Author Topic: Basketball  (Read 16030 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball
« Reply #195 on: September 24, 2018, 07:01:24 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I am excited.  I'm sure this team will lose some games they shouldn't, but they may win a couple they shouldn't as well.  We will be getting a sneak preview of next year, and the years to come.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #196 on: September 25, 2018, 11:22:27 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So, a few months ago i ran into Tarke and Williams. Both of those kids are built like Derick Caracter. Just strong. I don't know what there footwork is like, but if it's good, then we should have a great inside scoring game and rebounding game. Odigie is also a really big kid. He just needs to get those 1st year jitters out of the way. Ezeagu is just flat out beast mode. He will for sure be that big man athletic spark. He's our Denis Rodman without the tats and funky hair. He's gonna be loud, obnoxious, and will get the crowd pumped after a block or a dunk. How can you not like that kind of energy?
    I really don't know what Ryaness will bring except relief for Odigie and Ezeagu this year. When I find out more about the guards, I'll post, but on paper they look very run and gun type of guys.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #197 on: September 25, 2018, 01:00:54 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • So, a few months ago i ran into Tarke and Williams. Both of those kids are built like Derick Caracter. Just strong. I don't know what there footwork is like, but if it's good, then we should have a great inside scoring game and rebounding game. Odigie is also a really big kid. He just needs to get those 1st year jitters out of the way. Ezeagu is just flat out beast mode. He will for sure be that big man athletic spark. He's our Denis Rodman without the tats and funky hair. He's gonna be loud, obnoxious, and will get the crowd pumped after a block or a dunk. How can you not like that kind of energy?
    I really don't know what Ryaness will bring except relief for Odigie and Ezeagu this year. When I find out more about the guards, I'll post, but on paper they look very run and gun type of guys.

I also saw a few BB players and one of them especially was HUGE! He was almost as big sideways as height wise. I think Character would look puny next to him. We have to teach this kid to take those charges that the guy that left was good at. He'd be a wall.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #198 on: September 25, 2018, 02:30:45 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
    We have to teach this kid to take those charges that the guy that left was good at. He'd be a wall.

Flaggert?

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #199 on: September 26, 2018, 12:37:59 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
    We have to teach this kid to take those charges that the guy that left was good at. He'd be a wall.

Flaggert?

That's the one. Thanks.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #200 on: September 26, 2018, 02:04:47 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Was roaming around in the Twitter world & came across this pic. Jalen Green is a 5☆ 6'5" SG recruit for 2020 from Fresno. I'm not sure about you guys, but you dont see our past coaches with pics like this & top recruits. We have a shot in getting this kid. Not a good shot, but a shot nonetheless.
    Go Miners.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #201 on: September 27, 2018, 10:51:05 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • While I will not be getting excited about this until I see him on the court for UTEP in a game, wouldn't it be something if CRT got an athlete like this after all the swings and misses by CTF.

Not bagging on Floyd, but CRT just seems like he's the Energizer bunny.  In an odd sort of way, it sometimes seems like teams take on the personalities of their coaches.  Here's hoping the Miners are as relentless on the court as he seems to be on the recruiting trail.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #202 on: September 27, 2018, 02:22:41 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I agree, SISY. This guys energy for a Head coach is off the charts. I just like how he gets out there with nothing to lose. I dont think his 1st year is going to be a success & I am curious how he will recruit after his 1st year of failing. That being said, he has set himself up for success for his 2nd year & I think that is the nugget we all have our eyes on.
    In regards to his 1st year, I hope he proves me horribly wrong.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #203 on: September 27, 2018, 06:23:34 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think he can still sell the rebuild in year 2.  He can still show progress and talk about the incoming players and expectations for the program.  I think players look at where the program is going.    Particularly if they come to visit, they will pick up on the mood of the players.  If they think the trajectory is up, they are OK, in fact some want to be part of the excitement of being one of the guys that made it happen.

Something needs to happen in year 2 though, because it'll be hard to sell year 3 of a rebuild if no progress is shown.

ATL-Miner

• 2019 Basketball Official Prediction Thread Champion 2020 Baskeball Official Prediction Thread Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #204 on: October 04, 2018, 05:02:47 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I had heard the Belgium kid that transferred from Fresno St had to sit out this year,, but found this tweet from the twitter feed earlier today. IMO, I think this player and Ountae Campbell could be much better walk-on players than we've seen in recent history. Campbell had transferred from Fresno to Casper College last year since Fresno was deep at his position but only played the first few games for Casper then left the team. Not sure of the reason.

#Blu⛏
    ‏ @UTEP_MBB
    7h7 hours ago

3️⃣3️⃣DAYS➡️TIPOFF

Gilles Dekoninck | SO | F
    Transfer from Fresno State is eligible for the 2018-19 season. Fun Fact: Gilles is from Belgium 🇧🇪 and likes to play soccer⚽️.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #205 on: October 10, 2018, 11:57:20 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Met with Coach Terry Friday evening at the Distinguished Alumni event. He felt very out of place, but made the best of it. He said this years team is very young and not to get upset when they screw up, because it's going to happen with frequency.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #206 on: October 10, 2018, 07:45:21 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Anyone go to open practice?

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #207 on: October 21, 2018, 08:49:21 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  •  :I'm sure some of you heard, but UTEP played Grand Canyon yesterday & lost 100-75. Hawkins scored 27 points. It was only a scrimmage & I wouldn't look too hard into the loss only because coach is teaching kids D1 style defense and with most being soph & freshmen, it makes sense. They also played a very established Dan Majerly team.
    At least we know we have a sharp shooter.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #208 on: November 01, 2018, 10:00:56 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • A buddy of mine sent me this pic who is a huge Tech fan. He said only 8 played & 3 fouled out. He said Lathon, Gilyard, & McGee can really ball, while the big men seemed lost & compensated by fouling.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #209 on: November 06, 2018, 10:12:47 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Game 1 tonight. Finally something I've been looking forward to for a long time. Keep in mind, I don't think we can expect to see a graceful team out there. We are looking at development and energy. I don't expect to see much of a crowd. Only the loyal few.