Author Topic: New UTEP staff offers a couple of JUCOs  (Read 2558 times)

stanman505

• Prospector
    • View Profile
New UTEP staff offers a couple of JUCOs
« on: December 16, 2017, 03:35:17 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Emmit Gooden DE 6'4" 305 lbs, 4*, has offers from tons of schools but has only visited Arkansas.
    Daymon Murray DB 6'1" 204 lbs, has offers from Temple, Idaho St. and UTEP
    Connor Taylor LB 6'1" 225 lbs.  I did see that he also has an offer from La. Tech
    Trevor Szilagyi OL 6'5" 260 lbs.  Has an offer from Northern Colorado.  Class of 2018 H.S.

I have been following Coach Canales on twitter and he is now in California recuriting.  So far this week he was in Iowa and Oklahoma.  I am liking what I am seeing from this staff.

EMA884

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    Re: New UTEP staff offers a couple of JUCOs
    « Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 06:31:56 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think this is a great sign of better days ahead for UTEP football. Canales appears to be dedicated to this job and seems to take pride in what he's doing. Very refreshing.

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 08:55:36 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Please coach, sign some WRs!

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 06:39:04 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Also an offer to Kyle Stapley, OL at Snow JC in Utah. Several offers now to Snow JC players but they have a QB, Shane Johnson, that had a strong season and can't find any offers for him. Dual threat that had a 17 to 3 TD to INT ratio and 7 rushing TDs.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 12:23:40 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I like that Canals has offered these people scholies but how many have said "yes?"

Nothing against what you posted you're just the messenger and I appreciate your work but I would love to see a few signers.

UTEPDefense

• Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 04:38:15 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I like that Canals has offered these people scholies but how many have said "yes?"

A few random recruiting thoughts:

1.)  Players usually won’t commit until after they visit the school.  I doubt that we are having any official visits until after Dimel leaves KSU and actually starts at UTEP.  Canales is likely(hopefully) laying the groundwork for some upcoming visits, by making these offers.

2.)  This staff was really placed behind the eight ball, by being brought in so late.  Also, as mentioned above, their head coach still has not even started yet.  I would be really impressed if they are able to put together a good class this year.  The bigger question is if they can sign a good class for next year, after having a full year to recruit/prepare/evaluate.

3.)  We really need to sign a field goal kicker.  Let’s hope that Dimel has gotten that message.
    « Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:28:38 AM by UTEPDefense »

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 07:01:32 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I would have thought that El Paso would turn out a disproportionate number of kickers.

KiddMiner

• Assayer
    • Picks Up!! GO MINERS!!!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 07:39:34 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • If Coach Canales can land 1-3 of these kids during this transitional period then I would have to believe our FB fortunes will change going forward as when the whole staff is finally together I can only imagine the kids they can bring in.  ;)

We shall see....picks crossed.
    Picks Up!! GO MINERS!!!

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 05:00:20 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • No signed LOI's today but Dimel did say that they would have January visits for recruits, including mid-year transfers. JC mid-year transfer signing period is from Dec 20 thru Jan 15. Hopefully a handful of needed skill position players will be brought in by then.

utep2step

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 10:30:56 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It's common for new mid major coaches to aim high to get the brand out. Kugler was the only one that I know of that did the opposite. Nord didn't have to because he took over for Bailey and already had his players in place (and also because the seniors led by LB Merkens demanded Stull hire Nord or they would quit).

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 01:53:56 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I guarantee if Dimel had signed a big player, we would have seen it. The fact is he has all under radar players & big players aren't attracted to that. It's smart to wait right now.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 06:14:50 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Since 1/12 thru 1/15 is the LOI signing period for mid-year JC transfers, I'm going to keep this thread around and active. There has already been a grad transfer from K State and may be more soon. Hopefully Dimel's son Winston will join the Miners. He has done a great job at fullback for K State but he may want to finish his career with his current teammates. A number of 3 star JC recruits will be visiting UTEP a week from today.

Here is a little encouragement from a UTEP player that has used up his eligibility:

Tanner Stallings‏
    @tstal68 

Really wish I could have redshirted so I could play for these new coaches they seem to have it going on 💪🏽 @UTEPFB

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 11:41:08 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I like chances in Dimel son coming. He would have a guaranteed job right out of college. That would not be likely T KSU.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

UTEPfan

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 02:36:35 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

Nothing against what you posted you're just the messenger and I appreciate your work but I would love to see a few signers.
    It doesn't help things that we finished 0-12.  Many of these guy will wait as long as they can to land a better offer. 

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 09:38:40 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • UTEP does have it's first commit in Hassan Belton, a LB out of Butler CC in Kansas. 3 star recruit out of HS. We also have the DE grad transfer from K State that did not play much there but was also a 3 star recruit out of HS. This is an important weekend coming up with the mid-year JC transfer signing period from 1/12 thru 1/15. We need a dual threat QB that can run the new offense.