Author Topic: Well, Somebody Has To Talk About Miners Football  (Read 5978 times)

kyyote

• Administrator
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Well, Somebody Has To Talk About Miners Football
« on: July 18, 2017, 12:53:38 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This a blog post I put up a month ago when the site was just coming back up, but I wanted to post it here where it can be discussed.

It has been awhile since I did much writing on my blog, but recent problems with the website has forced me to add content and what the heck, someone has to talk about UTEP Miners football.  There are many sub topics to Miners football worthy of discussion and the beaten down Miners don’t deserve to be kicked while they are down, especially by those who want so very much for the team and school to be successful.  We have the Den message board for debates so I am not going to take sides.  I just want to pose a serious question that is kind of out there.

The Miners’ upcoming schedule seems to have been made by someone with a grudge against UTEP. Add to that the fact that the Miners have just seen their perhaps best back in history get drafted by the NFL and leave some very large cleats to fill. A very reasonable preseason prediction of wins and losses looks at a three win season and 9 losses.  Viewing the schedule through my darkest orange colored glasses 6 wins would be amazing. That’s how we roll, here in the city of the Pass to the North.  That is what seasons seem to always look like.  The names change but the results stay the same.  The annual competition between the Miners and the Aggies is pretty much what it devolves into for the ultimate bragging right to say “We aren’t as bad as you!” We don’t dare say that to anyone else.  Coach Kugler, a man of unquestionable character, has done basically like all of the rest have done.  Like water seeking its own level, the program seems to do the same thing and that level is about 2.5 wins per season over time.  Maybe 3.5 in recent years.  This is probably his last year unless he is up towards the high end of the projection of wins.

Now, here is my crazy question. Kugler has cleaned house and has the players performing well in the classroom.  No one can say that a college football Head Coach in Div 1 that has his student athletes making good grades and progressing towards their degrees is a bad thing.  And if the team seems to not be able to rise above the level of wins and losses, at least having good students is some kind of improvement, right?  If the attendance is down to 25 thousand fans willing to come out and watch the improved student athletes do what the team has done for what seems to be forever, the athletes are getting good grades, and add to that a university president that is really about educating the students in this area more than anything else, more than any other university president in the country maybe, where new buildings are popping up like mushrooms after a spring rain and enrollment is at an all-time high so money is good, is it possible that the University of Texas at El Paso could be moving toward dropping down to Div 1AA?  Ask yourself what would happen if UTEP did that in all sports but Men’s Basketball?  Think about the money part.  Plus or minus on the balance sheet.  Good golly, the team could keep two games a year against the Aggies.  There it is.  My blog is kind of where I can get away with posing questions like this to get the juices flowing out there.  Crazy?  Maybe.

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    Re: Well, Somebody Has To Talk About Miners Football
    « Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 03:27:04 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I think dropping to a D1aa would be horrible. In fact disastrous.

It would say that the school is a failing school, especially since tons of others are moving up to D1. (Old Dominion, Incarnate Word, UTSA, etc.) The other reasons would be the history (Sun Bowl) as well as dropping from being the only D1 4yr school in an 800k population town. That's like getting your balls kicked after you lost the fight.
    The Texas Board of Regents would no way allow El Paso to get taken over by Texas Tech. Going down that path would drop UTEP's momentum so far that Natalicio can pretty much kiss that Tier I opportunity good bye. Last I checked, that was a top priority for her and the Regents. On top of that, it would no way help getting talent for the only surviving D1 sport on campus (basketball). UTEP would no longer be a place for young coaches to prove themselves. It would be a place for coaches to die. Floyd and Price are the exception to that rule, because both came in with sick credentials.

"But doing so will make more $$ available and yada yada yada." Bull Crap. Tarnishing the reputation of a school on purpose is suicide. A lot more than money will be lost in the long run.

Not only should it not happen, it won't. 
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 06:22:43 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Hopefully dropping to FCS is not an option being considered and I don't believe it is. UTEP right now has the 4th largest athletic budget out of 14 CUSA schools.  UTEP spends more on recruiting than most, which is understandable given El Paso's distance from prime recruiting areas for both FB and MBB.

I think most of us were taken aback when Kugler was hired. Kugler was a position coach, for God's sake and never a head coach at any level. Stull should never have done that. A successful coach at some level would have given credence to the new man and hope to UTEP fandom. After all, Price had been successful prior to UTEP and Stull himself was hired as the head coach at UTEP after being a successful head man at then D1-AA UMass. Not that I think Kugler can't be successful but it's this year or he's done IMO.

The fans will be back in force if/when the program is reasonably successful. Maybe this is the year.

utep2step

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 08:32:18 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • FBS/D1A is a status you covet for as long as you can. You don't want to go down. Think about it: NMSU is sacrificing equestrian programs to stay in FBS football. It is a land grant farm school. That like asking BYU to stop their missions for budgetary reasons so the money goes to football (they'd probably do it, too). 

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 06:21:34 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Speaking of Miner football, Kappy said on the other board that Kugler's contract was amended in the summer of 2015 (after the 7 win season of 2014) to extend him thru Aug of 2020. I did a Google search for that contract and Kappy is correct. That means Kugler is safe thru the 2019 season and he will have been at UTEP for 7 season by then. 

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 07:32:09 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don't understand why Stull does that.  It won't stop a coach from moving up to a name school if he is successful.  All it does is tie our own hands.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 10:24:44 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • It means Kuglar is given rope to start winning and bringing in revenue. I'm not sure if you all know, but the Miners are getting new helmets this year and the athletic program doesn't make enough money to support it as well as itself. I'm not just talking about football, I'm talking about all sports. We all know successful athletic programs across the country are supported by the revenue from football. Not in UTEP's case. The school compensates by taking from other departments. That might be a reason why Natalicio is apprehensive in giving more to football.
    Anyway, Kuglar needs to start winning and filling that stadium.

Now, about the team. I got from a good source that the defense is going to be OK. The secondary and the linebackers are really going to impress. The question is the defensive line. I heard they are struggling and they need to step up or teams are going to run all over us. I also heard the offense is going to be good as well. Because we have such a good line, the running backs are going to look good. We won't see as many breakaways as we did with Jones, but punching 4 to 5 yards at a time will tire out defenses and allow Metz to spread the ball. With all the line backers we have, we should have better coverage in special teams.

I guess the thing now is to not get so banged up against Oklahoma and keep Metz healthy. Greenlee does have a year of working with this offense and should be a good back up, but he doesn't have the talent to be starting. IMHO
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 01:09:16 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I really hope this is true. 

I don't want to sound Debbie Downer, but the secondary was really bad last year.  Did you hear anything specific about why they are suddenly going to be good this year?

Of course, if the D line can't hold against the run, then the coach will have to bring players up into the box for run support and that leaves our secondary isolated.  If we are likewise unable to pressure the QB, it will take future NFL type secondary to be good enough to make a difference.

You also mention having Metz spread the ball.  Have you heard anything to indicate that it will get spread, in particular vertically as opposed to all horizontally?

I do still believe that Kug is correct that games are won and lost on the lines.  If the O-line is that good, and the D-line can be acceptable we could have a reasonably good season.

Against Oklahoma, I hope we play Metz very sparingly indeed unless magic starts happening and it appears winnable.

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 04:10:16 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Sisy,

The secondary is on their 3rd & 4th year. (Jr's & Red Shirt Jr's.) They have been sucking it up for the last few years now. This was Kug's 1st fix of the season. He didn't bring in unproven kids. He made our current kids better. Let's face it, the secondary has seen two DC in two years. They are finally used to Mason and what he wants. The D line is not hitting assignments well. They do have the athleticism, but are making mistakes and are indecisive. Once the D line hits the assignments hard, it allows the line backers to make plays. The lengthy play book for the D Line is what the kids are having issues with. Once they have assignments down, working with each other will come naturally.
    UTEP will always be a running team under Kuglar, but Pease will be throwing the ball a lot more than you are used to. Nowhere close to Mike Price, but he has been given the reins to pass for the sake of spreading the ball more so than it being a an offensive staple. Plus, it also makes more sense with Metz being a great pocket passer.

Another note on the D line. They are practicing against a superior offensive line.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 04:33:42 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The O-line is deemed the best in C-USA by Phil Steele, usually pretty accurate. Metz is becoming a  solid QB. Several good RB's but unproven. WR could be good if put to use. The D is supposed to be a strength this year. If all of that holds true, could be a pretty decent season.

I won't expect a lot vs OU since they are considered good enough to make the CFP this year. That's the wrong team to judge the Miners against. If they compete well and don't get humiliated, I'll consider that a good showing. La Tech lost to OU in 2014 in their 1st game 48-16 and still won 9 games, including a bowl win over Illinois. That OU team was not nearly as good as this one is supposed to be.  UTEP has gotta beat Rice in the home opener to get this season on the right track.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 07:33:39 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Thanks Chanson.  Lots of people come on and say things, but I know you actually have reasons behind the things you say.

EMA884

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 07:40:27 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Chanson, do you know what the new helmet design looks like?

Chanson

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 11:30:25 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don't. That is super secret. Only a couple of folks know and I am not one of them. Which means I am not special at all. Let's just hope the new helmet will match a new era of football.

MinerMaestro

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 09:05:53 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I don't. That is super secret. Only a couple of folks know and I am not one of them. Which means I am not special at all. Let's just hope the new helmet will match a new era of football.

"My centre is giving way, my right is retreating, situation excellent, I am attacking."
    - Gen Ferdinand Foch

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 06:42:35 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Does Kugler actually get it that his offense is too predictable? This quote from the EP Times:

"With Metz established as the starting quarterback, we'll be more balanced, that's essential this year," Kugler said. "We're faster (at receiver) than we have been, I think this is the best group of receivers we've had since I've been here."