SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Lathon
« on: January 07, 2019, 08:54:55 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Anyone heard anything about Lathon's injury and probable return date?

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Lathon
    « Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 07:36:14 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • To answer my own question, it appears Lathon is probable for Thursday's game.  We need him.
    http://krod.com/miners-primed-to-regroup-after-0-2-c-usa-start/

In the article, Terry specifically mentions rebounds.  In my opinion, this is a mentality problem, not a physical one.  Rebounding is at least 80% desire.  in the game at UTSA, most of our guys didn't even attempt to rebound, let alone block out.  They literally turned around and started heading the other direction under the assumption that the shot would either be made or the other team would just get the board.  Odigie by contrast views every ball as his.

This is laziness that is tolerated too much at prep levels along with lazy defense.  The thing these young guys need to learn is that it doesn't matter if you're UTEP or Duke, there will be games where shots aren't falling and the offense isn't clicking.  But defense and rebounding can and should be constant game to game, because they are mostly about effort.  And those can be the difference maker when things aren't clicking, and are the things that put your foot on the throat of the other team when things are clicking.

If Terry can get them into that blue-collar mentality to go with the skills and athleticism they have, we could be very good in 2-3 years.  We have four young players right now that can play with anyone.  Odigie, Lathon, Gilyard, and Hawkins.  If any of the other players develop, plus the addition of the guys coming in next year, and add in the right work ethic, look out CUSA!

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 06:58:14 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Nice to have Lathon back in the line-up tonight. He was sorely missed the last two games. Somewhat optimistic if we can hang through the first half.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 10, 2019, 11:24:10 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • He and Odigie are the best players on the team, IMHO.
    Lathon may not be a scorer, but his hustle on defense is outstanding. The reason I didnt put Gilyard as top player is because of his defense & his inconsistency with ball control & shooting.
    « Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:14:56 AM by Chanson »
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 07:35:12 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • If Hawkins can ever get his 3 to start dropping, he will be a force to be reckoned with.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 08:45:12 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • If Hawkins can ever get his 3 to start dropping, he will be a force to be reckoned with.
    He herd you by hitting 24 points last night.

Luckily I made the game last night and I'm so glad I did. Here is what I noticed last night.
    The bad.
    We were out rebounded again, we still can't hit free throws, Odigie was double teamed, and at one point we were down by 17 in the 1st half.
    The good.
    We won, Thomas & Eze played only 15min, Hawkins finally let loose, Gilyard drove to the basket a lot, Lathon played like a 4*, and for the 1st time I saw these kids play with determination.

These kids are finally starting to gel. The kids understand each others jobs and limitations a lot better. This squeak of a win might very well be the catalyst these boys needed to start closing games out. Let's face it, the only good Thomas has been is on defense. I think the only solution to this kis on offense is giving him the ball only pass out to a scorer. Also, Eze needs to red shirt badly next year.
    Anyways, that was a Hell of a win last night.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

stanman505

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 09:53:27 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I heard something that got me excited about the future of the team last night from Coach Terry in his post game radio comments. He said that after the game on Thursday night Eze, Lathon and Hawkins came out after the game and worked on their shots for over an hour. This was done totally on their own and I love the leadership the three of them have shown.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 10:40:24 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yes!  Thanks for sharing that, Stan.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 12:51:48 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I heard it on the way home as well. Eze needs to work with other big men, while the guards can work off of each other.
    The great thing about the game was Hawkins found he had a very good mid range game. IMO, this is something underutilized in today's game. Teams gravitate towards the paint or the 3. A mid range player has more choices on offense. Gilyard utilizes it as well.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 01:02:20 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I heard it on the way home as well. Eze needs to work with other big men, while the guards can work off of each other.
    The great thing about the game was Hawkins found he had a very good mid range game. IMO, this is something underutilized in today's game. Teams gravitate towards the paint or the 3. A mid range player has more choices on offense. Gilyard utilizes it as well.

Agree.  The existence of the three forces defenses to guard the perimeter and the paint, leaving a huge gap in the 10-15 foot range.  It's often open for a pass or a shot fake and one or two dribbles.    Many players have difficulty with those shots because they've never really practiced them.  Omar Thomas scored a lot of points in that range.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 01:39:08 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• [/quote]

Agree.  The existence of the three forces defenses to guard the perimeter and the paint, leaving a huge gap in the 10-15 foot range.  It's often open for a pass or a shot fake and one or two dribbles.    Many players have difficulty with those shots because they've never really practiced them.  Omar Thomas scored a lot of points in that range.
    [/quote]

So, if you are a paint player, you can either power up, pivot, or pass out. A 3 point player can either shoot, circle the wagons, or pass in. A mid range player can drive, shoot, set up, pass in, pass out or combo with drive and pass.
    Sisy is right, because most are looking for the higher percentage paint shot or the risky but high rewards of the 3. It takes a high IQ kid to play the mid range game with success and we finally have a few kids who can work into that role. I thought Thomas was going to be that kid after his sophomore year, but he dropped off and left everyone hanging.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 08:16:33 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• Agree.  The existence of the three forces defenses to guard the perimeter and the paint, leaving a huge gap in the 10-15 foot range.  It's often open for a pass or a shot fake and one or two dribbles.    Many players have difficulty with those shots because they've never really practiced them.  Omar Thomas scored a lot of points in that range.
    [/quote]

So, if you are a paint player, you can either power up, pivot, or pass out. A 3 point player can either shoot, circle the wagons, or pass in. A mid range player can drive, shoot, set up, pass in, pass out or combo with drive and pass.
    Sisy is right, because most are looking for the higher percentage paint shot or the risky but high rewards of the 3. It takes a high IQ kid to play the mid range game with success and we finally have a few kids who can work into that role. I thought Thomas was going to be that kid after his sophomore year, but he dropped off and left everyone hanging.
    [/quote]

In addition, a player can often just sneak into that area and not be noticed because the responsible defender is watching the perimeter and doesn't really know how to cut that off.  You can pass to one wing, kick back up to the point and he can snap pass it right to the guy camping out at 15 for an immediate shot.  Defenders are out of position, but if the post players know what's coming they are there, and the shooter himself is in good position for a rebound if he misses.

Or, the defenders in the paint over-commit to stopping him and leave a post player open in the paint.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 08:27:22 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think the chance of drawing a foul and going to the line and fouling players out causes coaches and players to opt for the drive. Risk versus rewards thing.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 16, 2019, 06:04:30 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • True, but the numbers work better if your guys can actually make the free throw.  We only have two guys shooting better than 65%, and that's not good at all.  At least the two top guys are also the most likely to draw the fouls, Hawkins and Odigie.  Nice to see a big man with some touch from the line.