Author Topic: AD update?  (Read 2137 times)

SisyphusMiner

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion 2013
  • Sourdough
    • View Profile
AD update?
« on: November 07, 2017, 07:01:14 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Is there a minimum length of time an opening must be posted before being filled?  Are they waiting till the season is over?  Is there and viable reason for waiting this long besides just being El Paso and tomorrow is as good as today?

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    Re: AD update?
    « Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 07:53:12 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Is there a minimum length of time an opening must be posted before being filled?  Are they waiting till the season is over?  Is there and viable reason for waiting this long besides just being El Paso and tomorrow is as good as today?

I doubt the length of time requirement is longer than 10 working days. That's the reference I found using google for Texas state job openings. The AD position was posted 9/19 so that isn't the issue. Dr. Natalicio did say it would be Nov before it was filled and here we are. Surely they are about to tell us who it is.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 11:33:27 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • El Paso's KTSM TV sports says they found out who the 3 finalists are for UTEP AD:

Chris Park - Assoc. AD at UTEP
    Lisa Campos - AD at NAU
    Jim Senter- AD at Citadel

Late Nov for final decision.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 12:09:28 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • I know very little of any of them except that my guy feeling tells me I don't like them for AD. When will UTEP learn that nepotism of a sort (UTEP ties) doesn't work. With so mannnnnnnyyyyyy Associate ADs in the country and they have to almost go back to the same ol', same ol'.   >:(

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 12:44:04 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • This is what you do if you don't know anything about the position you're hiring for and you don't really think it's all that important.  It's the low effort low risk approach.  The question I have is why anyone who has been associated with the program in the past would ever want to come back.  They have to realize Natalicio is pretty close to retirement and the next president might actually demand results.

zyxwvutsru

• 2013 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football
    • Assayer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 12:47:36 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • ABC...Anyone but Campos.  >:(

Montee

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 09:10:07 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Worked with Lisa, she would be great AD at utep.

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 02:19:32 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Worked with Lisa, she would be great AD at utep.
    So you think she has the ability to raise serious money, to hire good coaches, and to hire competing marketing people?
    I don't know anything about her, I like that she's young enough to still have energy, but basically why should we think that she has the ability to transform a Div 1 program from one of the worst in the country to at least acceptable?  Interested in your insight, because our history with "keep it in the family" hires is abominable.

Montee

• Worm
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 11:53:25 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Haven’t spoken to Lisa in years, but this is what i can say from when i did work for her, she has a passion for UTEP, she also an academic, highly intelligent women, maybe even one of the smartest women i have worked for.  I was literally the lowest man on staff and she would come and speak with me as i was an equal. Bob on the other hand didn’t even know my name.  She was very down to earth.  When she worked at UTEP there wasn’t an event she was not at. One weekend there was a volleyball game Friday night, which ran late and the next morning she drove us to New Mexico for a noon game, then back to El Paso following the game to a soccer game. She could have easily missed the football game. But she does have that youthful energy to put in the work.  She already has a relationship with the donors and i can tell you relationships are worth there weight in gold in fund raising. As far as hiring a coach, I believe (i could be wrong)she use to do the football scheduling while she was her and got us some great home games. While here she hired Murphy and cross both successful coaches.  She would do her homework before a hire and not just pick a hot name.
    Bottom line is i have met both park and Lisa and hands down Lisa is the best choice. I’m not sure if that answers your question but hopefully it brings some insight
    As far as marketing i can tell you bob didn’t believe in it, hence the situation we have now

SisyphusMiner

• Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 09:58:31 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Thank you.  My default mode is sarcasm but I was asking a sincere question and you gave a thoughtful answer.  I am so gun-shy about the nepotism hires that maybe I disdain some actual talented candidates.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 06:55:16 AM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Quote from: Montee link=topic=)176.msg1176#msg1176 date=1510340005

As far as marketing i can tell you bob didn’t believe in it, hence the situation we have now

I can certainly believe that since so many quotes from Stull are similar; "we aren't Texas" (so don't expect much) and "we will have good attendance when we win" (so we will wait until that happens before we worry about the small crowds), etc.

MinerInWisconsin

• Explosives Engineer
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 12:21:22 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• MinerRush‏
    @sbnminerrush 

UTEP AD candidate Jim Senter is here in El Paso touring the campus.

Minermojo

• 2014 2015 and 2018 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Football and 2018 OPT Champ Basketball and 2018 PreSeason Prediction Challenge Champion
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 12:23:09 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0

• MinerRush‏
    @sbnminerrush 

UTEP AD candidate Jim Senter is here in El Paso touring the campus.

I'm not being sarcastic but do you have any info on who this guy is?   :)

Chanson

• 2016 Official Prediction Thread Champion-Basketball
    • Sourdough
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 12:43:09 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Not much. Only that he was AD at Citadel since 2014 and was Assoc. AD at Colorado starting 2011. The guy is interviewing today. This seems to be our only outside (of Stull) guy.
      "He who has nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature & has no chance of being free unless kept so by better men than himself.

kuhlero

• Prospector
    • UTEP MINERS!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 02:13:30 PM »
  • [applaud]0
  • [smite]0
  • Citadel AD on UTEP campus today as per shatter.
    "Regardless"- My Tio Tencho