Author Topic: Louisiana College Game  (Read 726 times)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
Louisiana College Game
« on: November 11, 2017, 08:10:59 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Well, well, well. What have we here?

Just as I said a while back. We are where we need to be.
    I was at the game last night. I didn't really look at the crowd size, but all were very spirited. The 1st half of the game was total domination. UTEP scored at will and played defense the way it should be played. The 2nd half was more of the same on offense, but fell short on the defense. The good thing is UTEP didn't allow them to do anything in the paint, but the Wildcats started to get hot from beyond the arc and the perimeter defenders got lazy at times. The game was not as close as the score implies, because Floyd played every scenario he could think of.
    Let's break down each player from top to bottom.
    Willms- Once again, he was too much for a smaller team. He hit a jumper and was moving better. He still needs to work on his free throws.
    Smith- The kid is a beast. He has better control of the fouling, he blocked shots, cleared the paint, and was in better shape. He knocked down his free throws and made monster dunks. He is a force we have never seen in the paint at a freshman level.
    Thomas- He slashed to the rim, played good defense, made jumpers, and made his free throws. He will be great.
    Flaggert- He didn't play much, but he did take charges and played great defense.
    Wade- Looked a little off, but he still looks great. He will be fine.
    Frazier- The kid came out of his shell. He made a few mistakes, but he is fantastic.
    Omega- He looked much better and didn't seem to be favoring his back. He drove and made shots. He will be fine.
    Touchet- His defense is great, but he had the chance to hit a few open shots, but decided to push it out. The kid really needs confidence.
    McGee- He didn't score, but didn't turn over. He is quick and finds the open man. He will be fine.
    Gilyard- I really like this kid. He is too fast for his own good. He dishes out the ball quickly, but Willms and others couldn't handle how quick the ball got to them. They will gel with time.

We have a pretty good team, boys and girls.

Go Miners
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

stanman505

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    Re: Louisiana College Game
    « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 08:45:26 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • You forgot Isiah Osborne.  He looks really smooth.  He was 7-10 from the floor and 3-4 from three point.  He reminds me of Perry Ellis from Kansas.  He doesn't look fast but he has a good feel for the game.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 10:22:21 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The protege from Chicago (reminded me of Hardaway) was my favorite player among a few that really impressed me even as a freshmen. Man, that Gilyard is an exciting player to watch. Not so much for his scoring but the way he is so confident bringing the ball in. His passes had a lot of zip and perhaps after the team starts playing more with him they'll get used to them.

At the time CTF played 4 freshmen and 1 sophomore it was a good feeling that their level of play was still higher, much higher, than the other team. I realize that La. College was a DivIII school but our players were still heads above their talent level and they really showed talent.

What I saw in these new players is a confidence not seen last year. I saw players driving to the basket, shooting 3's with precision, taking charges without fear, bringing the ball downcourt, shooting free throws and making them (what a concept, making your free throws), and a hustle that told me these new guys are winners and want to win.

To think that we will have a good number of these freshmen for another 3 years gives me hope. A hope that perhaps they will bring our beautiful and proud school to what has been missing, a championship caliber team.

GO MINERS!

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 11:19:18 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • You forgot Isiah Osborne.  He looks really smooth.  He was 7-10 from the floor and 3-4 from three point.  He reminds me of Perry Ellis from Kansas.  He doesn't look fast but he has a good feel for the game.
    My bad. Osborne looks great as well. He actually looked better than Wade. He played good D and hit his shots.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

stanman505

• Prospector
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 11:21:46 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • The protege from Chicago (reminded me of Hardaway) was my favorite player among a few that really impressed me even as a freshmen. Man, that Gilyard is an exciting player to watch. Not so much for his scoring but the way he is so confident bringing the ball in. His passes had a lot of zip and perhaps after the team starts playing more with him they'll get used to them.

At the time CTF played 4 freshmen and 1 sophomore it was a good feeling that their level of play was still higher, much higher, than the other team. I realize that La. College was a DivIII school but our players were still heads above their talent level and they really showed talent.

What I saw in these new players is a confidence not seen last year. I saw players driving to the basket, shooting 3's with precision, taking charges without fear, bringing the ball downcourt, shooting free throws and making them (what a concept, making your free throws), and a hustle that told me these new guys are winners and want to win.

To think that we will have a good number of these freshmen for another 3 years gives me hope. A hope that perhaps they will bring our beautiful and proud school to what has been missing, a championship caliber team.

GO MINERS!

I wouldn't count on that mojo.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 12:24:29 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Sigh...well, yeah. Like I said I can only hope.  :-\