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Conference Tourney Chances
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 07:49:29 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I have been completely confused on this team.  The potential seemed to have so much potential.lol  Instead the flaws seemed to become more apparent as play continued. This season has been like watching a giant 4th of July rocket that was lit, the fuse burned bright, but when it got to the rocket it just sat there and fizzed and smoked, rattled a little in its bottle, and by now we know it can't have enough powder left to launch.  We are just waiting to see if it can even get off of the ground or pop loudly-something!

Anyone want to talk about this year as it relates to next year?

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 11:36:39 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I am confused as well. Our talent level is really good, however it seems the kids can't quite Gel. Plus, we are very thin on the support. We have only 5 kids who get most of the playing time and one of those players shouldn't be starting.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 02:07:05 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I have been completely confused on this team.  The potential seemed to have so much potential.lol  Instead the flaws seemed to become more apparent as play continued. This season has been like watching a giant 4th of July rocket that was lit, the fuse burned bright, but when it got to the rocket it just sat there and fizzed and smoked, rattled a little in its bottle, and by now we know it can't have enough powder left to launch.  We are just waiting to see if it can even get off of the ground or pop loudly-something!

Anyone want to talk about this year as it relates to next year?

Yeah, but how many times can we count that we thought a firecracker fizzled out and pick it up only to have it pop in our hands. Ouchers! Let's hope the team is like that, just waiting.

liebestraum

• 2017 Preseason Prediction Pick Challenge Champion
    • Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 03:39:11 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don't care about next year.  I've been next-yeared to death with UTEP FB and BB.

It may be this team isn't winning, but I don't sense the despair of the Floyd years.  I can live with that.

lieb
    « Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 04:16:16 PM by liebestraum »

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 09:18:39 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I am confused as well. Our talent level is really good, however it seems the kids can't quite Gel. Plus, we are very thin on the support. We have only 5 kids who get most of the playing time and one of those players shouldn't be starting.

This is very similar to something i have been meaning to post.  We have 4 players that can play with anyone in the country (see Marquette) as long as no one is having an off night, and until they get tired.  And they are freshmen and sophomores.

We really don't have a 5th that isn't a net negative.  This is just insufficient.  How can a team gel when there is always one player on the court that's hurting more than helping?

Add 2-3 more that can make a meaningful contribution and all of a sudden we are at or near the top of CUSA.  On a given night odds are someone is going to be having an off game and others need to pick up the slack.  That just can't happen with 4 guys.  But with 7-8, now it's a different story.

stanman505

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 06:38:54 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The reason there was some optimism was because people thought the talent mixed with the returning players would be good enough in CUSA. The problem is that two of the three returning players have not contributed much and some would say nothing at all. Paul Thomas didn't transfer because he was going to be a senior, was only average at best, and will graduate with his degree this year. He does not seem to get what CRT wants him to do, or he is just unwilling to do it. That is why he was benched in favor of a walk on. IMO, I think CRT need to keep Paul on the bench period. Kobe has not hurt the team like Paul has but he hasn't done anything to elevate his level of play. I have no doubt in my mind that Kobe will transfer after the season. Another problem has been the development of Kaosi. He does not seem to get what CRT wants out of him on the offensive end. He is only in his 5th year of playing basketball but I had much higher hopes for him, although I have heard that he is working hard. So with only 8 players capable of playing meaningful minutes we are already in a bad spot, and with three of the eight not contributing much at all then it is easy to understand the problem. I do want to remind everyone that we have had leads against just about everyone we have played, but it is very unrealistic to expect a team with only FIVE players contributing productive minutes, to win many games. This year is very much like BCG's first year and we all remember what the team did in his second year. The beauty of this situation is that we do not have to hope for some big time recruits to come in next year like with did with year two under BCG, those guys are already all campus and have been beating the crap out of the team that has been playing games. I know it is hard to trust the process when we keep losing but CRT is building something special.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 09:39:41 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Hell of a post, Stan. While I too hate the "next year" bull crap, for the 1st time we can all see the missing pieces coming in next year. While the football team is relying on hoping to land some missing pieces, basketball already has theirs.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 10:32:21 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yep.  Helluva post, Stan.  It put things in the proper perspective.  I haven't been disappointed so much as left wondering.  You have left me with my usual view of Miners basketball-good, with the potential of being great!   ;D

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 07:19:22 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• "I've been next-yeared to death with UTEP FB and BB."

This quote is right where I'm at. This is my last 'next year' and have some much higher expectations for the future. But I do like what is see in the style of play, types of players Terry has brought in, and like the atmosphere so much better than Floyd's. Seems more positive and a greater sincerity towards the best interests of the players from the coaches. I'd bet we don't have the volume of turnover we had in the Floyd years.

Now we just need to win and start some positive momentum.

I don't care about next year.  I've been next-yeared to death with UTEP FB and BB.

It may be this team isn't winning, but I don't sense the despair of the Floyd years.  I can live with that.

lieb

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 08:24:33 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • We still can't gel. Even if we do go to cusa tourney, we are not going to be all that.

ATL-Miner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 09:00:24 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Really blew the ending tonight in the last two possessions. A McGee airball and failing to get a shot off with 7.9 seconds left to tie. Ugly game statistically, shooting only 25.9% from the field. Gutsy comeback from a double digit deficit but still a loss.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 09:12:41 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Defense was pretty good as well as Odigie.