Author Topic: Basketball  (Read 16031 times)

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
    • View Profile
Re: Basketball
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2018, 12:50:24 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I agree with Fanaticoog on the other board, if we can land Niang(SF)and Ezeagu(C), then this will be a well rounded and impressive freshman recruiting class, with some scholarships still left over for either transfers or to use next year.  Getting Isaac would obviously be nice, but I think that Niang and Ezeago are the two most important targets for us at this point based on need.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: May 02, 2018, 02:34:15 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I agree with Fanaticoog on the other board, if we can land Niang(SF)and Ezeagu(C), then this will be a well rounded and impressive freshman recruiting class, with some scholarships still left over for either transfers or to use next year.  Getting Isaac would obviously be nice, but I think that Niang and Ezeago are the two most important targets for us at this point based on need.
    I agree 100%, UTEPDefense.
    While that Ezeagu (Canadian) kid would be huge, I don't think that one is likely. Then again, Terry has been landing some gems. Terry is picking up Fresno commits and nothing beyond that at this point. It's obviously a great start and I don't want it to end. Likekele at this point would be icing, as mentioned, but not a game changer. Adding some longer kids is what is needed right now. Either or both Niang & the Canadian would be really good, but bringing in an experienced Big Daddy Latin would change our basketball culture back to glory sooner than later.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: May 02, 2018, 03:11:57 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • If I was to guess, I would currently place Ezeagu as more likely than Niang. Ezeagu is due to visit here this upcoming weekend.  It's possible that we might know by this time next week if Ezeagu is going to be a Miner or not?

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: May 02, 2018, 08:39:16 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • exciting news!  Whatever else, we are scoring a high percentage of commits from players we are targeting.

Haskins Fan

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: May 03, 2018, 12:25:05 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Getting two of those 3 Isaac, Niang or Ezeagu would lead to a bright future.
    Terry can than go after Juco's or transfers to help this upcoming season.
    Ezeagu would be the best recruit due to our needs.

Go Miners...

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #50 on: May 03, 2018, 05:04:03 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It would be nice if there were people to welcome him like they did that other guy whose name I can't remember.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #51 on: May 03, 2018, 05:12:04 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It would be nice if there were people to welcome him like they did that other guy whose name I can't remember.
    Likekele. Come on, MOJO! Ezeagu, Niang, & Likekele. Very common, bro.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: May 04, 2018, 10:11:57 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Very big weekend starting today. Likekele will be visiting Stillwater OK for his last official visit. I'm betting he makes his decision in a few weeks. In also believe Ezeagu is visiting UTEP this weekend for an official. We could really use that kid here. If Terry can pull that off, we should have a pretty exciting team for a few years. If Terry can bring in a JUCO/Grad transfer big man, we can possibly make a run for the top 4 in the conference.
    Jim Senter has been very vocal for production NOW and not just down the road. If Terry can bring in some seasoned big men, we will see winning right now.

1- Gilyard (Magee, Hawkins)
    2- Osborne (Stroud, Highler)
    3- Likekele? (Wingett?)
    4- Thomas (?)
    5- Odigie (Ezeagu?)

I really like our guards. We need wings & size.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #53 on: May 04, 2018, 12:18:03 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I would like to be competitive this year.  Realistic?  Maybe not.  But it would make me happy.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #54 on: May 04, 2018, 12:54:57 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • If I was to guess, I would currently place Ezeagu as more likely than Niang. Ezeagu is due to visit here this upcoming weekend.  It's possible that we might know by this time next week if Ezeagu is going to be a Miner or not?
    Reason why I said unlikely is because Butler wants him & Frank Martin @ S. Carolina. Martin is my favorite coach aside from Izzo. If Terry lands that kid, then he truly would be the best recruiter I have seen here. Yes, more so than Billy G. Never better than El Oso, obviously. Winning games is another story.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #55 on: May 04, 2018, 02:10:52 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • What's impressive about Terry is that he has already beat out: Texas A&M, San Diego State, UNLV, New Mexico, Houston, Fresno State, and others in just his first 3 UTEP commitments.  All of those schools had offers to at least one of our first 3 commitments.  He is now battling it out with Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, South Carolina and Butler for some other recruits.  Putting this together so quickly shows that Terry knows what he doing in recruiting and college basketball success is probably more than 50% due to recruiting than it is coaching.

What Terry is already doing is also a big step up and at a different level compared to what we have been used to here lately under Floyd.  For instance Terry's early signee is now being recuited by Tech and OSU.  By comparison, Floyd's early signee Jacob Eyman is currently being recruited by Cal State Northridge and Eastern Washington.  I have also not seen any high level of recruiting interest in Martinez or Ochieng either since we let them out of their scholarships.  The fact that Terry previously signed Isaac and now the major programs are after him is also a good sign about Terry's ability to evaluate talent and secure that talent before they draw too much attention.
    « Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 02:16:40 PM by UTEPDefense »

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #56 on: May 05, 2018, 09:10:49 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Last night on news, Newton was signing LOI to a school in Indiana. Reporter asked why not UTEP and the kid responded he wasn't offered and had to move on.
    1st off, congrats to the kid. He will make an excellent student athlete. I wish him all the success in the world. 2nd, I'm OK with UTEP passing on him. While the kid would have made a great walk on here, Terry is under huge pressure to win NOW. The only way to do that is by picking up kids he knows that will fit in his system and have the high talent level to execute it. Kuglar got very local hoping to push ticket sales and not only didn't it work, but they couldn't win a game.
    I'm a firm believer in leaving for college, unless a full ride presents itself and inferior programs are competing for the same thing.
    My 2 boys will not be staying for school. They need to see the world outside of El Paso in order to appreciate where you come from. Newton leaving town will benefit him.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: May 05, 2018, 02:00:22 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Last night on news, Newton was signing LOI to a school in Indiana. Reporter asked why not UTEP and the kid responded he wasn't offered and had to move on.
    1st off, congrats to the kid. He will make an excellent student athlete. I wish him all the success in the world. 2nd, I'm OK with UTEP passing on him. While the kid would have made a great walk on here, Terry is under huge pressure to win NOW. The only way to do that is by picking up kids he knows that will fit in his system and have the high talent level to execute it. Kuglar got very local hoping to push ticket sales and not only didn't it work, but they couldn't win a game.
    I'm a firm believer in leaving for college, unless a full ride presents itself and inferior programs are competing for the same thing.
    My 2 boys will not be staying for school. They need to see the world outside of El Paso in order to appreciate where you come from. Newton leaving town will benefit him.

The military can do that too, Chans. What do the Drill Sergeants tells us, "let us make a man out of
    you". It works.

Dawgma

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #58 on: May 06, 2018, 12:43:05 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Me friends and I got to speak to Coach Terry at "dinner with the miners" on Thursday.  I stopped him and welcomed him to El Paso, and I swear he must have talked with us for about ten minutes without even a hint of "I need to be somewhere else".  He said that its been very hard to get settled here and recruit at the same time, but there's no doubt he's been working it hard.  He told me that he actually turned down the UTEP job the first time it was offered because Rick Barnes and staff sat him down and talked him out of it.  He really regretted not taking it at that time so when he heard that Floyd was stepping down, he kept one eye on how things were developing here in El Paso and one eye on preparing his team with the Mountain West Tourney.  His mom told him that God puts where you oughta be, when you oughta be there. We also met coach Lamont Smith who didn't stay that long because he didn't have his name tag on.

Listening to him speak, if I was talented and young again I'd come here.  He really thinks this is a great job to have and that we could build something nice. He's thinking about having a pre-basketball banquet to introduce himself and the team.  They did it at Fresno and it became a big thing.

He also said that when he first got to Fresno he went out and filled his squad with the best athletes he could. He said he learned from that so this time he is going to be more picky about his choices.  He really liked Trey Wade and hoped he would stay, but he likes his core team.  Both Trey and Tyrus weren't feeling it.  Coach asked Tyrus you came on a recruiting trip and liked it then, what happened?

The coaches now are really really different from the elitist attitudes we had from some of the coaches in the past.  I feel very enthusiastic.  Senter wasn't there and darn Nattylosio gave yet another lame apology for not being there since Dancing With The Stars finals were on that night.

At our table was Darren Gatewood offensive line and Josh Fields.  Both love the new coaches and are very pumped to play this next season.  They were also great kids.  Told Josh how I used to "hate" him in high school with his duels against my cousin, but that I recognized how talented he was.  He laughed especially when I told him I was realty glad he was playing with my cousin then against him.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #59 on: May 06, 2018, 09:45:54 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Nice, Dawg