Author Topic: The Miners Defense Played Their Asses Off!  (Read 668 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
The Miners Defense Played Their Asses Off!
« on: October 27, 2018, 09:51:20 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It is a crying shame that the offense wasn't able to put any points on the board.  I said tonight's game and Dimel's starting quarterback might just tell me all I need to know.  Not quite.  He had a choice between his quarterbacks and went with the one that has led the team to an 0 and 7 season.  That is because he is a cold blooded, analytical, professional with years of experience and not swayed by the fire of one game provided by the third stringer he was forced to use last week.  Until he had spotted UAB a double digit lead.  The third string replacement instantly provides a spark missing as usual from the UTEP offense.  It is almost impossible to say anything about the play calling at that point because you can't say whether it is stupid because it was stupid to begin with or if it is stupid because it no longer fits the quarterback that is in the game now.  I am left to wonder about what the Hell happens over at the Durham Center offices.  Is the bottled water being delivered by the Spring Waters of NMSU and spiked with stupid.  Who and what kind of game do you figure we practiced all last week?  Locksley all of the snaps?  Practicing running and playing the kind of football that has been a continuation of the insanely stupid football of the Kugler era that has the potential to be one of the worst in the history of football, which is to say UTEP football?  Of course!  Cause that's how we roll!  It must piss someone in charge off pretty bad that the damned kid they refused to play all year keeps bring the comatose team out of the self induced coma only to show signs of life and maybe even an ability to play football.  This UTEP football is the strangest kind of Hell on Earth.  It leaves you wanting to kick nuts, to invent new unrelated and seriously psychotically troubled combinations of swear words borne of anger, frustration, and confusion, all mixed into a simmering, festering, unimaginable bad. 

Which brings us to the obvious question for next week.  Which quarterback will start.  Here is a little story I used to tell my students when they had done something wrong.  There are three kinds of people in this world.  There are the people who walk into a low doorway and knock the heck out themselves and the next time they do the same stupid thing.  Boom!  Run their heads right back into the doorway. Then there are the ones that run their heads into the doorway the first time and duck from that time on.  The third kind watches the first two and ducks the first time, learning from the other two's mistakes.  We know you are one of the third group, so now it is just a matter of deciding which of the other two you are going to be.  That brings me to Dimel.  I said the starter of this game would tell me something.  It did.  The kid with the spark of life is still his last choice.  Please excuse me, I am a UTEP Miners football fan and I have doorways to go run into and Miners wins to think about.  The harder I hit, the easier it is to think of wins.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: The Miners Defense Played Their Asses Off!
    « Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 11:22:34 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Yep, we're your witnesses that that is exactly what you thought because you have it in your last posts. I guess Kuglar's daddy was someplace besides his own home because he created a clone of Kug in Dimel. Why can't this coach see what's in the writing? I've said numerous times that just because we got our current QB from a Cabal school only because he was promised a head QB job even though he doesn't display the talent to be one is stupid. For a reason Texas or wherever he came from saw it early and wanted to give him another position because they knew he wasn't cut out as a QB. When and if Dimel gets his head out of his S and admits that Locksley isn't who should be under center will we at least have a chance at winning otherwise next year will be the same ol' crap. It doesn't take a coach to see that. Coaches are good at the Xs and Os of the game but don't necessarily have the common sense just because they coach.    >:(

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 12:54:43 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I am happy with what I have seen from Dimel during his first 10 months here and I think that our program is in really good hands with him.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 08:13:41 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I'm OK with the building that Dimel is doing. I am not happy with this years results. I dont think we can expect a winning season until Dimel's 3rd year. That being said, I am skipping on season tickets for football next year & will re-up for 2020. UTEP fucked me the last few years & I'm not happy about it.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 10:00:43 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I am not trying to be negative.   You must admit that throughout an 0-7 start I have not said too much.  Sometimes I am being a smartass when I pose questions and sometimes I am curious to hear others input.  So, in all honesty I think we have given it some time, we have had a chance to see what Coach Dimel has shown us for a half a season.

I must admit that with an 0- start, I find it hard to be too positive.  In the most important position on the team, the quarterback position, he has simply failed miserably to deal with the situation.  After years of Kugler running on every play, even the passes, he put himself in the position of choosing between the two he opened the season with.  Without saying a word about either of the two young men, Dimel is ultimately responsible for what they have done or not done.  Now, just looking at the two, can that be a shock?  Would any of you non Head Football Coaches been concerned about this situation, say maybe last spring?  On to the choice he made.  More running but with some wildly inaccurate passing thrown in once in a while over a somewhat normal quarterback  Now, the poor kid was put through the ringer by Kugler, and over the years showed that he did have some passing ability.  Now, if I am wrong about that description too much, please point it out.  Let me add, in his offense, a pocket passer is not what he wants.  He wants a pure combo passer who is also a running back and vice versa.  Ergo Locksley.  But, was there no third option?  And if you are the hc should it be a problem that you have two quarterbacks and one isn't right for your offense and the other seems to have some accuracy problems?  Finally, is it me, am I crazy to think that the other guy who is unknown apparently to the coaches is kind of what the coach wants and maybe just maybe better at it?

Ok, next area.  Play calling.  See above, because it isn't a bad play call if the pass should have been complete, and it stalls drives so it is a killer of drives and that too isn't play calling.  So, it seems to me that for this year, Coach Dimel has decided that he is going with what may be the future unless forced to do otherwise.  I'm just a tad tired of hard-headed, stubborn coaches at this time, especially when we are 0 and 8.  Take a fucking chance.  What is the worst that could happen?  A loss!?  I am all about not shaking a man's confidence, but I wouldn't send an unarmed man into battle.  Especially if I had another guy standing there already showing me he can shoot. That is chicken shit of me to keep allowing the kid to lose.

Next up.  Cupboards.  It seems to be somewhat a standard take that cupboards were left bare in the past.  I call bullshit!  I am an old fart but can recall the names of two fine quarterbacks, Garret Simpson nd Sullivan(Blaire maybe) Kugler ran off, along with Jordan Leslie the receiver for instance.  I will flat out tell you that CMP would not have had nearly the "dumpster fire" evaluation of what Kugler had inherited.  Or results.  So, now, it is Kugler who supposedly had left the team local but lacking.  Really?  He ran every play against 8 or nine man fronts and ran and controlled 45 minutes of the clock! That didn't stop.  It just doesn't win a lot of games!  AND WE ARE STILL WINNING THE FUCKING TIME OF POSSESSION!  NO Games, but damned near all of the minutes!  And the same cupboards is where the defense got its players and they have played inspired ball!

There you go.  To summarize, I believe HCD failed to take the proper steps to solve and questions there should have been at the most important position on the team.  Having done so, he has set a course almost doomed for failure, especially if he sticks to his guns.  Then, he has a possible answer dropped in his lap and sets it aside.  Now if he was winning, it would be really hard to second guess him, but ...at what point should HCD question himself?  How many losses would it take?  I don't really accept the bare cupboard excuse.  We are 0-7 under new head coach Dimel.  I don't know what you have to do to fail, but if zero and seven isn't it whhhhhhat do you have to do to get an "F".  A teacher's students who miss seven out of seven questions?..."But, Mrs. T, my students missed all seven of the questions on the test, but they are getting better!"  Work for you?  Not me.

One last thing.  Take the Tennessee uniforms and send them to Tennessee.  I'm surprised Tennessee hasn't filed a cease and desist order!  There is a reason for our color being orange and the orange it is.  We are part of the University of Texas system.  NOT TENNAFUCKINGC!

Done for now.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 10:57:37 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think we have a right to express dissatisfaction. No one on this board is a ban wagon fan. I actually would have been OK with all losses this year except for NMSU. When we lost that one, I just stopped giving a shit.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: October 28, 2018, 11:50:24 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I just view it a little differently, as I see coaches being forced to constantly limit and adjust their playcalling on offense.  I have even read some people complaining about playcalling on Saturday night, but do these same people realize that because of injuries this was our 7th different starting offensive line in 8 games this season?  Do people realize that we had 2 different O-line starters(Lee and Guerra) that started the La. Tech game just a week ago, who did not even play in the UAB game?  That’s almost half our O line that we lost from one week to the next.   Saturday was our 5th different starting Left Tackle this season, since the start of training camp(Long, Henry, Gray, Lee, and Klein).  This was our 2nd different true freshman Left Tackle who we have started this season and we had been redshirting this kid prior to Saturday, meaning that Saturday was also his very first D1 game experience.  We also had our starting QB(Metz)and FB(McKee) from the La. Tech game also not play against UAB, plus our starting RB(Wadley) didn’t practice all week due to injury and he barely played against UAB as well.....that’s literally our entire starting backfield and almost half of our o-line needing to be replaced in 7 just days!  So our coaches had to duct tape together our offense and then go out and play against the #10 ranked total defense in the ENTIRE nation which also starts 7 Seniors! 

Because of our extensive o-line injuries, 4 of our starting O lineman against UAB were listed as GUARDS at the start of the season.  So we had to start 4 guards and 1 tackle on the offensive line Saturday night.  Do people even understand how difficult this is?  Of course Dimel was smart to start the running QB, when we were having to play behind an O line of 4 natural guards who are going to have a hard time pass blocking.   Of course we had to then adjust both our pass protections and play calling to compensate for our 2 guards being forced to pass block out of position.  We had a game plan to help the best 11 players that we could put together on offense, which we then to adjusted again early in the game as our starting QB went down early in the game.  Then a 3rd string QB that Dimel found just 6 months ago(he wasn’t even here during spring ball) had to come in and finish the game.  Yet despite all of this, we were still in this game until late against the best team in our conference.

We are seeing the positive results that Dimel is getting out of relatively healthy defense.  Let’s just wait and see what he can do when he finally gets a healthy offense. 

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 11:56:28 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think we have a right to express dissatisfaction. No one on this board is a ban wagon fan. I actually would have been OK with all losses this year except for NMSU. When we lost that one, I just stopped giving a shit.

It’s a shame that a lot lf people are missing out on watching the best UTEP defense that we have had in a long time!  A lot of people are also missing out on seeing the foundation a new program beginning to be built.

kyyote

• Administrator
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 10:22:43 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So it is injuries that are to blame.  I will say that your post reinforces my contention that Kugler left linemen.  Even with all of those injuries and we had the linemen to put in.  Oh, but they can't pass block.  What the fucck!  I love you, but what was the excuse before the injuries?  Nope! 

Quarterbacks listed on the 2017 roster;

Mark Torrez RS F
    Zack Greenlee  S
    Ryan Metz J
    Alex Fernandes F
    Drew Ortiz F

2018 Roster:

Kai Locksley J
    Mark Torrez  S
    Brandon Jones J
    Ryan Metz  S
    Calvin Brownholtz F
    Alex Fernandes RS F

So, for the 0-7 run the quarterback of choice was Locksley.  Maybe Metz if you have to.  Did you need seven games to think maybe we should do something different?  Brandon Jones was on the roster.  Mark Torrez had played against OU, AZ, NMSU, and UNT.
    He had Metz Torrez and Fernandez from Kugler.  Shaky, so he brings in Locksley.  That is his answer.  So, how was that working out?  Here's your choice of answers.  Pick one;

a.  Great!  We have a special one right here!

b. good.  solid as a rock and getting the job done.

c. ok.  Not great but not a problem either.

d.  Not so good.  Kind of weak.  A problem.

e. No. Won't do. Unacceptable.

When did you know it?  How many games did you need as you went through the choices above each week?  Week 1 had to have dropped it right down past a and b, right?  That is game one!   Ok, ok, I am making that judgement after only one game.  How many?  Where were you after NMSU? SIX GAMES, ZERO AND SIX, and injuries force you to try somethng, someone else!  And that guy, behind all of the injuries and misplaced folks on his line is able to light a fire!  EVERONE except the coaches, evidently can see the difference, because the next game, he goes back to the guy who had given a rating of what, above?  Don't tell me it was injuries to the line.  Jones played behind the same front line as Locksley did.  Who the fuck do you think will start at quarterback next Saturday?  It is like Rod Serling shold appear and tell us that we havejust entered the Twilight Zone where Head Football Coaches are stuck in some kind of Hell where they can't stop doing stupid.  Where the fans are ready to come down out of the stands and make it stop, but the HC turns to them and smiles and tells the. But, weare getting  better."

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 29, 2018, 10:58:36 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I am not doing a good job of explaining the complete overview and everything that I am seeing.  So I will simply state that time will tell, but at this point I do feel confident in what I have seen from Dimel and his staff.  Regardless, we will get to see where Dimel has this program in a couple of years and I feel that it will be something that people are happy with.
    « Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 11:15:36 AM by UTEPDefense »